One-Liner Wednesday — Don’t Be An Asshole

18854FBE-1D3C-47FA-9DD2-22314DA989FDI know this is supposed to be a one-line quote for Linda G. Hill’s One-Liner Wednesday prompt. But this week I decided to include an entire quote from Texas Republican Congressman Will Hurd. Last month, Hurd, the only black Republican in U.S. House of Representatives, announced that he will not be seeking re-election in 2020.

At a meeting this past June of “Log Cabin Republicans” — an organization that works within the Republican Party to advocate for equal rights for lesbian and gay Americans — Hurd said of the Republican Party:

“This is a party that is shrinking. The party is not growing in some of the largest parts of our country. Why is that? I’ll tell you. It’s real simple. Don’t be an asshole. Don’t be a racist. Don’t be a misogynist, right? Don’t be a homophobe. These are real basic things that we all should have learned when we were in kindergarten.”

8 thoughts on “One-Liner Wednesday — Don’t Be An Asshole

1. anne leueen September 4, 2019 / 7:15 am

Thank you for this entire quote. I love it. I actually read it out loud to my husband as well.

• Fandango September 4, 2019 / 7:31 am

It’s so rare these days for a Republican politician to be so blunt…and honest.

• anne leueen September 4, 2019 / 2:04 pm

I also shared it to my personal Facebook page. I like to spread the word that there is hope and that not all politicians are complete idiots.

2. Laura September 4, 2019 / 11:12 am

Simple. Straightforward. Seemingly doable. Yeah, this is why the Republican party is shrinking.

3. leigha66 September 5, 2019 / 11:59 am

This is the kind of politician we need more of. Great quote!

4. Marleen September 5, 2019 / 8:29 pm