Google Search Results

In the wake of last week’s brouhaha over the harvesting of WordPress bloggers’ post by the tygpress.com site, and the collective efforts taken by many of us to stop the unauthorized theft of our intellectual property, I’ve been checking that site several times a day to verify that it’s still “tentatively” down. And so far, it is.

But what is kind of cool is that when I type “tygpress.com” into Google and scroll down the results displayed, one of my posts is on the first page of results (on my iPhone, at least), along with those of some other WordPress bloggers, including Lorraine of Blindwilderness, Di of Pensitivity101, and a number of others.E321CD37-57F7-474D-9066-03517567646EAnd on the Google Images Page, there are two of my blog’s images near the top of the results.87BEDFD6-F2BB-4FAA-87A8-E6A37A5838F9I have to admit that I was kind of chuffed — a term I learned from Rory (A Guy Called Bloke), which is a British word meaning “very pleased” — to have seen my posts listed among the top search results in Google.

Anyway, the point of this post isn’t to brag. If you posted anything about tygpress over the past week, you may want to go to Google, search tygpress.com, and see if any of your post blurbs about tygpress are listed in the Google search pages. Let me know in the comments if you do.

And just so you know, having a blurb from one of your posts showing up in Google is very different than having your entire blog harvested and readable on tygpress.

28 thoughts on “Google Search Results

1. Taswegian1957 August 6, 2019 / 7:44 pm

I think we can rightfully feel pleased about how things turned out at least for this website. My blogger friend Dennis from Diary of Dennis has posted some very interesting technical details about this site and how this type of thing works in the comment thread of my blog. I can’t say I fully understand it but I get the gist and those of you who are more tech-savvy may find them interesting to read.

2. Jen Goldie August 6, 2019 / 7:52 pm

I used Bing and got Pensivity and Therapy Bits right away discussing the whole thing.. Images gave me your image 3 times. That’s just a quick look.

• Fandango August 6, 2019 / 9:52 pm

It’s interesting how different the search results are between Google and Bing.

• Jen Goldie August 6, 2019 / 9:55 pm

Oh yah? I’ve been using Bing for so long I forget. Bing has less results per page?

• Fandango August 6, 2019 / 10:01 pm

No, just different results. If you go to Google and do the same search, you’ll see. Same with Google Images Versus Bing Images. I guess Google and Bing have different algorithms for what ends up being shown. I searched on “tygpress.com,” and I noticed that you searched on “tygpress,” so that might account for some differences.

• Jen Goldie August 6, 2019 / 10:07 pm

oic Also I had to dig deeper into the pages. I dunno *sigh* I also saw a personal photo of AngloSwiss in the image search, The one on her backyard patio. I didn’t like that much. Someone could easily use it.

3. Carol Anne August 6, 2019 / 7:53 pm

I googled it, mine isnt showing up, but I am glad the posts are showing up! That is good! They know now we arent to be messed with and we mean business!

4. Paula Light August 6, 2019 / 10:32 pm

Also chuffed these creeps are kaput. I don’t see my blog in the results, which is fine. I’d just as soon not be associated with that site in any way whatsoever.

5. sca11y August 6, 2019 / 11:52 pm

My blog (on Google) gives a few stats regarding visits, one of which is a list of referrers. The blog has been going 2½ years and I’ve been very surprised over the last few months to see referrers including google, yahoo and bing. Which must mean that it is not just appearing in search results, but a few searchers are actually following the link.
    This is a blog which is very special-interest. My initial assumptions were that its stats must be screwy, and it took a while to sink in that people other than me were actually reading it. Plus I’m quite a long-winded writer so, to me at least, it isn’t very exciting.
    The other funny is that Google shows me very basic reader geography, just to the country level. So when I see hits from Japan, say, I’m pretty sure that it can’t just be miscounting my own visits.

• Fandango August 7, 2019 / 6:18 am

I didn’t know you had a blog. What is it’s URL?

6. Liz August 7, 2019 / 12:52 am

I have spotted this with keeping an eye on Tygpress. But do remain in feeling chuffed, because I am. It shows how a bunch of strangers on WordPress came together and worked together when no one else helped, when we discovered what was happening with our blog posts.
    I hope it serves as a warning for others who may think of trying it.

• Fandango August 7, 2019 / 6:22 am

“It shows how a bunch of strangers on WordPress came together and worked together when no one else helped….” Yes, that is something to be chuffed about!

7. pensitivity101 August 7, 2019 / 6:09 am

Thanks for letting me know. Interesting how things can work out sometimes!
    BTW my American bosses were introduced to ‘chuffed’ in 2000 and thought it an awesome word. Glad you like it too!!!

8. Melanie B Cee August 7, 2019 / 6:55 am

I read, during the ‘war’, that they were spinning it (the scraping/harvesting thing) as a ‘mistake’. Um hmmm. I do not appear in the search, which reassures me that my ‘not easily found by search engines’ is working on WP. Now if I type in “Sparks…etc”, well that’s another thing altogether. 😐

9. SarahC August 7, 2019 / 10:54 am

Am i the only one who sees this spelling.
    techical issues,”
    no wonder they are, nevermind……………i wont describe them….
    On another note, though my blog was to be not Easily Found either for search engines it was by the so called Techical Wizards, ha

• Fandango August 7, 2019 / 11:28 am

Ha! No, a few have caught it. Maybe English is not their first language. The site is based in India.