Stick to Your Knitting

5D9B98F6-E8D8-41F7-80B4-239B624ED153Vivian sat quietly knitting a sweater for her grandson in the corner of the activity room of the home for seniors.

Charlene, a member of the facility’s senior care team, walked up to Vivian and reminded her that they were about to start the bingo game. “Keep your voice down,” Vivian whispered. “Are you trying to wake up the dead, you little sprig? I’m not deaf, you know.”

Charlene lowered her voice. “I was just trying to see if I could get you to be sociable with your friends here in the home. You’ve been very standoffish lately, Vivian.”

“We’ve been down this road before, Charlene,” Vivian said. “I have no friends here and I have no interest in being sociable with any of those old fogies, most of whom already have one foot in the grave. I’d rather just sit in my corner being inconspicuous. What I really need is one of those Potter kid’s cloak of invisibility.”

“Why must you always be such an obstinate bitch, Vivian?” Charlene asked.

“Charlene,” Vivian said, “being an obstinate bitch is the only reason I’m still alive at almost ninety.”

“Fine, Vivian,” Charlene said, throwing her arms into the air, “I tried. Just sit here by yourself and stick to your knitting if that’s all you want to do.”

Written for these daily prompts: Word of the Day Challenge (knit), Ragtag Daily Prompt (wake), Daily Addictions (up), Nova’s Daily Random Word (sprig), The Daily Spur (road), Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (inconspicuous), and Your Daily Word Prompt (obstinate).

19 thoughts on “Stick to Your Knitting

1. Taswegian1957 August 12, 2019 / 8:20 pm

This story speaks to one of my fears, that I will end up in a nursing home and be forced to get involved in social activities I have no interest in. People like Charlene need to realise there is a difference between being alone and being lonely. Vivian was happy doing what she was doing and Charlene had no right to speak to her that way because she was still capable of making her own choices.

• Fandango August 12, 2019 / 10:15 pm

I share you anxieties about ending up that way. My one hope is that when it’s my time to go, I’ll be at home in my own bed and just won’t wake up in the morning.

2. LillBlu1981 August 12, 2019 / 9:44 pm

Wow I’m just like this already.
    Even have the pile of knitting I’d rather be doing than socialising!
    I’m 38!

• Fandango August 12, 2019 / 10:18 pm

Well, you should be well practiced for what may be coming your way 40 years from now!

• Marleen August 13, 2019 / 10:54 pm

Seventy-eiight isn’t very old.

• LillBlu1981 August 13, 2019 / 11:00 pm

At the rate im dropping to bits Ill not make 60 without being in a wheelchair and my memory is already failing. Im a young lady in an old persons body already!
            If however medical science can fix me sometime soon before i lose the use of my legs and marbles then im all for living till im 150. 78 isn’t old at all but it is if your already buggered!

• LillBlu1981 August 12, 2019 / 10:20 pm

Now that’s an interesting question…
        Should assisted suicide be decriminalised and why?
        Maybe one for another weeks FPQ?

3. leigha66 August 13, 2019 / 5:11 pm

Charlene was out of line talking to her like that. I liked this piece Fandango!

4. Shweta Suresh August 15, 2019 / 12:28 am

Charlene was too harsh on Vivian. Nice job there on including all those prompts