A Bigger Not Better Rant

3C93F024-4024-4AB1-9D65-B951FD0FDBFFI don’t know if you can read the fine print on the lower right corners of these two boxes of Special K cereal. In case you can’t, both boxes say “NET WT 12 OZ (340g).” But the box on the right is about an inch and a half taller than the one on the left.

When I ran out of Special K cereal yesterday morning, I went to the grocery store to get another box, along with some other groceries while there. I noticed that the Special K box seemed to be larger than it was before, but I thought maybe it was just my imagination. Until, that is, I got home, unpacked my grocery bags, and went to put my new box of Special K onto the shelf where I keep my cereal. The box was too tall to fit. A taller box, but the same volume of cereal as the smaller box that it replaced.

What’s that all about? Is it intended to deceive the consumer into thinking they’re getting more for their money? Well, if they don’t bother to read the package to see that the smaller box and the larger box have the same net weight of cereal, they might conclude that they’re getting more cereal in the bigger box. But they’re not. It’s just the same amount of cereal in a larger box.

I’ve reached out to Kellogg’s to try get to the bottom of this. Why package the exact same amount of cereal in a larger box if it’s not to give the false impression that the buyer of Special K is getting more cereal? I haven’t yet heard back from Kellogg’s, and I probably won’t.

But if nothing else, this whole episode has demonstrated to me that I clearly have too much time on my hands. And also that size matters.

12 thoughts on “A Bigger Not Better Rant

1. Marilyn Armstrong September 3, 2019 / 8:37 pm

It beats out making the price the same but the item smaller until you can’t even find the product anymore.

• Fandango September 3, 2019 / 10:48 pm

Oh the games these food companies play.

2. rugby843 September 4, 2019 / 1:26 am

I’m sure my neighbors are wondering why I’m laughing at 2:25 am. It’s all your fault.🤗

3. Christine Bolton September 4, 2019 / 5:41 am

Bigger is better? Was the price the same? They are probably charging more to pay for the extra cardboard 😔 I hate this kind of foolery.

4. newepicauthor September 4, 2019 / 6:21 am

They are giving you free air in the larger box, some day in the future you may have to pay for that.

5. Melanie B Cee September 4, 2019 / 7:48 am

LOL. And here I was bitching about WordPress. Now who has too much time on their hands? 😛

6. oneletterup September 4, 2019 / 8:16 am

This reminds me of the quarts of yogurt I buy. One day it says it’s 130 calories per portion. Large print on the label. The next time I buy it, it lists100 calories. Is it magically now lower in calories? No – the “portion size” – listed in tiny print – is now 3/4 Cup instead of 1 Cup. Yup…size does matter!

7. pensitivity101 September 4, 2019 / 2:21 pm

This is quite common over here and you think you have a bargain. The other ‘con’ is to not have stock for a while and then reintroduce it. The purchaser is glad and probably doesn’t notice that the box may be the same size, but less weight within.

8. Richmond Road September 4, 2019 / 4:25 pm

The cardboard packaging is actually more nutritious than the contents – so you may be onto a good deal.

• Fandango September 4, 2019 / 8:36 pm

You’re probably right!

9. leigha66 September 4, 2019 / 9:17 pm

It’s a waste of extra cardboard for nothing,.. they are killing trees! Maybe you should write them another letter and tell them that. 😉

Comments are closed.