Song Lyric Sunday — Sweet Dreams

For this week’s Song Lyric Sunday, Jim Adams has given use the themes Dream/Lullaby/Sleep. There are tons of songs about dreams, lullabies, and sleep, but I’m going with the first one that popped into my head: “Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)” by the Eurythmics. Hmm. I wonder if that song popped into my head because it was the title of Jim’s post. Oh well, it works.

This song was written and performed by the British new wave music duo of Annie Lennox and David A. Stewart, who performed as the Eurythmics. It was released in early 1983 in the States as the fourth single from the album of the same name and became their breakthrough hit, reaching number 1 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart.

Lennox and Stewart were a couple for about three years while they were members of a band called The Tourists. After that band broke up, the two formed Eurythmics and began writing together. A short time later, Lennox and Stewart broke up as a couple, but continued to write and perform together.

Lennox said the song was written just after she and Stewart had a bitter fight. She thought it was the end of the road for the two of them, but they agreed to power through it. Stewart came up with a beat, Lennox improvised the synthesizer riff, and suddenly they realized they had a potential hit.

They wanted the song to have a positive message, so they added chord changes rising upwards with “Hold your head up, moving on.” Lennox said that the song was about the search for fulfillment, and the “Sweet Dreams” are the desires that motivate us.

Here are the song’s lyrics:

Sweet dreams are made of this
Who am I to disagree?
I travel the world
And the seven seas
Everybody’s looking for something.

Some of them want to use you
Some of them want to get used by you
Some of them want to abuse you
Some of them want to be abused.

Sweet dreams are made of this
Who am I to disagree?
I travel the world
And the seven seas
Everybody’s looking for something.

Hold your head up–keep your head up–movin’ on
Hold your head up–movin’ on
Keep your head up–movin’ on

Sweet dreams are made of this
Who am I to disagree?
I travel the world
And the seven seas
Everybody’s looking for something.

25 thoughts on “Song Lyric Sunday — Sweet Dreams

1. Liz August 25, 2019 / 4:36 am

This song would have been the first thing that would have come to my head too.

2. newepicauthor August 25, 2019 / 7:28 am

Good one Fandango. I always liked the way that Annie Lennox moans on this song, it is so sensual.

3. J-Dub August 25, 2019 / 7:47 am

A favorite of mine for sure. Singing along going on around here today. “Hold your head up–keep your head up–movin’ on”

4. A.C. Melody August 25, 2019 / 4:58 pm

Love this song even after all these years! I still remember when it first hit MTV and made a huge splash here in America. It made a slight comeback in the ’90s when Marilyn Manson did a cover of it for the popular movie “Gamer” starring Gerard Butler and Famke Janssen. His slower, darker take on the song had a lot of fans revisiting the original and remembering how much they loved it. I personally like both versions, but the original would win without a doubt if I had to choose between them. Thanks for sharing!

5. Marleen August 25, 2019 / 5:18 pm

I think of it as a dystopian song, despite the title and perky sound. I’d share another dystopian piece with sleep/dreaming as a theme… but… would probably be too much satire.

• Marleen August 26, 2019 / 2:21 am

Here are two variations on similar themes, by A Perfect Circle.

It’s been put to all kinds of visuals on video. This isn’t official;
        I’ve chosen something not too boring or too disturbing.

Go Back To Sleep [colloquial title]

Don’t fret precious, I’m here
        Step away from the window, go back to sleep
        Safe from pain and truth and choice and other poison devils
        See, they don’t give a fuck about you like I do

Count lies like sheep, like sheep, like sheep, like sheep, like sheep, like sheep
        Count lies like sheeps, like sheeps, like sheeps, like sheeps, like sheeps, like sheeps

Ow, ow, ow, ow, ow, ow, ow, ow

Count bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums

Ow, ow, ow, ow, ow, ow, ow, ow

Go back to sleep
        Count bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums (Go back to sleep)
        Go back to sleep
        Count bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums (Go back to sleep)
        Count bodies like sheep
        Go back to

Go to sleep, go to sleep, go to sleep, go to sleep,
        Go to sleep, go to sleep, go to sleep, go to sleep,
        Go to sleep, go to sleep, go to sleep, go to sleep,
        Go to sleep, go to sleep, go to sleep,

Ow, ow, ow, ow, ow, ow, ow, ow

Go back to sleep
        Count bodies like sheep, like sheep, like sheep, like sheep, like sheep, like sheep (Go back to sleep)
        Go back to sleep
        Count bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums (Go back to sleep)
        Go back to sleep
        Count bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums (Go back to sleep)
        Go back to sleep
        Count bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums (Go back to sleep)
        Go back to sleep

I’ll be the one to protect you from your enemies and all your demons
        I’ll be the one to protect you from a will to survive and a voice of reason
        I’ll be the one to protect you from your enemies and your choices, son
        They’re one in the same
        I must isolate you
        Isolate and save you from yourself

Pet – A Perfect Circle – Lyrics [on screen]

Containing many lyrical similarities with the track “Pet”, from the previous album, Thirteenth Step, lead singer and lyricist Maynard James Keenan described the track as a continuation of the song. While the former refers to addiction, “Counting Bodies” focuses on political agendas.

6. willowdot21 August 26, 2019 / 11:48 pm

Brilliant song, brilliant group brilliant choice. I did think of Annie and this song but decided to go with my first choice 💜💜

7. Marleen August 27, 2019 / 3:08 am

Here’s something much nicer that I heard on Sirius-XM on my way to meet with some out of town friends this evening.

Dream Palace

• Fandango August 27, 2019 / 7:38 am

Ah, I remember that song from my “new age music” period.