SoCS — How To Write a Blog Post

53777316-BF99-4AAF-9225-F10F49550527For today’s Stream of Consciousness Saturday prompt, Linda G. Hill has asked us to “Write instructions for anything you know how to do.”

I don’t possess a particular expertise in any area, but there is something I do multiple times a day. I write posts for my blog. So here are my instructions for writing a blog post in 32 easy steps:

1. Sit down at your computer (or with your tablet or smartphone).
  2. Open up your blogging app.
  3. Stare at the screen while you think of something to write about.
  4. Fix yourself a cup of coffee.
  5. Check your stats and read comments on your other posts.
  6. Go to your newsfeed, Facebook, or Twitter for ideas on current events, politics, religion, sports, or technology, or read other bloggers’ posts for ideas and/or writing prompts.
  7. Stare at the blank edit page waiting for something to click.
  8. Get another cup of coffee.
  9. Choose a topic for your post.
  10. Start typing (or tapping).
  11. Stop typing and read what you’ve written so far.
  12. Admit that it’s crap and move it to trash.
  13. Check your spam folder.
  14. Go back to your edit screen and start typing.
  15. Repeat steps 11 and 12.
  16. Repeat step 14.
  17. Repeat step 11 again.
  18. Decide that it’s good enough.
  19. Check for spelling and grammatical errors.
  20. Fix any such errors you find.
  21. Read your draft post out loud.
  22. Make any further edits to enhance flow and readability.
  23. Search the internet or your own photo library for a suitable image to illustrate the subject matter of your post.
  24. Preview your post.
  25. Make any further changes necessary.
  26. Repeat steps 24 and 25 until you think it’s ready to go.
  27. Hit “Publish.”
  28. Read your published post in your browser.
  29. Say to yourself, “Shit, how did I miss that typo?”
  30. Fix the typo.
  31. Hit “Update.”
  32. Go take a nap.

23 thoughts on “SoCS — How To Write a Blog Post

1. johnfreda July 13, 2019 / 5:27 am

Love this!! TG for prompts. I would be staring at blank screen for days, if not for them.

2. M. Oniker July 13, 2019 / 6:43 am

All accurate except 28 through 31 get repeated often. Yell, “Seriously? Another one?” Give up, figuring it is just a blog post. Claim you are not a writer anyway. Nap.

3. Victoria Stuart July 13, 2019 / 7:01 am

I love this! For me, there’s 6.5: crawl, dazed, out of the rabbit hole many hours later.

4. J-Dub July 13, 2019 / 9:28 am

Reminds me to check my spam folder. I forget about 13. all the time. Ha!

5. Marleen July 13, 2019 / 11:12 am

Writing step-by-step instructions is one of the best school assignments. Sometimes it involves proving you have carefully done the thing you describe the process for point-by-point (like making and bringing brownies). At times, it can pertain to something you do but can’t carry into the classroom; I once fulfilled such a project by learning and writing out the detailed rules for softball [or baseball — I was playing softball at the time, but technically researched baseball]. It’s fun to see an insider view of you creating a blog post. Three cheers for coffee.

6. DB McNicol July 13, 2019 / 1:27 pm

Love it, although I fully admit to not doing enough of the editing steps….LOL!

7. leigha66 July 14, 2019 / 5:04 pm

We follow similar steps, but these really made me laugh! Thank goodness there is coffee and a backspace button!

8. magnoliajem August 5, 2019 / 9:26 am

❤ My absolute favorite step is #29!! Anyone who says they don't have #29 in their process is either lying or too perfect to be a real person. Or, I suppose, could have OCD.

9. Lungisa Joctrey August 22, 2019 / 12:10 pm

I totally enjoyed this post. This is the first time I got read a blog post that made me laugh out loud from the beginnig to the end. 😂😂😂😂