Reblog — Its All Ducky, Long As You Are Lucky Enough To Be Born Wealthy Duck

Everything is not “ducky.” Far from it, in fact. A long, but compelling post well worth your time.

ttj

What’s that saying? If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, it’s a duck? Yet, regardless of the evidence of one’s eyes, there wouldn’t be a saying if people were not inclined to still be led down the garden path. So, for some Americans, approximately 42% or so last count, when the duck walks like a duck, talks like a duck, and looks like a duck, they believe it’s an Eagle, maybe a Hawk.

“Ignoring isn’t the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.”

Margaret Atwood,The Handmaid’s Tale

The dumbing down of America has taken a nation once prized for its healthcare and education, to a place where today ranks 27th in the World in terms of Human Capital.

So, why is that important? Because nations failing to invest in education and health care at risk of slow economic growth.

Well, and of course…

View original post 1,543 more words

6 thoughts on “Reblog — Its All Ducky, Long As You Are Lucky Enough To Be Born Wealthy Duck

1. Marilyn Armstrong July 15, 2019 / 9:03 am

Except I know this already. I have known this for more than 50 years when I campaigned for NY’s congress fighting for a better health care delivery system and no more cuts to education. I’m not interested in hearing yet one more opinion of how sucky our country has gotten.

I got that already. I want to hear what’s being DONE TO FIX IT. Anything else is just wind and noise.

• Fandango July 15, 2019 / 9:55 am

I know that YOU know all that, but there may be some apathetic or uninformed out there for who this might be educational.

• KC July 15, 2019 / 6:30 pm

except people read and listen to what supports their existing belief system –

2. Marleen July 16, 2019 / 12:10 am

Good share!

Wow…
    we were sixth in 1990.

3. Marleen July 16, 2019 / 2:35 pm

I remember — at least in the circles I conversed in — there being some concern back then (I think mainly with math, maybe not so much science, and broadly not with health care yet). I wasn’t alarmed personally, as not being number one isn’t necessarily an emergency… and I had what was needed in place while my children built their skills. I’d like us as a society to be in the top five; am disappointed if we’re below the leading ten.

As I look back over the span of time, what I see is that most of the new energy along with the attention and public funding has gone to diverting efforts toward charter schools (mainly for the profit of people like “our” current “Education Secretary” [not only while she’s been in that position but also before as a businesswoman, although she has been able to up her own gaming of the system since landing the job].

It has not gone for applying solutions benefiting our country as a whole or the educational opportunities available to the general population of children here. This downfall is part of the overall thinking which took hold that privatizing government functions is the right thing to do. This wastes money and leads to unacceptable services. We see it also in the school-to-prison pipeline (which might not touch most of us now).

We need to stop allowing the assault on our position as a nation of people with a government for the people and by the people (not the people with enough nerve to buy it up). Why should we pay more for prisons that fill pockets, camps and procedures that fill pockets, schools that fill pockets more than they educate a thinking public, private armies that fill pockets (while our actual troops suffer)? And on it goes. We shouldn’t.

While I am in favor of education, for sure, we need to be careful that we not just think more education is better education. More money (billions) for the border camps and asylum crisis is not a solution — even though Democrats fell for it and gave it to Trump and his moneymaker friends. With an administration that didn’t care to keep track of children they snatched, will they be matching those families back together for the bucks?

• Fandango July 16, 2019 / 5:07 pm

“With an administration that didn’t care to keep track of children they snatched, will they be matching those families back together for the bucks?” My sentiments exactly.