Fandango’s Provocative Question #37

FPQWelcome once again to Fandango’s Provocative Question. Each week I will pose what I think is a provocative question for your consideration. By provocative, I don’t mean a question that will cause annoyance or anger. Nor do I mean a question intended to arouse sexual desire or interest.

For this week’s provocative question, I am concerned about how partisan just about everybody appears to be. We seem to have reached the point where everyone behaves as if “you’re either with me or you’re against me,” and there is no middle ground.

I remember that there was a time not that long ago when people could disagree about specific issues without animosity, but those days seem to be over, particularly in the areas of politics and religion.

So my question to you this week is simply this:

Is it possible anymore to disagree without being disagreeable?

If you choose to participate, write a post with your response to the question. Once you are done, tag your post with #FPQ and create a pingback to this post if you are on WordPress. Or you can simply include a link to your post in the comments.

The issue with pingbacks not showing up seems to have been resolved, but you might check to confirm that your pingback is there. If not, please manually add your link in the comments.

36 thoughts on “Fandango’s Provocative Question #37

1. sca11y August 21, 2019 / 3:44 am

I shall ponder a proper response, and maybe post a link if I can think of something sensible. Straight away, my eyebrows raised at the “any more” part of the question. Do you think it ever happened that way? Maybe there was always potential for such feelings, but people were not generally well-informed enough to have an opinion?

Look at something like the reformation, 500 years ago. Certainly here, that split families down the middle, and wars were fought over it.

• sca11y August 22, 2019 / 2:17 am

d’oh, I think my link fell fould of your anti-spam. Never mind.

• Fandango August 22, 2019 / 7:12 am

You’re right. It did get swept up by my spam folder, but I just unspammed it.

• Fandango August 22, 2019 / 1:11 pm

“Trump, for example, wants to make America more prosperous.” Actually, at the risk of sounding disagreeable, Trump only wants to make himself and his wealthy cronies more prosperous. He doesn’t give a shit about the rest of us.

• sca11y August 22, 2019 / 11:36 pm

Aw, man, the guy got 60-million-odd votes.They can’t *all* have been his cronies.

• Fandango August 23, 2019 / 6:34 am

Just mostly gullible, non-college educated white males. Besides, he got almost 3 million fewer votes than his opponent.

• sca11y August 23, 2019 / 6:59 am

Doesn’t matter who they were, or that Hillary got more votes. if those people vote for him in 2020, he’ll win again.

• Fandango August 23, 2019 / 10:18 am

Are you intentionally trying to depress me?

• sca11y August 23, 2019 / 10:44 am

Ha ha ha. Not intentionally, no. It’s just that all those people who voted for Trump, unless they change their minds and vote Dem instead, he’ll get re-elected next year. Some of them, at any rate. He may well lose the popular vote, but he’ll still be re-elected into the White House.

I did wonder about turnout – bth candidates in 2016 seemed awful from here so I could imagine someone being turned off and not voting at all – but turnout in 2016 was not massively lower than in 2012.

In any case, we’re proving that it *is* still possible to disagree agreeably! I’m not even sure that we are disagreeing. But we can’t write Trump’s supporters as “just” this or that. They might well be that, but they’re also voters, and the depressing thing is they’ll outvote you if they don’t change their mind.

Incidentally, what really surprised me was that the Electoral Colleges II’m not too sure of the role, whether there is one per state etc.) voted contrary to the electorate’s instructions. I think it happened both ways and wasn’t significant, but it surprised me that it happened at all.

Have a lovely weekend, buddy!

• Fandango August 23, 2019 / 12:42 pm

“all those people who voted for Trump, unless they change their minds and vote Dem instead….” I think a lot of 2016 Trump voters are disillusioned with him or have grown tired of his antics and lunacy. So unless the voting machines are hacked (again), I don’t think he’ll get as many votes. And don’t forget that he won by only 77,000 votes in total across in three critical states, and it was those three states that put him over the top in the electoral college.

• Marleen August 23, 2019 / 12:20 pm

“Gullible” is certainly part of it. I think it’s also people who 1) are comfortable with racism (even if [if] they don’t want to personally behave or speak as racists), 2) never really took the time to or benefited from learning what fascism and communism were in real life in the 1930s and 40s and onward (and what Putin is even now). I know plenty of people with college educations who voted for him. College is often primarily vocational. I did hear, recently, that white women, including non-college-educated, are moving away from accepting Trump.

• sca11y August 23, 2019 / 1:03 pm

I hope you’re both right. Personally I think in 2016, there were very few people as distasteful as Trump, but the Democrats managed to pick one!

Incidentally, I’ve been reading up on your Electoral Collage. That some states get a different number of votes, per capita, sucks. IMRO! That’s one of the reasons why, here, I want to leave the EU.

• Marleen August 23, 2019 / 1:20 pm

I hear Scotland then might rethink not leaving the UK. And what about the Irelands?

• Marleen August 23, 2019 / 3:19 pm

The Rich Want To Keep You Dumb

2. Astrid August 21, 2019 / 10:01 am

This is truly a provocative question. Generally, I do agree with you that we see a lot more hostility between people of different religions or political persuasions than say 20 years ago.

• sca11y August 22, 2019 / 12:04 pm

20 years ago we were arguing about Iraq. Do you really think that was better?

• Fandango August 22, 2019 / 2:13 pm

I remember vehemently arguing with people about Vietnam, but that was way before the internet, Facebook, Twitter, etc. So those were face to face and were at least somewhat tempered. Not so “tempered” today in the world of online forums.

• sca11y August 22, 2019 / 11:33 pm

Maybe you hit the nail on the head with your “face-to-face”? My perception (no data to support) is that the perceived anonymity of the web emboldens people to do things they wouldn’t otherwise do.

• Fandango August 23, 2019 / 6:32 am

I agree. As far as I know, you can’t be hit in the face by someone else’s fist through the internet.

3. Jen Goldie August 21, 2019 / 12:22 pm

I just wanted to say. I came, I saw, I read. It is possible depending on the agreeability of the two parties. Bottom line.

4. crushedcaramel August 21, 2019 / 1:12 pm

I hope so! I am aware that sometimes I will answer one of Melanie’s SYW questions or perhaps one of your FPQs and the view I present will be quite contrary to some of the answers published by other bloggers. However, I would never do so in an aggressive way, not to mock or dispute with another blogger.

I think that people should be capable of expressing a viewpoint without being insulting, belligerent and supercilious. Diplomacy, grace, tact – and coherent reasoning, without resorting to slurs on others who do not share one’s opinion would win my respect.

But people in anger, sometimes say very silly things!

• Fandango August 21, 2019 / 5:56 pm

“Diplomacy, grace, tact – and coherent reasoning, without resorting to slurs on others who do not share one’s opinion would win my respect.” You just described everything that Donald Trump is not!

• sca11y August 22, 2019 / 11:59 am

Good post. Thought you might have to explain the Handmaid’s Tale to me but I got there.

I dabble in FB [UK] political groups a bit and have a simple rule. If someone wants to disagree with my argument and tell me why it’s wrong, I have no complaints. If their limit is just to tell me that I’m an asshole, I just block them. I demand a higher standard of debate.

In fact my exposure to these groups left me pleasantly surprised. I’ve gone through life thinking I was the only guy in the room to have my particular views, but some people seemed to like what I said. Certain issues, anyway – cant have everything 🙂

5. annieasksyou September 7, 2019 / 5:04 am

I have devoted much of my blog to seeking common ground and finding ways to “disagree without being disagreeable”—my very words.

If your offer includes specific topics on which we try to bridge the gap, I am providing a link to my recent effort to foster discussion on one of the most important issues of our time: climate change.