Do People Really Believe This Shit?

11be17e7-5c6f-467c-be9c-e0d133e972cd.jpegAfter more than 30 people were killed in two deadly shootings this weekend, Ohio state Rep. Candice Keller, in a Facebook post, complained that Democrats play “the blame game” after every mass shooting.

She wrote that the real blame should be on the “breakdown of the traditional American family” and “acceptance of recreational marijuana.” Keller also blamed the gun violence on homosexual marriage, drag queen advocates, violent video games, open borders, kneeling athletes, and ignoring the importance of God and the church.

Interestingly, there was no mention of the proliferation of guns nor of high-capacity, semiautomatic, military-style killing machines.

And, oh yes, she also blames the “snowflakes, who can’t accept a duly-elected President.” Sheesh.

Here is her full Facebook post:

“The breakdown of the traditional American family (thank you, transgender, homosexual marriage, and drag queen advocates); fatherlessness, a subject no one discuses or believes is relevant; the ignoring of violent video games; the relaxing of laws against criminals (open borders); the acceptance of recreational marijuana; failed school policies (hello parents who defend misbehaving students); disrespect to law enforcement (thank you, Obama); hatred of our veterans (thank you, professional athletes who hate our flag and National Anthem); the Dem Congress, many members whom are open anti-Semitic; the culture, which totally ignores the importance of God and the church (until they elect a President); state officeholders, who have no interest whatsoever in learning about our Constitution and the Second Amendement; and snowflakes, who can’t accept a duly-elected President.”

If our elected representatives really believe this shit, we, my fellow Americans, are in deep doo doo.

73 thoughts on “Do People Really Believe This Shit?

1. Jen Goldie August 5, 2019 / 11:13 am

I can’t read this through. I got part way. All I can say is OH…..MY…GOD! 😦

• Jen Goldie August 5, 2019 / 1:34 pm

I feel so sorry for you guys 😦 But, you know? You guys live so close it’s like watching your neighbour fall apart and there’s nothing you can do about it! I keep getting notices at the bottom left of my Lap Top and all it is is bad news coming in from the States about shootings and …..sorry it saddens the HECK outta me. Really! I’m sorry. Sending POSITIVE VIBES your way ❤😐❤

2. Maggie August 5, 2019 / 11:29 am

Gone are the days when elected officials used their brain or even had one! Worse than the shooters are those who have the power to save lives and do nothing. Watching the debates, we are already in deep 💩.

3. lifelessons August 5, 2019 / 11:39 am

When is she up for re-election? if the voters have more brains than she does, they should vote her out on the strength of this statement, alone.

4. sca11y August 5, 2019 / 11:54 am

Be optimistic, Fandango. From your earlier post, at least some people have clear ideas not only about what is wrong, but about how to fix it. Even if not eyeryone does.

• sca11y August 6, 2019 / 1:42 am

Just take her argument at face value, anyway. Decline in the traditional American fami When did that start? Mass shootings seemed to start after WWII – quite a specific time – so is there correlation between the two? I think not. Or, surely other countries have also experienced a change from their traditional family values? Why do shooting sprees happen less often there? We could argue all night about what motivates people to kill other people, but the plain fact is that the USA allows them the means to do so, where other countries, in general, don’t.

I share the sentiment certainly of you and of pretty much every one of your commenters, but this woman will have thousands who vote for her, every election, and they’re the people who need convincing that she’s an idiot. I don’t think it is enough for us, though, just to say that her argument is dumb, without also spelling out *why* it is dumb.

5. Marleen August 5, 2019 / 12:15 pm

Whether she believes it in her heart of hearts or not, she will keep acting on it. I think she probably does “believe” it, because she doesn’t know how to think.

The person who committed the act in El Paso repeated the kinds of things Trump says, but the problem is people who don’t want to accept Trump?

6. newepicauthor August 5, 2019 / 12:19 pm

Tragedies have a way of bringing people together, but Republicans are always looking to tear this country apart.

7. Christine Bolton August 5, 2019 / 12:30 pm

Yes, I read this newsflash earlier and laughed my socks off. Honest you can’t make this stuff up. They believe it 😳 I can’t wait for the Revenge of the Drag Queens! 🤣

8. Marleen August 5, 2019 / 12:55 pm

……….

A new generation of shooters have created a market for the once-novelty devices, said Rick Vasquez, a former ATF program manager that runs Active Crisis Consulting.

“You still don’t really see them used much in the military for lack of consistency and all the added weight,” Vasquez said.

High-capacity magazines have been used in other mass shootings, including in Las Vegas, Sutherland Springs, Texas and Parkland, Florida.

Vasquez said the Trump administration’s recent move to limit access to bump stock devices hinged on changing a legal definition. Magazine size bans need legislation, he said, like the federal ban that ran from 1994 to 2004.

“States can regulate this pretty quickly, but I don’t see Texas or Ohio taking that up anytime soon,” Vasquez said.

‘A normal individual seeing that type of weapon might be alarmed’ ………………..

9. Paula Light August 5, 2019 / 1:57 pm

No one believes that. They just jump on tragedies to rant about things they hate anyway. No rightwinger honestly believes that drag queens had a damn thing to do with that asshole down in Texas deciding to murder people. This woman just hates drag queens, Obama, etc. and decided to go on a spree of verbal diarrhea.

10. msjadeli August 5, 2019 / 3:34 pm

Another brain-dead zombie B speaks. This takes conspiracy theory to a psychotic level — and the rest of the zombies eat it up like candy. What is scary is how many “fox news addicts” I know in my circle of real-life knowledge. My friends — not fox news addicts — and I chit-chat about the zombies here and there in public places, but it has gotten to a point where there is that moment of reflex of looking around to make sure someone isn’t staring, recording, reporting back to their “leaders.” I EFFIN HATE THAT FEELING! Peeps, what are we going to do to get our sh*t together to turn this Titanic around?

11. JT Twissel August 5, 2019 / 4:15 pm

They just close their eyes, stick their fingers in their ears and repeat the talking points.

12. Copy Chick August 5, 2019 / 5:02 pm

This one really had me scratching my head in wonderment at the idiocy and plain cray cray of how these people’s heads work. It does explain, as always, why we are in this tragic place.

13. Marilyn Armstrong August 5, 2019 / 6:41 pm

I think a belief that ANYBODY who follows Trump has a working brain cell or a semblance of conscience is deeply deluded.

14. Lolsy's Library August 5, 2019 / 9:28 pm

I just saw about this woman (if she really is, hehe). How does someone have that much hate, how could people trust this”person” to make unbiased decisions. I heard they are asking her to leave the position, but she’ll probably just do “Freedom of Speech”.

15. Léa August 6, 2019 / 2:14 am

Unfortunately, there are a significant amount of Americans who do believe this fecal matter. They are known as the right-wing or Trump’s base. They are also known by other names which I decided not to use here. This was planned long before Trump and much is a direct result of the dumbing down of America.

• Fandango August 6, 2019 / 7:14 am

Yes, but before Trump it was not out in the open. Trump has given these idiots permission to come out of the closet, so to speak.

16. Léa August 6, 2019 / 2:15 am

BTW, I can just imagine Christopher Hitchens on the subject…

• Léa August 6, 2019 / 7:43 am

Fortunately, we can still hear him on YouTube and we have his books. One of the books I’m reading at the moment is his. The other, is Tolstoy…

17. Taswegian1957 August 6, 2019 / 4:23 am

If I had read a post like this on Facebook my first reaction would be to really angry and want to call her out on it. I hate this kind of thing. However, my second reaction would be “don’t go there.” once you start commenting on this sort of post on social media it can get incredibly nasty. I’d end up feeling even angrier and upset.
    It is unbelievable that sensible people would vote for someone like this but I’ve been shocked to find that sensible Australians would vote for the same terrible government not once but twice.

• Fandango August 6, 2019 / 8:08 am

The operative words in your comment are “sensible people.” Anyone who would post what this woman wrote is anything but sensible.

18. James Pyles August 6, 2019 / 6:20 am

I read recently that Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez blames the recent shootings in California, Texas, and Ohio on organized white supremacy and that the shooters are (more or less) the enforcement arm of their racism, fueled, of course, by President Trump. Frankly, I’m having a hard time believing that a group of disaffected, isolated, incels could be that organized that that these shooting represent a strategic, thought-out, and focus effort to enforce white supremacy in the United States.

Also, there are a number of acts of gun violence that are not widely reported, including gun deaths in all five New York City boroughs and in various parts of Chicago over the past few weekends. My question is why do some of these shootings get wide coverage on mainstream news networks and others receive little attention, even though there are just as many victims? Maybe we’re not getting the whole picture.

• Marleen August 6, 2019 / 7:47 am

….

Ocasio-Cortez noted that the San Bernardino and Pulse night club mass shootings in 2015 and 2016 were labeled as acts of domestic terrorism while white supremacist Dylann Roof’s mass killing of several parishioners at a historic black church in South Carolina was not labeled the same way.

Anti-Defamation League Senior VP George Selim told the freshman congresswoman that Roof’s act of white nationalist violence should have been classified as domestic terrorism.

Ocasio-Cortez also observed that the mass shooting at a Pittsburgh synagogue in 2018 by a white supremacist was also not labeled as an act of domestic terrorism, and Selim responded that while former Attorney General Jeff Sessions [who has been shamed and drummed out by Trump] called it such, domestic terrorism charges were not brought by prosecutors.

The difference between the white supremacist shooters and the other two shooters is their identity. The other shooters had brown skin and were Muslims.

…….

• Fandango August 6, 2019 / 8:17 am

We have become numb to the quantity of shootings in this country, but it’s when multiple people are killed and/or wounded in a mass shooting by someone brandishing a assault rifle that gets our attention…for a few days. Until the next such mass shootings. As to what AOC said, many of these mass shooters are fueled by Trump, although I don’t believe these murderers are part of a group. I think they are disaffected individuals who hear what their President says and take it as a call to arms. If we did get the “whole picture,” Trump would be undergoing formal impeachment hearings.

• Marleen August 6, 2019 / 11:09 am

Trump laughs off “shoot them” remark about migrants at Florida rally

• Marleen August 6, 2019 / 11:17 am

Donald Trump blamed the internet and social media for the “racist hate” displayed by the suspect in the El Paso massacre, but his own re-election campaign has characterized immigration as an “invasion” in more than 2,000 Facebook ads this year.

The president said the internet provided a “dangerous avenue to radicalize disturbed minds” on Monday, in his first public remarks about the mass shootings that left 22 dead in El Paso, Texas, and another nine dead in Dayton, Ohio, over the weekend.

“The shooter in El Paso posted a manifesto online consumed by racist hate,” he said. “We must shine light on the dark recesses of the internet, and stop mass murders before they start.”

The white nationalist screed by the suspect in the El Paso shooting was indeed posted in one of the those dark corners of the web: the extremist message board 8chan.

But the language used by the alleged killer replicates language used by Trump, and his re-election campaign, not in any obscure forum but on his official Facebook and Twitter pages. The second sentence of the manifesto – “This attack is a response to the Hispanic invasion of Texas” – echoes white nationalist rhetoric ….

……..

The group most likely to have seen the caravan ads on Facebook before they were removed was men aged 25-34 …

Since Trump’s remarks on Monday morning, the set of approximately 1,000 Facebook ads his campaign is running have focused on selling campaign merchandise, including plastic straws, beer cozies and baseball caps. He is also running 28 ads featuring the slogan “Latinos for Trump”.

• Marleen August 6, 2019 / 12:08 pm

I sometimes tune into stations I don’t normally watch. I do this in order to see what’s going on in that nether world. I recently happened to catch something I couldn’t believe was being aired, although “couldn’t believe” in the current environment is an overstatement. I’ve looked at this channel before, and I know I don’t like it. More recently, but before my recent checking in on it, Rachel Maddow reported that there is mutual employment by Russia and this supposedly conservative television station that Donald Trump likes (OAN).

Here is what I was hearing, and thus started to record (in order to jot in down and share it later if it made sense to do so); original air date, August first (Thursday):

[When I initially switch to a channel, the first words cannot usually be recorded. The first two words I’m typing in are the end of a sentence. The man speaking (on “The Daily Ledger” — Graham Ledger) had given a couple or maybe three other supposed illustrations of what he was trying to convey. They were both/all extreme, in my opinion, but then there was the last.] Third Reich. It may or may not be coordinated by a central controlling authority of a singular country, but the net result is the same. The United States is being invaded by foreign nationals that are necessarily radically changing [he put rigid bodily emphasis on radically and changing] our society. And the American people need to wake up to what is happening. There are undeniable trends. {*}They’re evidenced through census data. For example, the birth rate. As many white babies are being born in this country now as minority babies. Conversely, the most common age for whites in America is 58. The most common age for Hispanics? E-ll-e-v-e-n. Those are telling numbers. And they will have a direct impact on the future of American culture. Now. I do not believe that these numbers are necessarily bad. They might be good. I don’t play identity politics. However, they DO point to a net trend. That is certainly being exacerbated by the wide open southern border and reckless anti-American immigration law. Truth is, it’s less about the ethnic make up of this invading army and more about the content of their character. Who ARE these illegals? We don’t know. [I’m skipping some of his rant. He says we don’t know if they want to assimilate. He says (more than once) we have ONE “crises” — yes, one crises (not one crisis)] It’s obvious what’s going on. We’re being invaded. This country is being RAPED. We’re being raped as a nation. We’re being taken advantage of, we’re being tied down, and we are being raped — by these people. By these people who are invading. [Blah, blah. Really, it’s all blah, blah. But he gets around to…] There aren’t two crises going on, there’s ONE MAJOR ASSAULT.

[Wow, this guy is dumb. He tries to make an analogy of treating a disease, not a symptom, by talking about chicken pox. Don’t put cream on the bumps, he suggests. Hint for the real world (from me): chicken pox just takes time to go away; you probably want cream on the bumps. You can’t take antibiotics for it. You can’t eat right to totally avoid it (while, of course, it’s always good to eat right — especially when you’re sick — but he’s not talking about that either). He grabbed a poor analogy. Anyway, he tries to make the point that taking care of people coming across the border is a symptom, and that we shouldn’t let them be here — apparently at all. I’m using my own words to summarize him now because he’s horrible to listen to. He uses a clip of a woman (a senator but not one of the very famous ones) speaking in a hearing about supplies for the border situation — his excuse to say (in argument against her) that sending supplies is treating a symptom (the supplies are like cream). He praises Trump but blames people in Congress, calling people in Congress (representatives and senators) “the enemy” even though Trump asked for more money in response to complaints that people don’t have diapers, water, toothbrushes, etc. Here’s the catch, which Mr. Ledger doesn’t let on about. The for-profit detainment facilities were already getting over 750 dollars a day per person and not providing anything like what that obviously ought to cover.]

{*He didn’t speak clearly in this spot, and the closed captioning showed bad grammar. But there are two ways to take what he said as grammatically correct. I went with one.}

Note the gaslighting immediately embedded within this jerks presentation.

• Marleen August 7, 2019 / 12:15 pm

I know… no comma in jerk’s.

I think we need to figure out a way to keep a constant message in the minds of the public — that Trump owes El Paso for the last time he visited (used and abused) that city. I thought things like the people there should put signs up to that effect, but it shouldn’t be on them.

• Marleen August 7, 2019 / 2:13 pm

February 6, 2019

A day after a State of the Union address in which Trump discussed the need for bipartisanship, the president’s campaign announced he would hold his first political rally of the year on Monday in El Paso, Texas, a city that was featured in his speech.

………………..

• Marleen August 7, 2019 / 2:34 pm

……..

According to City Councilwoman Alexsandra Annello, Trump’s delay in paying up, “Shows a lack of concern for the community and the tax-paying voters of El Paso. President Trump has in many ways, over the last year, put a financial burden on this community and has yet to show us the respect we deserve. It is clear that our borderland is not a priority of the president.”

….

• Marleen August 7, 2019 / 3:21 pm

With President Trump set to visit El Paso, Texas, in the wake of Saturday’s mass shooting, the city is re-upping its request for his campaign to pay the bill for the last time he was there. Trump visited the border city in February for a campaign rally, and according to a Texas Tribune report the president’s campaign still owes over a half-million dollars for the rally.

“Our resources are really strained right now,” said Alexsandra Annello, a member of the El Paso City Council. “Our police and fire are exhausted, our health department had for three days straight been working with the reunification of families. As you see from the bill, these are the services required for a presidential visit. In addition to financial costs, our community and resources are already strained and do not need this extra burden.”

According to the city, Trump’s campaign owed $470,417.05 for police and public safety services related to the February rally, which was not an official presidential visit. The city sent the Trump campaign a letter in May prior to the deadline notifying it of the past-due invoice and in June added a one-time 21 percent late fee penalty, bringing the total bill to $569,204.63.

………

• Marleen August 7, 2019 / 10:18 pm

……..

“Too many people still think of these attacks as single events, rather than interconnected actions,” the historian Kathleen Belew, author of Bring the War Home: The White Power Movement and Paramilitary America, wrote in an opinion column on Sunday. “We spend too much ink dividing them into anti-immigrant, racist, anti-Muslim or antisemitic attacks. True, they are these things. But they are also connected with one another through a broader white power ideology.”

Defining white nationalism

………………………..

• Marleen August 8, 2019 / 2:09 pm

… Nazis [congregating in Charlottesville] Chant
              ‘Jews Will Not Replace Us’
              Through Streets of #CVille 8/12/17

~ a group of disaffected, isolated, incels (maybe)

• Marleen August 8, 2019 / 7:07 pm

WATCH: White supremacists chant … in Charlottesville
              Vice News Tonight airs new footage from the neo-Nazi rally in Virginia
              [… that] Friday [night], showing marchers chaNting racist slogans, including anti-Semitic ones.

The footage was filmed less than 24 hours before one of the white extremists plowed his car into a crowd protesting against the neo-Nazi rally, killing one of them.

As they march with torches, the white supremacists chant several different racist slogans, including “You will not replace us, Jews will not replace us.”

There are two (shorter) video clips on this page and a (22-minute) documentary lower down on the page.

• Marleen August 11, 2019 / 4:21 pm

…….

When his rally got underway, the president said that “69,000 signed up to be here. The arena holds about 8,000.”

Trump thanked the fire department for getting 10,000 people in the El Paso County Coliseum…

However, a fire department spokesman said 6,500 people were inside the venue [which holds 6,500] and denied any special accommodations were made.

……..

And Donald Trump/his campaign owes El Paso over half a million dollars for that visit for the event.

• Marleen August 11, 2019 / 5:11 pm

……. Trump’s supporters shouted “Finish the wall!”while waving signs bearing the sentiment in a revision of the original rallying cry of “Build the wall!”

………….

I saw, reported too, the president [lied/slandered] the mayor as “full of crap.” The mayor who’d officially stated ahead of time that a visit from the president would be good for El Paso.

The U.S. Conference of Mayors is defending El Paso, Texas, mayor Dee Margo (R) as he faces attacks from President Trump for his comments about the border fence’s impact on crime.

“During his rally in El Paso, President Trump claimed that Margo was ‘full of crap’ because he and other local officials have said that a border fence has not made a difference in reducing crime in the city,” the body’s president, Steve Benjamin, said in a statement.

“… Credible statistics validated by the FBI and other local law enforcement officials show that El Paso has never been one of the nation’s most dangerous cities and was a safe city long before any wall was built along the border.”

Benjamin, who is the mayor of Columbia, S.C., added that mayors throughout the country “make decisions based on the facts and what we know to be true.”

“Moreover, this kind of criticism only contributes to the further loss of civility in public discourse and prevents us from moving forward together to make our cities and our country stronger and more secure,” Benjamin concluded.

[Trump’s] comments came about a week after[ President DJT ]claimed in his State of the Union address that El Paso was one of the most dangerous cities in the U.S. before a barrier was constructed.

……………

Officials in El Paso County [have] passed a resolution … stating that the city is “disillusioned by President Trump’s lies regarding the border and our community.”

The resolution noted that the county’s violent crime rate dropped 62 percent from 1993 to 2007, and that a fence wasn’t installed until 2008.

………

Margo’s viewpoint [stated earlier] differs with the highest ranking member of his own political party.

“I didn’t look at it as going against our president,” Margo said. “I looked at it as clarifying it on behalf of El Paso.”

While Margo admitted the wall has helped, he credits law enforcement with lowering the crime rate, especially the “Hold the Line” operation with the U.S. Border Patrol, which started in 1993.

The barrier “has helped as part of the process, but it didn’t dramatically change our crime rate,” Margo said.

The mayor said he attempted to meet with the president before his rally, but was unsuccessful.

“I’m not dismissing a physical barrier; I never have,” Margo said. “I would have loved to talk to the president about it.”

AND DONALD TRUMP/HIS CAMPAIGN/REPUBLICANS still OWE El Paso approximately half a million dollars.

• Marleen August 11, 2019 / 7:27 pm

There is an article here. There is also a video of the Republican mayor at the top.

We in El Paso, Texas, are a community that transcends the border. While some are concerned about our proximity to Mexico, we choose to celebrate it. While others embrace building a wall, we remind them a fence already exists.

Our community has consistently been ranked as one of the safest in the United States. …

……………

19. Léa August 6, 2019 / 7:41 am

Have you read The People’s History of the United States by Howard Zinn. It is guaranteed to wake up anyone who isn’t buried in denial…

• Léa August 6, 2019 / 8:40 am

It is a large volume and you won’t want to miss a word. I read it at least twenty years ago. It takes you from 1492 throiugh to the Clinton adminstration and shows how the country was set up to become what it is. It is a game changer. Happy reading.

20. Jerry Brotherton August 6, 2019 / 1:17 pm

Reblogged this on Jerry Brotherton and commented:
    It is too hard for me to believe that anyone with half a brain could spew this crap. Any question now as to who or what to blame.

21. leigha66 August 6, 2019 / 3:08 pm

Just makes me sick. If there aren’t major changes in 2020 I am REALLY scared to be a part of such a hateful nation.