Let’s Kiss and Make Up

90845c34-4fb2-41f4-b531-5722047d754c.jpeg“Excuse me,” the man asked a passerby dressed in female clothing who was very heavily made up, “Are you a drag queen? I’ve never met an authentic drag queen before.”

In a voice that couldn’t really be described as distinctively male or female, but had a tone that was definitely acerbic, the person said, “I am not, good sir, a drag queen. I am a transgender woman.”

“I’m not sure I know what that is,” the man said. “Would you mind giving me an explanation?”

The transgender woman got a big grin on her face. “Let me put it this way,” she said. “I’m a little bit Latino and a little bit Latina.”

“So are you a man dressed up as a woman or are you a somewhat masculine woman?” the man asked.

“Ay caramba!” she said, “I thought by now our society had become civilized enough that this wouldn’t still be an issue. I’m so tired of being asked endless questions about what it means to be transgender.”

“I’m so sorry, sir…or, um, ma’am,” the man said. “I didn’t mean to offend you.”

“No problem, sweetie,” she said. “Let’s kiss and make up.”

Written for these daily prompts from yesterday, which I didn’t have time to get to until now: Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (authentic), Ragtag Daily Prompt (acerbic), Nova’s Daily Random Word (transgender), The Daily Spur (explanation), Daily Addictions (grin), Your Daily Word Prompt (civilize), and Word of the Day Challenge (endless). Photo credit: Pinterest.

21 thoughts on “Let’s Kiss and Make Up

1. Tien Skye August 17, 2019 / 7:05 am

Yes! I like how you have portrayed the issue here. Powerful writing.

2. Paula Light August 17, 2019 / 8:45 am

I used to think I would be upset if a “man” shared the ladies room with me. But there may be one doing so now in my office building… either a transperson or a masculine woman. I don’t know. I’m not going to ask! But it actually doesn’t matter. It turns out I don’t care at all.

• Asbestos Dust August 17, 2019 / 9:52 am

Because people are assholes, that’s why. It’s why we have to fly with fucking peacocks, and horses, pit bulls, cats, and who the fuck knows what else because everyone is a defective Special Person who might get offended or their emotions mashed up. Because your transperson would not be a problem, but the 6’3 flannel-shirt truckdriver who identifies as a 10-year-old-girl are using the same rules to hang out in PRIVATE SPACES with my 8-year-old granddaughter. Because no one on earth has a single lick of fucking common sense, and will pole-vault over the line of reasonableness of every single inch given. THAT’S why. Ya got a dick? Go to the dick place to piss. How freaking complicated is that? Take your emotional support pony with you if it makes you feel better.

• Paula Light August 17, 2019 / 9:55 am

Lmao! Yeah, I don’t want to sit next to Mr. Ed on a plane. What is wrong with people? I wouldn’t subject a planeload of folks to Gatsby’s yowling either. Gah!

3. Beutiflee August 17, 2019 / 11:37 am

I don’t understand why a transgender would be offended by a question. The ending was funny.

• Fandango August 17, 2019 / 11:56 am

Maybe not so much offended as tired of always being asked the same question?