The Good Old Days of Sanity

D257B441-014C-49BC-9511-18DEC2BCFEAAI have to admit that watching the Democratic candidates debates last night and tonight, I was hit with a wave of nostalgia. I was overcome with an adoration for the good old days of relative sanity before Donald Trump came on the political scene.

Between the human rights atrocities that are happening at our southern border courtesy of Trump, the climate change doubters in the Republican Party, tax breaks for the wealthy at the expense of the poor and middle class, and an attempt to take healthcare away from most Americans, Donald Trump and his sycophants in Congress are destroying all of the characteristics that have made America great.

Personally, I would be overjoyed if we, as citizens of our country, can come together and oust Donald Trump and his corrupt, unpatriotic cronies from our government. Because if Donald Trump, Mitch McConnell, and the other spineless, unscrupulous Republicans get re-elected in 2020, I fear that the America we have known and loved will disappear. And should that be the case, I might actually have to abjure my American citizenship and find someplace else in the world to call home.

Written for these daily prompts: Ragtag Daily Prompt (Nostalgia), Word of the Day Challenge (adoration), The Daily Spur (border), Weekly Prompts (doubters), Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (overjoyed), Daily Addictions (together), and Nova’s Daily Random Word (abjure).

19 thoughts on “The Good Old Days of Sanity

1. The Haunted Wordsmith July 31, 2019 / 7:19 pm

Just letting you know that your posts are being harvested too. You’re even a time traveller…they have this posted tomorrow since they are in India lol. Check my post for more info on this if you want.

• Paula Light July 31, 2019 / 7:55 pm

I wondered why hardly anyone liked my FPQ post today when my other posts got tons of likes.

• Fandango July 31, 2019 / 8:32 pm

Wow. Lots of my post as well as posts from others who have responded to my prompts. Yikes. Thanks for the heads up, Teresa.

2. The Real Cie (@therealcie) July 31, 2019 / 8:39 pm

I feel ya. I may not have cared for either Bush I or Dubya, but I never found myself thinking, “you know, this guy is completely batshit insane.” In fact, most of the time I thought Dubya seemed like a nice enough guy, I just didn’t want him as President.

• Fandango July 31, 2019 / 10:23 pm

I used to think Dubya was the worst modern president we ever had, but compared to Trump, Dubya wasn’t that bad.

3. msjadeli July 31, 2019 / 10:06 pm

There’s a good crop of candidates with the Dems. You know I want Bernie Sanders for 2020. Elizabeth Warren would be another possibility. How about a Sanders/Warren ticket?

• Fandango July 31, 2019 / 10:28 pm

Or a Warren/Sanders ticket? 😉. Another VP possibility is someone who is not even running for President. What do you think of Stacy Abrams? I could see Warren/Abrams.

• Copy Chick August 1, 2019 / 11:19 am

Stacy Abrams has my vote as running mate for many, especially if Biden does get the vote.

• msjadeli August 1, 2019 / 12:05 pm

I don’t know her/him but the clock is ticking and there needs to be name recognition.

4. SueW July 31, 2019 / 11:17 pm

One of the most spine chilling moments for me was when he incited a crowd to chant ‘Send them home’.

We have a new prime minister, Boris Johnson. Boris is probably leading us down yet another disastrous Brexit path, and he bends the truth to suit his own ends, but at least he’s not evil, he’s a good man at heart.

• Marleen August 1, 2019 / 12:12 pm

“Send them back!” Horrible, indeed.

5. sca11y August 1, 2019 / 12:39 am

On a UK political talk show a few weeks ago, Piers Morgan suggested that the only people with the, er, “stature” to beat Trump would either be Michelle Obama or Oprah Winfrey. I’ve no time for Morgan usually but I thought this was interesting. Doesn’t he also have some connection with the USA? (beyond just an interest in your politics?)

• Fandango August 1, 2019 / 6:13 am

Both woman’s names have been dropped but neither has indicated any interest in running for President. Piers used to have a TV talk show on CNN first or a few years. He took over the time slot of “Larry King Live” when King retired in 2010. “Piers Morgan Live” tanked in the ratings and his show got canceled in 2014 I think.

6. Marleen August 1, 2019 / 12:17 pm

On a more wonky level, the “Fed” reduced interest rates in a somewhat emergency type of move yesterday — because the tariffs are screwing people over. Response today? Trump says he’s adding MORE tarriffs!

• Fandango August 1, 2019 / 4:11 pm

And that announcement caused the stock market to drop from almost 300 points up before he announced that to almost 300 points down by the time it closed for the day.