Why Did You Leave Me?

FD8163BA-5CD1-4CD6-9849-7268D2218E12Last night, one of you stopped following my blog.

Yeah, that’s right. When I went to bed there were 2,440 of you. Now there are only 2,439 of you.

Did you think I wouldn’t notice? Of course I noticed. And I’m deeply hurt.

The least you could have done is said goodbye. And you could have told me why you left. That would have been the decent, courageous thing to do.

But no. You just quietly slipped away in the dead of night while I was sleeping.

Was it something I said? Have you simply grown tired of me?

Hey, I realize that I’m an acquired taste. I’m not for everyone. But seriously, who is?

And yes, I will occasionally say something controversial or provocative. Okay, perhaps more than occasionally. And sure, sometimes the views I express may be different from yours.

How boring would I be if I avoided controversial topics altogether?

I do understand that you can’t please all of the people all of the time. I didn’t just fall off the turnip truck, you know. I’ve been around the block a few times. Quite a few times, actually.

But whoever you are, you made a conscious decision to stop following this blog.

So now you’re gone and I’ll never know why.

You never call. You never write.

50 thoughts on “Why Did You Leave Me?

1. Dragon Warrior August 15, 2019 / 6:18 am

Oh, Fandago, you are such a caring person, even a single person matter for you… 🙂
    I am really happy to be a part of your journey! And your writing feels so hurt. So emotional.
    Look, there’s 2441 followers now, maybe the one who had gone has returned to you already? Maybe he/she unfollowed you by mistake?
    🙂 Warm wishes,
    Dragon Warrior

• Dragon Warrior August 16, 2019 / 8:40 am

I really spoke out my heart, Fandago. It’s really amazing to have people like you who care about every single person in their lives. Most are not so considerate. 😦

2. crushedcaramel August 15, 2019 / 6:44 am

From where I am sitting you have 2,441 followers…they must have had moment of madness and came back…with a friend ❤

3. sca11y August 15, 2019 / 7:07 am

Who’d you write for? You or your audience? Followers aren’t important.

• Fandango August 15, 2019 / 12:33 pm

Good point. I write for me and I’d guess that 90+% of my “followers” don’t really follow, anyway.

4. jaquintinwriter August 15, 2019 / 7:11 am

Yes, a blogger can find a slight tinge of ouch to lose a follower without prior notice of why the termination. I am a newbie follower of yours and portions of this post (please don’t take offense) made an old gal chuckle. 🙂 My first thought was same as your follower ‘Paula’ then thought how morbid of me. You’ll be just fine – see you gained ‘three’ more followers 10:10 a.m. U.S.A. EST. Keep smilin’!!

5. Renard Moreau August 15, 2019 / 8:20 am

🤔 Fandango, did it ever occur to you that the reason why you saw one follower less is that the person deleted their blog?

There are some bloggers that did not like what Tygpress did and some bloggers have gone as far as deleting their blog as a form of protest.

• Brendan Birth August 15, 2019 / 10:30 am

That’s true. And I think some blogs become inactive, as well, so that may hurt the follower count (I could be wrong).

• Renard Moreau August 15, 2019 / 11:27 am

🙂 The number of one’s followers will not decrease if a blog becomes inactive.

I am making an educated guess that we all have inactive followers among our total list of followers.

• Brendan Birth August 15, 2019 / 2:57 pm

Well, I am wrong, then!

But it is true that follower count can decrease because blogs are deleted. It happens.

Speaking of Tygpress, it is still down. 🙂

• Fandango August 15, 2019 / 1:41 pm

That’s a good point, Renard. If that the case, I forgive the former blogger.

6. Melanie B Cee August 15, 2019 / 9:06 am

No offense, because we all love our readers dearly, but if one has over two THOUSAND followers? How did you even notice? And it may have been THEM not you. One ‘fixture’ in our particular Blogville community exited stage left recently due to WORDPRESS and their shoddy security which let in a nasty site that stole content wholesale. No kiss, no thank you. She opted to stop using WordPress because she markets her writing and thinks (justly) that she should get something for her effort, even if it’s just a ‘thank you’. So what if it’s that and not YOU at all? I realize this post was tongue in cheek of course. But ‘just in case’? You’re fabulous Fandango and we ALL love you. All two thousand plus of us. Does that creep you out, just a little? I remain impressed that you noted the loss.

• Fandango August 15, 2019 / 1:45 pm

Yes, I know about Teresa’s departure and she is missed. I also know that probably 90% or more of my “followers” never actually read my posts. I do check the number of followers periodically and the number goes up and down regularly.

• Melanie B Cee August 17, 2019 / 10:17 am

I have no idea why that would be. I routinely see “follow this blog” on blogs I’ve followed for years, so I think it’s WordPress messing things up again, and I generally still see the blog with that message in my queue so…I’m mystified!

7. newepicauthor August 15, 2019 / 9:52 am

You are a leader for many of us, so you should not be concerned with followers. I realized that you are only being humorous, but followers is a useless statistic. I could see caring about LIKES and comments, but the number of followers that a person has, means absolutely nothing.

8. msjadeli August 15, 2019 / 11:40 am

People leave for all kinds of reasons, many of them not personal. Makes for a nice post though 🙂

9. aguycalledbloke August 15, 2019 / 3:17 pm

Panic not m8y l lose people all the time, then they come back, then they go, back, gone, back, gone, back, gone – just be you, it’s all you can be, if they go ……………well good chance they’ll be back 🙂

Unless as Paula said, they just died. To lose me l would have to die, but then even when l am gone … l will still be with you as a follower who never says anything …. 🙂

10. Maggie August 15, 2019 / 5:02 pm

I have had some WordPress reader problem and had to unfollow then refollow a bog for it to show up again. Or maybe a touchy touch screen fiasco. So many possibilities. Of course I enjoyed reading this so we can go with your ideas, too!

11. Carol Anne August 15, 2019 / 9:05 pm

It happens, unfortunately! It was probably someone who never commented either! I have over 4000 followers, and so so many dont ever interact with me! I wonder are they reading, who are they? do they like what I write? xoxo

12. faithfullyyours2017 August 16, 2019 / 12:19 am

hey fandango…. how caring…do you know all your followers that well?? its like the lost sheep parable…. 🙂

• Fandango August 16, 2019 / 7:44 am

Actually, I only know a few dozen who regular like and/or comment on my posts. I rarely hear from any of the other “followers.”

13. leigha66 August 16, 2019 / 12:46 pm

Pretty clever writing! They will have to pry my cold dead hands off the computer doing WordPress when I die… I promise not to unfollow you! 😉