The Idiots We Elect

5A3BBFDF-0528-4CCB-855C-68E030A54342Matt Schaefer is an American attorney and Republican politician who is currently serving in the Texas House of Representatives.

In light of the yesterday’s mass shooting in Odessa, Texas, the second mass shooting in Texas in less than a month, this Texas politician went on Twitter to express his position, as a Texas state lawmaker, on how he would “do something” about all of the gun violence in Texas and all across the country. Are you ready for this?78C7EE00-A6CF-4328-AF93-3C7F662E8EB3Here are his statements for what he is and is not vowing to do:

• I am NOT going to use the evil acts of a handful of people to diminish the God-given rights of my fellow Texans. Period. None of these so-called gun-control solutions will work to stop a person with evil intent.
  • I say NO to “red flag” pre-crime laws. NO to universal background checks. NO to bans on AR-15s, or high capacity magazines. NO to mandatory gun buybacks.
  • What can we do? YES to praying for victims. YES to praying for protection. YES to praying that God would transform the hearts of people with evil intent. YES to fathers not leaving their wives and children. YES to discipline in the homes.
  • YES to supporting our public schools. YES to giving every law-abiding single mom the right to carry a handgun to protect her and her kids without permission from the state, and the same for all other law-abiding Texans of age.
  • YES to your God-given, constitutionally protected rights. YES to God, and NO to more government intrusions.

So, in summary, Matt Schaefer, a Republican Texas state representative, says no to any and all gun reform initiatives and yes to prayers. No to bans on high capacity, military-style assault weapons and yes arming mothers. Oh, and yes to God and “God-given rights.”

By the way, if you’re interested in my thoughts on “God-given rights,” you might want to read this.

38 thoughts on “The Idiots We Elect

1. Paula Light September 1, 2019 / 11:34 am

Now now. What could go wrong with the idea of a bunch of stressed-out single moms packing heat?

“Johnny, get your lazy butt out of bed and ready for school or imma pop a cap in your ass!”

“Maryanne, move your damn truck out of my way so I can drop Susie off at ballet or I swear to God I’ll shoot out your tires! Again.”

“Luke, if you’re one day late with my support check…” Lisa waves a gun in her ex’s face and he hands over her money on the spot.

See? All good.

2. Sadje September 1, 2019 / 11:58 am

My God! He is such a looser. What do they want? Wild West? Gun battles in the streets!

3. padresramblings September 1, 2019 / 12:03 pm

Inaleinable rights – in Declaration of Independence were in the Congress described as God-given ( quote: endowed by their Creator), however guns are not included in the list along with Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.

• Marleen September 1, 2019 / 12:27 pm

Great points… life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness in the Declaration (foundation for the nation). And what the heck is the thought here? If thought through…

Of age.

I agree with the importance of determining an age (or series of ages). But It is clearly people deciding — not God deciding, nor God giving the right. And people decide if everyone should be able to get their hands on nuclear-propelled rockets, just as we have to face deciding about hundred-round or even thirty-round capacity… and any ballistic capacity for people who make threats out of hostility or demonstrate violence as an impulse. Background checks (comprehensive) are how you make the effort to keep guns out of the hands of criminals, Mr. Lawmaker.

• Fandango September 1, 2019 / 2:19 pm

It also says that “We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal….” But in Donald Trump’s America in 2019, only white, Christian males are created equal. Those with black or brown skins, those who aren’t Christian, and those who are female are less than equal. What happened to their God-given rights, I wonder. Were they not also endowed by their creator with inalienable rights?

• Marleen September 1, 2019 / 6:42 pm

So true! And if the rights are unalienable, and all men are created that way, why are immigrants even different?! At least the alien men, you know.

4. Stroke Survivor UK September 1, 2019 / 1:21 pm

Scary thing is that there will be some people who think his view is perfectly reasonable. And before you know it the most you can do is to be thankful you happen not to live in Tx.

• Stroke Survivor UK September 2, 2019 / 12:53 am

It’s sad isn’t it that we have all these ideas for how to make the world a better place, and we just end up resigning ourselves to “better off not to be there”.

I don’t know about you, but I’ve found that quite depressing as I’ve gotten older – just to see more and more things that are wrong with the world. The only way to retain sanity is to learn just to shrug our shoulders.

• Fandango September 2, 2019 / 8:16 am

Too many of us, myself included, are shrugging our shoulders as the world burns up, literally.

• Stroke Survivor UK September 2, 2019 / 8:50 am

Not shrugging out of apathy, but out of impotence. The best way to get through life is not to get too bothered anout things, because we’re unable to change them.

When you post stuff about Trump, say, you’re absolutely right, but nothing you can say will change his direction one bit.

• Fandango September 2, 2019 / 9:09 am

True, but it helps me. Feels kind of cathartic to get it off my chest and out in the world.

• Stroke Survivor UK September 2, 2019 / 10:35 am

Yeah, I find it’s useful sometimes just to do a braindump onto my blog. Helps me collate/rationalise my thoughts, not least to highlight the relevant things and to ditch the irrelevancies. And you never know, you might light a fuse with someone, although I think it’s true that we tend to read stuff that we agree with. That certainly seems the case when I read comments on your posts.

• Fandango September 2, 2019 / 1:04 pm

Of course everyone agrees with me. I may not always be right, but I’m never wrong. 😂

• Stroke Survivor UK September 2, 2019 / 10:46 am

It’s like all this gun control business. Unfortunately it’s come up twice since I started reading your blog. This is actually two problems which (some) politicians like to conflate into one. This “people kill people” argument is absolutely true. People would kill people the world over, given half a chance. But there’s the separate issue that in parts of the US, people are supplied the means to kill other people. The question should be: given that such people exist in all societies, how do we limit the damage they can do?

Sorry, said that before, don’t want to bore. Just that writing it down makes it crystal clear what the real issues are.

• Fandango September 2, 2019 / 1:08 pm

Yes, people kill people, but access to high-capacity, semiautomatic rifles make it easier to kill people in large numbers.

5. Brendan Birth September 1, 2019 / 4:45 pm

Yeah, “God given rights” to have instruments that can kill people. Uhhh…

6. anne leueen September 1, 2019 / 5:05 pm

I am almost at the point where I do not want to visit the US anymore. But I know I will. But anything I would have to say about this person is ….well ….. I will not subject your blog site to the level of profanity that would spew from me on that topic.

• Fandango September 1, 2019 / 10:21 pm

I can assure you that my language would be similar to yours.

• Stroke Survivor UK September 2, 2019 / 3:28 am

I haven’t been to the US since the mid-nineties, and have no substantial desires to go back. I hugged the east coast, mostly in NYC. I never even saw a gun, while I was there so the stories I see today, I don’t recognise the USA that I knew. But even in that era, there were events like Columbine, so I guess it very much depends on where in the USA you happen to be.

• Fandango September 2, 2019 / 8:53 am

Yeah, there seem to be more mass shootings in the “Wild West.”

• Christine Bolton September 2, 2019 / 6:02 am

I lived in Dallas for many years and did not see this kind of stuff. Then again it was pre-Twitter days 😏

• Fandango September 2, 2019 / 9:02 am

I lived in Dallas for a few years in the late 80s and early 90s and I always felt that I was never considered by the locals to be a “real” Texan. In hindsight, I’m kinda glad.

• Christine Bolton September 2, 2019 / 9:25 am

I can see that! I was there at the same time. Ann Richards was the Democratic governor. Everyone I worked with was from somewhere else so I never really experienced what you described. My neighbors on the other hand were local but they were very welcoming. I was too busy working at that time to talk politics with anyone and it just never came up. These days it’s just rammed down our throats, 24/7/365. So I would hate to live there right now. Everyone riding around in the trucks with a rifle behind them. Scary.

7. rugby843 September 2, 2019 / 8:26 am

Unbelievable. I put this on a Twitter and thanks for the heads up.

Sent from my iPad

8. leigha66 September 2, 2019 / 10:29 am

What an idiot! Trump has brought all these morons out in the open, but worse yet is people are embracing them. Makes me sick!

9. .arleen September 7, 2019 / 1:33 pm

While it is true that a government can’t promise complete safety, you said, you “would staunchly repudiate that keeping us safe is an appropriate role of government.”

If making an effort to consider reasonable ways to a safe(ish) society isn’t a proper role of government, what would you say is? I’m asking what you think, not suggesting.

There are some interesting details in your article. For instance, aftermarket attachments can make a gun higher capacity than it is originally. To me, capacity (not the gun*) is the point.

*Of course, machine guns and additional features to transform to such do pertain more about “the gun” — but would still relate to capacity. Those are are ready outlawed, and that’s good.