Rory’s Daily Four

0017D8B6-5A27-4732-AA15-E0F3F05ABEF6I’m a little late getting around to answering these four questions posed by Rory. Well, better late than never, right?

What was the worst thing you did as a child?

I grew up.

Growing up, what was your ideal dream job and did you bring that to a reality at all?

I was told by numerous people that I had a great speaking voice and that I ought to consider becoming a radio disk jockey. So I decided to take the FCC third-class operator’s license, which was required at the time in order to go on air at an AM radio station. Then I managed, during one summer vacation in college, to acquire a job as a disk jockey for the midnight to six am shift at a small, relatively rural radio station. I gave it my all, but it was a lonely job. In a valiant attempt to liven things up a bit (and to keep me awake), I would ask listeners to call in to request records that they wanted me to spin and I would hold contests to see who could come up with the correct answers to my rock ‘n roll trivia questions. Nobody called. Ever. And thus ended my desire to be a DJ. To this day, I still don’t know if anyone was actually listening.

What were the things you both loved and hated about your schooling?

I loved history and English. I hated math, although I did eventually learn to love working with numbers.

Where there is a will, there is a way! Do you agree?

Depends upon whether or not I was mentioned in the will and, if so, how much I was bequeathed.

14 thoughts on “Rory’s Daily Four

1. Astrid August 28, 2019 / 11:55 am

LOL to your answers to #1 and #4. I also loved your radio DJ story.

• Marleen August 29, 2019 / 2:54 pm

I was driving out of the city I grew up in, after a visit, during rush hour traffic (dang-it, didn’t think that through), something like fifteen(ish) years ago, and I heard a voice on the radio signing out for the hour; it was the name of my high school boyfriend. [I had gone to dances with other guys previously, but I wouldn’t call them boyfriends. I had also had a significant boyfriend not from school, earlier. But this was my only high school boyfriend, from senior year.] Of course… it was a fleeting moment on the radio, and I was like, “Did I just really hear that?” Obviously, we hadn’t kept in touch. I found out last year that, yes, he’d had a radio show for years.

2. Melanie B Cee August 28, 2019 / 2:04 pm

Thanks for the reminder Fandango! I think I’d miss Rory’s challenges altogether if you didn’t participate, so thank you! 🙂

• Fandango August 28, 2019 / 2:29 pm

I don’t do all of them, but usually Sadje does, so you should be covered.

3. Marleen August 28, 2019 / 11:15 pm

There was one thing I can think of that I both loved and hated during my schooling. I was on a team that has practices before school one year (thankfully not before school the next year). The normal beginning of the school day was early enough for me. I hated having to get up earlier yet. But I loved being on the team.

4. leigha66 August 29, 2019 / 7:50 am

Love the DJ story… that is indeed a lonely shift. I used to call up a local DJ all the time back in the 80s. Lost touch with him though when the station changed to broadcasting the same on both AM and FM. He was CUTE! And so fun to flirt with!

5. aguycalledbloke August 29, 2019 / 9:59 am

Ha ha – brilliant answers 🙂

Where there is a will, there is a way! Do you agree?

Ha ha!