Of Reblogs and Spam

I blog almost exclusively using my iPhone. And, as they say, “there’s an app for that.” It’s the WordPress app for iOS, the iPhone’s operating system.

According to WordPress you can “manage your WordPress blog right from your iOS device: create and edit posts and pages, upload your favorite photos and videos, view stats and reply to comments.”

For the most part, all that is true. I use the WordPress iOS app to meet most of my blogging needs, especially the reader, where I can go visit the blogs of the other bloggers I am following.

However, I noticed recently that, when I came across some posts from other bloggers that I thought were particularly reblog-worthy and I pressed the Reblog button on these posts, nothing happened.BE72560F-84CA-4047-AF8E-50F94AD6B94DSo I reached out to the Happiness Engineers to tell them that my Reblog button wasn’t working. After explaining in detail the steps I was following and attaching the requested screenshots, I finally heard back. Here is what they told me:

“The view option in the reader was intended to be a way to view a post as it would appear in a browser, but was not intended to be used as a web browser. Simulating web browsers like this is resource intensive and so we recently made some changes to make some of these buttons less functional. If you want to be able to use the reblog button, for now I would suggest going to your posts in a web browser and clicking on it there.

“I have been chatting with my developers about how this change is affecting the work flow of the users and we are looking for other options to improve these changes. I will add this concern to the conversation. Thanks for letting us know.”

Seriously? The brilliant, “customer-focused” minds at WordPress decided to make some features in the WordPress app “less functional”? WTF, WordPress?

Check your spam folder, please.

On an entirely unrelated note, at least a half a dozen of you have mentioned that my comments have ended up in your spam folders. Maybe the Happinesses Engineers are tired of hearing from me and this is their way of retaliating. But you may want to check your spam folders regularly — I check mine daily — to see if you’re missing any legitimate comments they may have been inadvertently swept up in the Akismet net.

52 thoughts on “Of Reblogs and Spam

1. Sadje August 17, 2019 / 9:13 am

I have had similar issues in reblogging. I even tried to access my WP site from the browser on my phone and it didn’t work. So nothing to do but to open the dreaded “ laptop “.

2. Fisherofmen August 17, 2019 / 9:19 am

I had a similar issue as well. What I do is click out of the app and open up WordPress on the internet and search for that Blogger post that I want to reblog and just reblog it from the internet.

3. Tatiana August 17, 2019 / 9:19 am

I’m using that app as well, but concerning the “Reblog” – that is only for WP.com not for sites/blogs on other platforms like WP.com for instance. Many users get confused with that feature so maybe that’s why they eliminated it.
    I am on WP.org – self hosted for my sites and even on the computer (real browser) I cannot use the “Reblog”

• Fandango August 17, 2019 / 11:01 am

It should easy to reblog and I am not sure why it’s so complicated and why it requires extra steps. It didn’t used to.

4. Jen Goldie August 17, 2019 / 9:21 am

I check my spam if I think a comment could be missing. I just found one of yours from yesterday and replied. 🙂
    I also found one in pending?

• Fandango August 17, 2019 / 11:03 am

That pending status means you might have designated something in your spam folder as “not spam,” but then it goes to your pending folder until you formally “approve it.” Another kind of wasteful two-step process.

5. Dragon Warrior August 17, 2019 / 9:28 am

I think the Spam folder is the worst and cruelest thing to ever exist in WordPress! I am so upset over it! It always swallows up the precious words of my precious friends… 😔

6. Asbestos Dust August 17, 2019 / 9:37 am

No surprise on the WordPress suckage front — been bitching about it for awhile, and will be leaving as soon as I can get another site set. But bleedin’ Haysus, dude, you write all this on an iPhone keyboard? No wonder you’re such a cranky old fart.

• Fandango August 17, 2019 / 11:12 am

Just call me “Nimble-Fingered Fandango”! Or “Old Fart.” That works, too.

7. shail August 17, 2019 / 9:38 am

I regularly check my spam and have ‘rescued’ comments too, though none from you.

8. sca11y August 17, 2019 / 9:48 am

Okay, so they decided to show a button labelled “Reblog” and then deliberately made it do nothing? I must be missing something.

9. rugby843 August 17, 2019 / 10:00 am

I made a complaint today about when I try to follow someone and it sends me to the dashboard saying I can’t. For all of the truly disgusting ads on the sites, you would think they would do a better job.

10. rugby843 August 17, 2019 / 10:01 am

It’s probably my WiFi, but posts aren’t downloading, etc today! 🧐🙄🤪

11. Paula Light August 17, 2019 / 10:11 am

I don’t usually reblog because I have enough of my own stuff to yabber on about, but I will check my spam.

• Fandango August 17, 2019 / 11:32 am

I rarely reblog, but there have been a few posts lately that I thought were worthy of reblogging (primarily because the reinforced my perspectives on current political events), but I couldn’t.

12. Taswegian1957 August 17, 2019 / 10:22 am

I wouldn’t blog on a phone if you paid me but if I did I’d expect the reblog feature to work. This seems in line with their “we don’t need a spell checker” theory.
    I do check my spam from time to time and probably should do so more often. I hadn’t noticed anything other than the usual rubbish in it though.

• Fandango August 17, 2019 / 11:38 am

Blogging from an iPhone works pretty well…for me, anyway. Well, it did until it started removing functionality from the app.

13. drtanya@saltedcaramel August 17, 2019 / 10:33 am

I have an android phone but I can completely relate to this.
    Many comments on my postd end up in my spam folder too.

14. Melanie B Cee August 17, 2019 / 10:41 am

I’m always surprised that people actually blog from their phones. It’s a personal issue with me though, because my fingers are meant for a keyboard, not some teeny weeny faux keyboard like those seen on most phones. And to each their own. I realize I’m a dinosaur in regard to my affection for and attachment to my phone. WordPress is having issues, but that’s not new. It’s alarming, to me, that they are making certain buttons ‘less functional’ though. But I’m not surprised by that. Some bloggers I follow have opted for the business version of a blog plan because they sell things or their work and need a commercial blog to achieve that. I cannot comment (in the regular way) on those type of blogs. I have to jump through a lot of hoops to comment and it’s a pain in the adipose. The world is spared some of my long winded comments as a result. I’ll make a note of the spam thing. That’s annoying too. Wouldn’t it be wonderful if this site was glitch free for a week or in general? It sure would be to me! 🙂

• Fandango August 17, 2019 / 11:45 am

The beauty, to me, anyway, of using my phone to blog is the extreme portability. Right now I’m sitting on the sofa in the living room with the TV on in the background. I can blog from a park bench, on a bus, at the beach, at a restaurant — anywhere that there is cell service or WiFi, which is practically everywhere.

• Liz August 17, 2019 / 11:50 am

I am one for blogging from my phone mostly too, because I will be using WiFi when possible, as well as my own internet, depending where I am to suit.
        At one time I would have said there is no way I would have done this, but at some point, (I don’t know when) I have got used to doing it.

• Marleen August 17, 2019 / 12:48 pm

I will use my phone for internet and posting anywhwre, but I still stick to the etiquette of not looking at my screen, being distracted in any way, when with a person, say at lunch.

• Liz August 17, 2019 / 12:56 pm

I totally agree with that. I am mostly on my own, but if I am with someone, then no, my phone does not come out.

• Fandango August 17, 2019 / 2:51 pm

I try to do the same. It’s common courtesy.

15. Suze August 17, 2019 / 11:15 am

I have stopped complaining about sucking your comments out of spam…..I tried changing the “spam” folder to a “fandango” folder but couldn’t figure it out. sigh

• Fandango August 17, 2019 / 11:50 am

Ugh. It makes me sad to think that “fandango” could be synonymous with “spam.” 😢

16. Nova August 17, 2019 / 11:29 am

My spam folder loves a few particular followers of mine🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️

17. Liz August 17, 2019 / 11:35 am

I have done lots of moaning about WordPress. I wrote more moaning because if finding I have also appeared in spam folder of not one, but two blogs and I do wonder how many more.
    Prior to me now being known to be in the spam folder, I always at least check once a week, because regular readers who comment, have started appearing in there all of a sudden, when they never have before.
    I know it’s not perfect, but the spam filter has got worse.

18. Marleen August 17, 2019 / 12:00 pm

Issues like this have me “wondering” as to the sanity of people who want computing to have more power in our lives. Say… a built-in (inside the head/brain) search engine, etc.

• Fandango August 17, 2019 / 2:14 pm

I’m not onboard with computer chips embedded in my brain. NFW!

19. Shweta Suresh August 17, 2019 / 6:31 pm

I’ve been running into problems as well. And out of frustration, I end up using my laptop. And making some of the buttons less functional!? What the hell is that supposed to achieve! The spam issue isn’t new either. Apparently, if we’re commenting too much, WP immediately flags your comments as spam!!!

20. leigha66 August 18, 2019 / 12:35 pm

That is some backwards “logic” from the Happiness Engineers.