How Convenient

ECDAC94D-CA73-45B2-BE3C-B1C38BED2C79The first thing I do when I wake up in the morning is pick up my iPhone and glimpse at the breaking news notifications that show up on my iPhone. What I saw this morning was a bunch of notifications that Jeffrey Epstein, the American financier and convicted sex offender, best known for his alleged sex trafficking of juvenile girls, and who had close connections with many of the world’s elite, had committed suicide in his cell in a Lower Manhattan prison.

Less than three weeks ago, Epstein was found unresponsive in his cell, with marks on his neck that appeared to be self-inflicted. As a result, since July 23rd, Epstein had been put on suicide watch.

How does someone who is incarcerated in a federal prison and who is on suicide watch manage to commit suicide? That just doesn’t make sense, does it?

At the risk of sounding like a conspiracy theorist, given that Epstein was in a position to potentially release the identities of many of his rich, famous, powerful, and influential friends and customers of his sex trafficking operations, his “suicide” seems awfully convenient.

I also noted that some of the stories differed in their reporting of the incident. Some said that he was found in cardiac arrest and died in the hospital he was taken to. Others reported that he was found dead from hanging in his cell. I do hope that some intrepid investigative journalists will be able to get to the bottom of this story.

To me, it speaks volumes that we have reached the stage where nothing that happens, when there is any connection to Donald Trump, can be taken at face value.

Will we ever find out for sure if Epstein’s death was actually a suicide or if it may have been a conveniently timed homicide? I’m not holding my breath.

Written for these daily prompts: Word of the Day Challenge (glimpse), Daily Addictions (identity), Your Daily Word Prompt (juvenile), Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (differ), Ragtag Daily Prompt (intrepid), and The Daily Spur (stage).

47 thoughts on “How Convenient

1. Paula Light August 10, 2019 / 8:48 am

On Twitter, nuttier folks say things like… he’s not really dead but paid for this staged farce and will now be spirited off to a secret location to live out his days in luxury while his “body” is “cremated.” 😂

• Fandango August 10, 2019 / 9:43 am

And I’ve heard that some are blaming Hillary. That’s why o don’t do Twitter.

2. V.J. Knutson August 10, 2019 / 9:22 am

Oh, how the mighty fall. No matter the reason, that someone this powerful would end up dead is a strong indicator that the truth is sicker than the mind that ended this life.

3. TokyoSand August 10, 2019 / 9:27 am

The conspiracy theories are raging on Twitter. I would much preferred that Epstein face justice but am I surprised that having tried to off himself once before, succeeded this time? No. Potential silver lining: 1) Federal prosecutors are pointing out this morning that with him dead, there isn’t anyone who can legally object to search warrants, which will help with the collection of evidence, and 2) perhaps more women will now speak out about Epstein and the world he subjected them to because they no longer have to fear his power.

4. Shweta Suresh August 10, 2019 / 9:50 am

Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction. There definitely is something fishy about his suicide.

5. Marleen August 10, 2019 / 11:03 am

I’m glad you said it. Someone… many influential people wanted him dead.

• Marleen August 10, 2019 / 11:08 am

The last I had heard prior to this was that one of the victims (a woman who was abused when she was a minor) made an official statement (maybe an affidavit) for court purposes that she personally never saw Donald Trump have sex with a minor. Certainly, that wouldn’t mean no one else ever saw such a thing. But it might’ve taken some slowdown out of the way.

• Marleen August 10, 2019 / 11:12 am

When there was a report that there were marks on his neck, a few weeks ago, it was also reported that he had a violent cellmate (someone notorious). That was weird too.

• msjadeli August 10, 2019 / 7:14 pm

I think if someone(s) could be incriminated by him, it would be easy to arrange his “suicide”. He should have been whisked away to an unknown location. The moment he was picked up he became dead man walking.

• Fandango August 10, 2019 / 9:47 pm

The “violent” cellmate denied having anything to do with it. But that’s to be expected, right?

6. James Pyles August 10, 2019 / 11:27 am

Actually, I first found out about it on social media. Supposedly, Epstein had dirt on the Trumps and Clintons among others, and yes, his death is highly suspicious. The trending hashtag on twitter is #ClintonBodyCount, so you’re not wrong about that, either.

• Fandango August 10, 2019 / 9:49 pm

Even Trump retweeted a tweet that Hillary had it done to protect Bill from scandal. Sheesh.

• Marleen August 11, 2019 / 12:15 am

Hm… maybe Melania had it done.

• msjadeli August 10, 2019 / 7:15 pm

Yes and yes, but how many will skate now if he can’t testify…

• Fandango August 10, 2019 / 10:11 pm

True, but what secrets will go to the grave with him? Who benefited from his death?

7. Marleen August 10, 2019 / 2:24 pm

[TYT] Jeffrey Epstein “Commits Suicide”:
    I Have the Answer for How to Solve It

• Marleen August 10, 2019 / 2:25 pm

[TYT] Was The ICE Raid Payback?

• msjadeli August 10, 2019 / 7:30 pm

What’s the AOC? He makes some good points. Follow the money. Greatest incompetence in a very long time. I wish brains had a “black box” that we could pull the info from.

• Marleen August 10, 2019 / 8:33 pm

A black box for brains/information, interesting thought. I wish. It is possible, though, that there is some kind of evidence somewhere. We will see. He was, as you could tell, mainly saying that progressives could be objective in an investigation (and he had a particular person to suggest as a possibility, such as for heading up a committee or commission — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez — who has a track record in asking meaningful questions).

I included the video about the ICE raiding in Mississippi because I think people like Trump (and/or other powerful people) enjoy contributing to unstable situations (contributing to the instability) and even the orphaning of many kids. The better to abuse them in other ways.

• msjadeli August 10, 2019 / 10:09 pm

OK, thank you for the explanation on AOC. They need to have someone with integrity that can’t be bought (ha! right!) investigating the prison like Cenk said. Don’t tell me they don’t have video surveillance cameras in the suicide watch areas!

8. Maggie August 10, 2019 / 3:07 pm

I will not join in and conspire although it is tempting. I just hope some positive end result comes for the victims. Political power and money are dangerous bedfellows.

9. JT Twissel August 10, 2019 / 5:26 pm

The suicide will make it very hard for any of his victims to gain compensation. So they will suffer twice.

• Fandango August 10, 2019 / 10:26 pm

Unless the government freezes his assets or sets a big chunk aside for the civil suits.

10. Lolsy's Library August 10, 2019 / 10:28 pm

We may never know what happened. I’ve heard that people in jail don’t like people who harm children, so it could be anyone! He should have been in protective custody.

11. All About Life August 11, 2019 / 12:39 am

I read this this morning and went on conspiracy theory overdrive – be interesting to see how it develops…..