Fandango’s Friday Flashback — July 12

Each Friday I will publish a post I wrote on this exact date in a previous year. I’ve had this blog for two years, so I have only 2017 and 2018 to draw from.

Wouldn’t you like to expose your newer readers to some of you earlier posts that they might never have seen? Or remind your long term followers of posts that they might not remember?

Why don’t you reach back into your own archives and highlight a post that you wrote on this very date in a previous year? You can repost your Friday Flashback post on your blog and pingback to this post. Or you can just write a comment below with a link to the post you selected.

If you’ve been blogging for less than a year, go ahead and choose a post that you previously published on this day (the 12th) of any month within the past year and link to that post in a comment.

It would be great if everyone who reads this post would scroll down to the comments and check out the posts that others provide links to.

I originally published this post on July 12, 2017 in response to a One-Liner Wednesday prompt from Linda G. Hill.

Self-Refection

Robert Burns

“O wad some Power the giftie gie us
To see oursels as ithers see us!”

The great Scottish poet, Robert Burns, made this astute observation in his poem, To a Louse.

Now I’m not a big fan of poetry, but back in high school English lit class, we did have to study some of the world’s great poets, including the aforementioned Robert Burns. Of all of his poems we read, one poem, and one particular line in that poem — the one I’ve quoted at the top of this post — stood out to me.

For a more contemporary interpretation of the quoted text, it essentially means, “It would be great if we could somehow have the gift of being able to see ourselves the way other people see us.”

We really can’t see ourselves as others see us, can we? We see ourselves through our own perspectives, our own perceptions, and our own reality. Few of us can understand how we really come across to those around us or to the world.

Wouldn’t it be nice if, even for just an hour or a day, we could know how others view us? I think that seeing ourselves as others see us would be a gift, but perhaps it would actually be a burden. No doubt, though, it would be illuminating.

Maybe you wouldn’t like what you see.

Maybe such a “gift” would cause you to only say and do things that would please others.

Maybe it’s better to stay true to yourself and behave in a way that is natural to you, as an individual, regardless of how you are viewed by others.

In the end, I suppose there’s nothing wrong with a little self-reflection.

10 thoughts on “Fandango’s Friday Flashback — July 12

• newepicauthor July 12, 2019 / 11:11 am

Robert Burns actually died in 1796 at the age of 37. This was a dinner given in his honor to celebrate his writings. The Scottish people are very proud of him.

• Fandango July 12, 2019 / 12:42 pm

Yes, I know. I was being facetious. But no doubt you knew that.

1. Marleen July 12, 2019 / 10:50 am

I think it’s important to be somewhat responsive to the way others see us (even significantly so to, depending upon whom we’re listening to or perceiving, very). However, as I’m sure you’d agree, we also need to be careful in another sense… of being wary or aware that not all people are really quite with it [and that’s even if they have successful careers, or, we could say, not successful careers but access to money (think Epstein and Trump)]. My mother was steadily employed (in a professional career requiring a college degree) for decades. Yet somehow she equated Trump never serving in any national armed force — but attending a military school beginning in eighth grade — with my dad actually going into the Air Force during the time of the Bay of Pigs. (That all got resolved; he came back home. He wasn’t career military, but served when called.)

• Fandango July 12, 2019 / 11:36 am

Really? Your mother thought Trump going to Military middle school was like serving active duty in the service?

• Marleen July 12, 2019 / 1:04 pm

She and I didn’t talk about what school grade he (Trump) started or ended with (nor did we discuss why he went, such as his father not wanting him around). And she didn’t, at first, bring up his going to military-style school [don’t know if there was any tangential connection to real Military people who he could have gone into service with when he was of age if he’d so chosen].

I mentioned that he never served. [I don’t remember how, exactly, it came up — something in the news.] She responded (as if it should be obvious) that people would say the same thing about my dad. Stop and think. That’s why he has stories (albeit not many) about setting out to active duty? It’s why she saw him go? That’s why he has “dogtags” and so forth?

I stated the fact that he (my dad) had been in the Air Force. That’s when she said Trump served too. I said that, no, he did not. She brought up his schooling. So she doesn’t know what deferment after deferment means? She hasn’t heard of the bone spurs? She thinks boys in high school (paid for by their fathers) can be at war? Call me Reverend; I attended Lutheran schools.

• Marleen July 12, 2019 / 4:36 pm

This (the McCain insult indulgence) was the basic news, while neither of us was subscribed to the New York Daily News:

……

While McCain was nearly killed serving his country, Trump … got a medal as a [high school] cadet for being neat and orderly [for ’61-’62].

……

Trump topped the GOP field in a new Washington Post-ABC News national poll released Monday, grabbing 24% of likely Republican voters compared with 13% for Scott Walker and 12% for Jeb Bush.

In high school photos obtained by The News, Trump is seen with medals pinned to his uniform and posing as a star athlete on several teams, seemingly a hero in the making.

Ironically… [he] performed so well … with … early morning reveille, daily inspections, drills and taps — he was ranked third among his fellow cadets, a former classmate [said].

Beuttell recalled playing on the football team with Trump and how the future real estate mogul had an elite air, even then.

“He didn’t mingle with the rest of the corps … He lived in a different set of barracks,” Beuttell told The News.

……….

{This is boarding school with military terminology and trappings, not service. Now, I don’t have a lot of concern whether someone was in service or was not in service. However, definitionally — being in and not being in are not the same thing. Pretty simple. Hey — when I was on the “drill” team at my school, I marched mornings and evenings with girls who joined the Army. }

2. JT Twissel July 12, 2019 / 12:35 pm

That’s an interesting idea. People always think I’m a lot more confident than I am.