“They Hate All Jews”

058D2F16-CF6C-4CB0-8DC7-511D2C600216Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu confirmed in a statement this morning that two U.S. congressional representatives, Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib, will be denied entry to Israel. Both Omar and Tlaib are Muslims who have been critical of the Israeli government’s treatment of Palestinians.

Netanyahu bowed to pressure from Donald Trump to refuse to permit them visit Israel in what was a planned trip.

Donald Trump, who, sadly, is the President of the United States, should never have tweeted what he tweeted this morning. He should not be abusing the Office of the President by pressuring foreign leaders to take actions against Trump’s political enemies, especially when they are duly elected representatives of the United States Congress.

Let’s get one thing straight, shall we. Opposing the policies of the Israeli government or its leader does not make one antisemitic. Opposing the policies of the any government or its leader does not mean that you hate the people who live in that country or Americans whose descendants came from that county.

I don’t like all of the policies of the Israeli government, but I don’t hate Jews.

I don’t like the policies of the Saudi Arabian government, but I don’t hate Arabs.

I don’t like Putin’s Russia and its role in interfering with our elections, but I don’t hate Russians.

I don’t like the Chinese government’s authoritarian policies and abuse of human rights, but I don’t hate Chinese people.

I don’t like that Trump-like buffoon, Boris Johnson, who is the new British PM, but I don’t hate everyone with a British accent.

I hate Donald Trump and I hate the policies he’s pushing. But I certainly don’t hate Americans. Only those who support Trump.

92 thoughts on ““They Hate All Jews”

1. msjadeli August 15, 2019 / 10:48 am

Fandango, my stomach is churning as I read this. By our POTUS exerting pressure, it puts the leaders in Israel in a very uncomfortable position. Aside from that, I can also see where the Israel leaders might not want anyone to see the way they are treating the Palestinians, especially ones who are as outspoken and honest as Reps. Omar and Tlaib. It’s disturbing to say the least!!!!!!

• Fandango August 15, 2019 / 2:02 pm

It’s despicable on both Trump’s and Netanyahu’s parts.

• Marilyn Armstrong August 15, 2019 / 2:09 pm

You know, Israel doesn’t torture their Arabs. Just thought i’d mention that. They may not help them get ahead professionally and they have their own driver’s licenses … AND Jews are not allowed to live in their neighborhoods (but Arabs ARE allowed to live in Jewish neighborhoods). That’s done to prevent the crazy people from taking over areas that don’t belong to them.

It’s really complicated. If you think you understand it, you don’t. Really. You don’t.

• Fandango August 15, 2019 / 3:50 pm

I know it’s complicated and I know I don’t wholly understand it all. But I still think what Trump tweeted was despicable.

2. Marilyn Armstrong August 15, 2019 / 11:38 am

When I moved to Israel in 1979, I thought I knew something. After all, I read books, I knew history.

After I had lived there for 9 years, I realized I knew nothing at all. There is SO much right and wrong on BOTH sides and everyone had a good reason for whatever they’ve done.

It’s about the past and ironically, not about the ancient past but about the past since the 1920s or thereabouts. Because in more ancient times, Jews and Arabs got along well — FAR better than Jews and Christians or Muslims and Christians. Christians only got along with their own KIND of Christians. They didn’t even get along with each other if they were slightly different sects. In fact, they still don’t.

The British got this mess started. It gave them a reason to plant their flag in the soil and say “We have to stay here to keep the peace” when the absence of peace was of their own making.

This is why I’ve said it before and i’ll repeat it again: THE ONLY WAY THERE WILL EVER BE PEACE IN THE MIDDLE EAST IS FOR EVERYONE — JEW AND ARAB OF EVERY KIND — TO LET GO OF THE PAST.

Terrible things happened and who did the more terrible thing? Does it really MATTER? They can’t go back and fix what broke. What happened, happened. What they need to understand is if they stay frozen in the past, they will NEVER find a future. Hatred breeds hatred from generation to generation and no one’s life is made better as a result. NO ONE has a better life because they hate.

I remember once sitting up in the Banias talking about how hopeless it seemed and realizing that as long as everyone believed that their version of the past was the only one which counted, there would be no progress now or ever. It’s the main reason I left and came back here. Who knew the same evil would follow me home?

I’m sure these people have said hateful things and they should take them back. Hate is not the same as disagreement. You know it, I know it. EVERYONE knows it. We all have to stop hating and recognize — AGAIN — that we have more in common than we have differences. The irony is that most Israelis are NOT religious. The COULD get along. The kids get along. They don’t know they aren’t supposed to play together until some adult tells them.

3. sca11y August 15, 2019 / 11:38 am

There has to be a way of criticising a government, any government, without people interpreting that as an attack on a religion.

Having said that, in the UK we do see stories of anti-semitism. I read one story a couple of years ago about a politician (yes, people actually voted for this guy) who said that Jews should be killed. I don’t think the guy lasted long after he said this. Very blatant. We had another guy who tried to argue that Hitler was at one stage pro-Israel, because in the early years the Nazis supported expelling Jews from Germany, and shipping them to their “homeland” instead. Obviously, before he decided that gas chambers were his better option. So people can betray quite extreme views, if we let them do so.

So I do think we need to be careful – Jews have a right, at least, to exist, same as every other of us.

4. James Pyles August 15, 2019 / 12:11 pm

In Rep. Ilhan Omar’s case, it’s not just a matter of disagreeing with Israel’s policies. She’s making the point that Israel denying her and Rep. Rashida Tlaib entry, which they can legally do under a law that addresses BDS proponents attempting to enter the country, is enforcing President Trump’s “Muslim Travel Ban.”

However, Rep. Omar, shall we say, isn’t being exactly forthcoming.

As it turns out, there are about 50 Muslim majority nations globally.
    5 of the 7 nations on the travel ban list are Muslim majority nations.
    90% of the Muslim majority nations are not impacted by the ban.
    Israel is the home to nearly 2 million Muslims and has Muslim/Arab members on its Knesset (Congress).

You might not be antisemitic because of any issues you have with Israel’s various policies, but I suggest in Rep. Omar’s case, that in her efforts to deny the Jewish people a homeland, she seeks to return them to nationless wanderers, while giving their nation to the Arabs and creating a state called “Palestine.”

My wife and children are Jewish and we believe that the Jewish people have a right to their own state. Why in the world would they let in two U.S. Representatives whose primary goal is to undermine and perhaps eventually destroy Jewish Israel. I wouldn’t let them in.

• Marleen August 15, 2019 / 1:23 pm

Mass protests broke out at airports across the U.S. over the weekend in response to President Donald Trump’s executive order temporarily banning immigration from seven Muslim-majority countries. Many decried the ban as unconstitutional, and four judges ruled that authorities must stop deporting certain travelers affected by the ban.

Others opposing the ban asked why the banned list, which included Iraq, Iran, Somalia, Yemen, Libya, Sudan and Syria, didn’t include the country that produced Osama bin Laden and 15 of the 19 9/11 hijackers: Saudi Arabia.

….

President Trump’s sprawling business interests in Saudia Arabia may have influenced his decision, presenting a possible conflict of interest. Recent financial disclosures have shown that Saudi Arabia is home to several limited-liability Trump corporations, the New York Times reported. The Times also reported that Trump had done business in two other countries that produced 9/11 terrorists yet were excluded from the ban: the United Arab Emirates [2] and Egypt [1].

………

Benjamins indeed.

• Fandango August 15, 2019 / 2:28 pm

I, too, believe that the Jewish people have a right to their own state. But, by denying entry to these two congresswomen, Netanyahu is missing an opportunity to be the bigger person and to discuss their different perspectives. And for Trump to claim that these two elected representatives “hate all Jews” is divisive and totally inappropriate for the POTUS.

• James Pyles August 15, 2019 / 2:36 pm

I don’t know what Trump is claiming, but I’m pretty sure that as an Israeli Jew, Netanyahu knows exactly what these two U.S. Reps were up to, and it had nothing to do with a reasonable dialogue.

• Marilyn Armstrong August 15, 2019 / 3:07 pm

I think a lot of people who’ve never lived there really don’t get it. Maybe they really CAN’T get it. But I’m with you. There was no planned reasonable dialogue. Just more hate.

• Fandango August 15, 2019 / 3:52 pm

Perhaps, but Netanyahu seems to have taken his marching orders from Trump.

• James Pyles August 15, 2019 / 4:07 pm

I’d have to agree with Marilyn here. It’s one thing to armchair quarterback all this from our side of the pond, and another thing entirely to be an Israeli Jew and have to put up with people who hate you yet pretend they are the victims.

• Marilyn Armstrong August 15, 2019 / 4:30 pm

Yup. And watch the press forget who started the wars, who keeps pushing them, who logs the rockets and then weeps copiously for their victimhood. But that’s the thing: IF you can’t let go of that past, there is no hope for the future.

Everyone needs to recognize what they can get and what they will never get. Israel will never give up Jerusalem. They will share it. They DO share it. But they won’t surrender it. They won’t slice down their tiny country any smaller. It’s barely a dot on the map of the world now. Often, as we traveled the country, we’d get to a point and there was a sign in English, Hebrew, Arabic and these days, I think in Russian too: “Warning! Frontier ahead!” And being told we couldn’t drive home if we didn’t have a gun in the car (we didn’t). And having friends murdered in the backyard because they were Jews. Not harassed. Murdered.

There are LOTS of martyrs. Plenty on both sides. There were some slaughters by Jews of Arabs during the ’48 war too. But no Jew has ever covered him or herself in bombs and walked into an Arab marketplace to blow up children and parents and anyone else who just happens to be there.

It’s the endless adding up of good and evil that ends with everything exactly the same with no hope of progress. Until that ends, there is no point in pretending. If the past doesn’t get wiped clean, there IS no hope.

And as for me, anyone who wants my country to be dissolved and my people eliminated doesn’t deserve to enter the country. Leave the hate behind. Talk like a sane non-hating human being and THEN come visit. But first, stop hating.

• Marilyn Armstrong August 15, 2019 / 4:48 pm

Netanyahu has been around a LONG time and he used to be American (by the way). He doesn’t take orders from anyone. He might decide Trump has a point, but I suspect that the people in HIS country strongly objected to them too. You are looking at this from across an ocean in a completely different culture.

• Fandango August 15, 2019 / 5:00 pm

The Israeli ambassador originally said that Israel would NOT deny entrance to the two women. And then Trump tweeted.

• Marilyn Armstrong August 15, 2019 / 5:01 pm

Yes, I know the series of events, but that doesn’t really explain what happened.

• Fandango August 15, 2019 / 5:20 pm

One of Netanyahu’s closest advisors had said last month that the two would be allowed entry. “Out of respect for the U.S. Congress and the great alliance between Israel and America, we would not deny entry to any member of Congress into Israel.”

But President Trump, who is close to Netanyahu, reportedly told his own advisers that he thought Israel should turn them away.

• Marilyn Armstrong August 15, 2019 / 3:10 pm

I survived I don’t even remember how many serious well-intentioned tries at peace. This wasn’t one. Yes, he could have shown himself a more generous person, but tell me: would the U.S. allow entry to ANYONE who proposed the dissolution of the U.S. and the eradication of the American people? You think ANY leader would have done that?

Our first amendment does NOT cover treason. Neither does Israel’s.

• Fandango August 15, 2019 / 4:49 pm

Didn’t Trump invite Putin to the White House?

• Fandango August 15, 2019 / 5:06 pm

I’m just sayin’!

• Marleen August 16, 2019 / 9:48 am

Didn’t Trump betray Israel to Russians in the oval office?

• Marleen August 16, 2019 / 12:16 pm

Yeah, I was reminded a few minutes ago too of May 2017 when folks like conservative talk show host Mark Levin were torn between and acting on an impulse to defend Trump against charges of obstruction of justice and the need to attack Trump for stabbing Israel in the back — when Trump would not state that the Western Wall, the holiest site in Jerusalem, is part of Israel. [Most of that wording is from the “americanthinker” blog, where there is a link to what is said to be Mark’s Tuesday radio show back then; the link leads to a blank page, or did when I tried it.] The scuttlebutt was that no Israeli(s) would be allowed to accompany Trump to that wall.

• Fandango August 16, 2019 / 2:35 pm

He gave away top secret information.

• Marleen August 16, 2019 / 3:31 pm

Two years ago. Yeah, at least two outrages concerning Israel were going on at the same time… May. He spilled very confidential information concerning Israel to top Russians… AND he was anticipating a trip to Israel (where he wasn’t going to let any Israeli go with him to the Western Wall [referenced in my earlier post today] — and people were saying this put Jerusalem and that part of the Temple up for question in terms of negotiations in the region).

Bombshell report reveals new details about Trump’s Oval Office meeting with Russians …

…….

The information was highly classified and had not been disclosed even to close American allies.

Vanity Fair reported [in mid November of 2017] that a top American spy told Israeli intelligence officials during a meeting at CIA headquarters in Langley, Virginia, a few weeks before Trump’s inauguration that US intelligence believed Russian President Vladimir Putin had “leverages of pressure” over Trump.

The report said that American official warned that information provided to the White House could be leaked to the Russians and, therefore, eventually to their ally Iran, Israel’s greatest adversary.

But the Israelis reportedly did not treat this warning with much seriousness and continued sharing highly classified information with the US, one of its closest allies.

Trump met with Lavrov and Kislyak in the Oval Office on May 10, the day after he fired James Comey as FBI director. Trump told the Russians that he had “faced great pressure” as a result of the investigation into Russia’s interference in the 2016 US election — and whether the Trump campaign colluded with Moscow — that Comey was leading, calling him “crazy” and “a real nut job.”

Trump then reportedly described the broad outlines of the Israeli intelligence and named the Syrian city in which it was gathered.

………

• Marleen August 15, 2019 / 3:28 pm

Sure. But Trump is despicable.

• Marilyn Armstrong August 15, 2019 / 3:32 pm

Trump is despicable. And has always been. But we elected him. What does that make US?

• Marleen August 15, 2019 / 3:48 pm

As it turns out, stupid or duped to still have the Electoral College.

• Marilyn Armstrong August 15, 2019 / 4:52 pm

You know, we’ve ALWAYS had it. Sometimes, it has benefited Democrats and sometimes Republicans. I have no objection to changing the Constitution. Not like we haven’t done it before. But i don’t think it will happen because the EC benefits both sides at different times in our history. It’s like removing money from politics. it depends on who is getting the big bucks.

• Marleen August 15, 2019 / 5:09 pm

Theoretically, the Electoral College could’ve picked neither a Republican or a Democrat… or could’ve picked a different Republican than the nominee… or different Democrat. We’re told it’s a failsafe, but it’s not.

• Marilyn Armstrong August 15, 2019 / 6:11 pm

What it was supposed to be is never what it has been. From the very beginning, it has been used as a tool by whatever party had the money or the clout to make it work. So I have no problem with getting rid of it … except that i don’t think it will happen because BOTH parties make use of it, depending on the year and the flow of power. Nothing is ever as simple as it seems.

• Fandango August 15, 2019 / 9:43 pm

“Nothing is ever as simple as it seems.” Ain’t that the truth.

5. Paula Light August 15, 2019 / 12:34 pm

I “liked” your post generally, but specifically I don’t hate all Trump supporters. Some of my best friends etc. I wish they would stop supporting him though.

While I dislike the two Reps in question and I think they go far beyond mere disagreement with Israeli policy, I still feel it was a mistake for Netanyahu to ban them. It makes him look weak, just another spineless Trump lackey. It is not the Jewish way to be inhospitable. Invite them to the table! Be generous and kind. Let them be their horrible selves in return and shrug it off. We tried! But now, they can’t say that. Netanyahu is being petty and short-sighted, giving these bitter women more ammunition to use against Israel.

What a shame. Another “hero” who couldn’t bear the pressure of Trump’s tweets 🙄

• Fandango August 15, 2019 / 3:38 pm

You can’t support Trump without supporting his
      horrible policies, his lies, his racism, his sexism, etc., etc. And that’s why I hate Trump supporters. There’s no excuse for continuing to support and enable a man who is doing so much damage. I do agree with you about how disappointing it is that Netanyahu capitulated to Trump.

• Marleen August 15, 2019 / 4:18 pm

Do you mean you can’t (“can” not) support him and not support the rest?

• Marilyn Armstrong August 15, 2019 / 4:46 pm

Think about what you just said and you decide if it makes sense. How can you support someone who imprisons children and promotes hate? And still say he’s “a good man”? He isn’t a good man. He isn’t even a decent man. He’s the kind of lout you wouldn’t let into your home. It wasn’t the electoral college who elected him. EC and all, WE elected him and what DOES that make us?

• Fandango August 15, 2019 / 4:54 pm

Yes, “can’t.” I’ll fix it.

• Marilyn Armstrong August 15, 2019 / 4:57 pm

I’m not sure that’s what actually happened. That’s what we THINK happened … but we get almost not accurate news out of Israel. Most of the news if through Reuters who are not exactly Israel’s biggest sympathizers. We don’t know what really happened. And I don’t know enough people still living there who i could ask. Also, ask three Israelis and you’ll get four answers.

6. Copy Chick August 15, 2019 / 1:33 pm

Once again – you nailed it. I saw that tweet and words failed me to express this disgusting human that occupies the Oval. No matter how you disagree with the ideology of someone in your own government, you never wash your dirty laundry to another country, let alone spout absolute lies.
    These two women never said they hate Isreal OR all the Jewish people. Everyone has their own ideas of foreign policy but unless you are making the policies, it’s all conjecture. HOwever, each person, under the First Amendment, has the right to free speech. To dog whistle another country, telling THEM to blackball people in governement in YOUR country is beyond contempt, but obviously in Trump’s wheelhouse.

• Marilyn Armstrong August 15, 2019 / 1:51 pm

She has suggested more than once that Israel be eliminated as a nation. That’s not a disagreement. It IS anti-Semitic and what’s more, she has never denied being an anti-Semite.

Disagreement and hatred are not in the same ballpark, much less rooting for the same team. it’s wise to remember that no one has yet suggested in THIS country eliminating the U.S.’s existence and I’m pretty sure we would be very ungenerous to anyone who did say that. I’m pretty sure we wouldn’t ban them. I think we would call them treasonous and lock them up. We’ve done it before for a lot less.

• Marleen August 15, 2019 / 3:25 pm

Even an article like this doesn’t link to real evidence that either of the women are outright anti-Semitic.

The truth is that many of the students and activists who support the movement have been duped into thinking they’re supporting a noble cause. In fact, BDS is little more than a ploy established and run by radical anti-Semites who deny Israel’s right to exist and seek to destroy it.

You don’t need to take our word for it: Let Barghouti speak for himself. ….

When I look for evidence, I end up at right-wing sites with claims Ilhan married her brother!

• Marilyn Armstrong August 15, 2019 / 3:31 pm

Personally, I think when someone calls for and believe in the elimination of a nation and its people, that’s not a disagreement. That’s treason. We wouldn’t let her in here if she was calling for the dissolution and elimination of all Americans either. At what point does it matter? Ever? Is there ANY point where it’s over the top? There have to be limits. There have to be lines in the sand. She doesn’t need to talk like that, either, you know? She can be reasonable but she IS an anti-Semite, so she can’t. And being anti-Semitic, she’s never going to be anything but a hater. It’s sad. It doesn’t have to BE this way.

• Marleen August 15, 2019 / 3:52 pm

I’ve never seen either of them call for the elimination of a nation or a people.

• Marleen August 15, 2019 / 4:12 pm

And even the pro-Israel lobbying organization American Israel Public Affairs Committee spoke out against the decision, writing: “We disagree with Reps. Omar and Tlaib’s support for the anti-Israel and anti-peace BDS movement, along with Rep. Tlaib’s calls for a one-state solution. We also believe every member of Congress should be able to visit and experience our democratic ally Israel firsthand.”

• Marleen August 15, 2019 / 4:20 pm

Does that last statement about “they” mean AIPAC never lived there?

• Marleen August 15, 2019 / 4:48 pm

You mean AIPAC are Americans. So are you and I; I haven’t lived in Israel, but you have (and you are American as well).

• Marilyn Armstrong August 15, 2019 / 5:06 pm

That is what Moshe Dayan was fighting for. He lost. Then he died. When they kill Sadat, they killed him, too.

• Marleen August 15, 2019 / 5:02 pm

I’m wall for Democratic discussion.😄

• Marilyn Armstrong August 15, 2019 / 5:05 pm

I wish I had an ear in Israel. I’m sure it’s a very different conversation. Unfortunately, I’ve been gone a long time and the place has changed. I don’t know if I even know anyone there anymore.

• Marleen August 15, 2019 / 5:26 pm

Oops. I meant I’m all for democratic discussion.

• Marilyn Armstrong August 15, 2019 / 6:08 pm

So next, we all have to ask HOW IN HELL DO WE GET THAT KIND OF DISCUSSION? It’s not for want of trying, but it never works. Even when the “main” parties agree, someone is going to be assassinated — NOT by their opposition, but at home, but a disagreeing party. it has happened in many Arab countries and once in israel. You may be able to stop you neighbors, but not your own people. If someone has an answer, I’m all ears. Not that i have anything to do with fixing the problem. If it were up to me, it would have been fixed in the early 1980s before they killed Sadat.

7. rugby843 August 15, 2019 / 2:04 pm

He just keeps spouting hate, horrible. He has no idea what they think or feel and even if he wasn’t president (sorry I gagged writing that) he has no place to talk such trash against anyone.

8. iidorun August 15, 2019 / 3:54 pm

I really appreciated your post here. It seems that the concept of “both-and” is a stretch for the president and other like minded people. One can dislike the way that the institution of the Israel have treated Palestinians AND not be anti-Semitic. In the same way that I hate this presidency and his administration AND still have conservative republican family members and friends in my life. It isn’t either-or! To live peacefully in this world is not to live in a zero-sum game. The answers to any problem never lies with one OR the other but with BOTH/all parties involved.

Thank you for this reminder that we are CAPABLE of holding two thoughts in our minds, even if they are conflicting. That higher thinking is what separates us adults from thinking like children and the other animals.

• Fandango August 15, 2019 / 10:00 pm

Interesting and kind of scary. It sounds well researched, although I’d have to back to the source articles he linked to and do a deeper dive. I have grown skeptical and cynical and am not sure how much of what he wrote is legit or is a combination of conspiracy theory or innuendo. Anyway, thanks for sharing the article. I’m going to have to take some more time with it.

• ArtisanX August 16, 2019 / 4:28 pm

I’ve had to go back a few times to pick some things up. I think their intention was to present facts. Theories etc are linked into a couple of the articles. All I know is I just want someone to realize that he really is not that good at diverting attention away from things he needs to answer. Yet they seem to give him free passes. After Epstein died he said things like We need to investigate Clinton and the Democrats when all along we know he has been seen and lied about knowing Epstein. Why is no one finding that suspicious. If anyone could have wiped someone out that they were afraid would expose them, it would most def be Trumpet. How about just one person somewhere make that connection and put it back at him. (Sorry I have been stewing on this ever since he first tweeted after the dudes death)

• Marleen August 16, 2019 / 5:21 pm

I understand your frusatraton. What I mostly heard was people bothered that a president would re-tweet a conspiracy theory — so, annoyance over form. But, as to content (when we all know there was in fact and is a conspiracy), they should turned it back on him

• ArtisanX August 16, 2019 / 6:22 pm

So much is so wrong! I cant stand it, and don’t watch or read the news much anymore because I just can’t.

• Marilyn Armstrong August 16, 2019 / 7:12 pm

I think we all feel that way at least some of the time. I feel — probably because I’ve lived a life — that I have an obligation to try and do the one thing left that I CAN do, which is writing. I can’t carry a sign. I’m not going to be part of protest movements — not anymore. But this, I can do. So I do it. I don’t watch all the news every day, but I try to at least keep aware of what’s going on here and around the world. I’m very sorry that this country has been such a bummer and everything I thought we might have accomplished seems to have gone kaput. It is depressing. Worse than depressing.