Fandango’s Provocative Question #31

FPQWelcome once again to Fandango’s Provocative Question. Each week I will pose what I think is a provocative question for your consideration. By provocative, I don’t mean a question that will cause annoyance or anger. Nor do I mean a question intended to arouse sexual desire or interest.

This week’s provocative question is a relatively straightforward one, but one that also requires some heavy-duty introspection.

What do consider to be the highlight of your life so far? Do you think it’s something that you might be able to exceed in the future?

If you choose to participate, write a post with your response to the question. Once you are done, tag your post with #FPQ and create a pingback to this post if you are on WordPress. Or you can simply include a link to your post in the comments.

The issue with pingbacks not showing up seems to have been resolved, but you might check to confirm that your pingback is there. If not, please manually add your link in the comments.

26 thoughts on “Fandango’s Provocative Question #31

1. James Heydenrych July 10, 2019 / 3:08 am

When I had a band and we got our first gig in Glasgow. Honestly, just playing in a band is the best feeling in the world for me. Hopefully I’ll get a band together again in the future.

2. The Haunted Wordsmith July 10, 2019 / 5:15 am

I don’t think I would ever be able to answer this question until I am on my death bed and got to see how everything turned out. Until the very end, life is just a work in progress.

3. pensitivity101 July 10, 2019 / 8:04 am

Has to be my days as a Foster carer. Fifteen kids in four years, and I like to think I helped some of them in some small way. Sadly I have no contact with any of them now, but have a lot of memories.

4. Marleen July 10, 2019 / 11:11 am

I can’t pick one, so I’ll pick a few (and maybe be forgetting something). I don’t think I can exceed them. I won’t even meet them in the sense of being in the same kind of place in life. 1) All my children being in the realm of young adults (or even before that when at least the youngest was out of diapers) at the same time and still living at home, especially when we went to family gatherings or out to eat or on a vacation to the beach… or even if we just played a game. (This also includes a span of time when the kids and I all lived in an apartment. Additionally, there were moments of amazement in each child’s infancy and earlier non-infancy.) 2) My being county Chair of a political party and deciding that a certain veteran who came to us was going to be a candidate for sheriff on our ticket (even though he didn’t match all the talking points usually held dear by our party). 3) Being head of my high school drill team [including but not limited to performing at Bush Stadium]. 4) The logical and ponderous rigor of some classes in high school and beyond, plus art classes throughout. 5) Going to the lake or the beach (by which I mean ocean) with my family when I was a child.* (I liked going to our local pool, usually on my own, but these outings were better yet.) 6) Running a lemonade stand with my closest cousin when she and her sister and mother lived at my house. It was my dad’s idea, but carried out by the two of us. (This was at the side of a golf course for a major tournament. We met famous people, too.) I just now remembered something else with this cousin, when we were old enough to drive. We went to some kind of fair (at Forest Park, maybe an ethnic festival) and rented a little boat there. We ended up in the intro to The Phil Donahue Show every day that his broadcast was said to be from St. Louis.

* On another end of a spectrum, I was awed by a national park with lots of snow and trickling waterfalls; it might’ve been Glacier National Park (which is said to be changed).

I’ve now thought of a different kind of highlight. But I’ll leave it at that.

All of this will be exceeded (for me); I don’t perceive it as being that I will exceed it.

Possible additional hopes for the afterlife: writing poetry for songs and returning to singing harmony (either in small groups or choir form); gardening/geology/landscape architecture (involving making plans and coordinating, including waterways).

Thinking of another highlight (7): Going to school (work) with my dad, who was an art teacher in the city. This would be if I had a day off school in the county. Associated are urban sounds as well as quiet times in the park (including Tower Grove Park) and getting poor boy sandwiches at a particular little mom-n-pop store (I think it was called Ol’ Danny’s). The odors of art media…

I’d like to name teachers who stood out for me — Miss Allen, Mr. Goete, Ms. Hughes. (And more.)

5. JT Twissel July 10, 2019 / 2:32 pm

Probably publishing a book and meeting so many fascinating writers and becoming their friends. Of course the book went nowhere but the friendships are still there.

• Fandango July 10, 2019 / 10:34 pm

“… but the friendships are still there.” That’s what is most important.

6. leigha66 July 12, 2019 / 11:10 am

Easy… raising a wonderful daughter. Can’t see anything ever topping that that I could do!

7. sca11y July 18, 2019 / 1:35 am

Just highlights? or lowlights too? Good things include getting married, buying my house. Career was important to me, to working in another continent was a biggie (London and NYC).
    Biggest low was child-rearing, and I had a stroke a few years ago. Does that count?

• sca11y July 18, 2019 / 10:06 am

I’ve enjoyed finding your blog, I’ve found my way through a couple of your posts today and have it marked so I see your updates. I read your comments somewhere on spelling and grammar. I feel the same, but I’m afraid I might disappoint. Reason: https://www.strokesurvivor.me.uk/2019/07/i-looked-this-morning-at-which-of-my.html. I blog too, but via Blogger, not WordPress. I started it after my stroke, with the specific intention of charting recovery. It is useful for me to look over old posts, how I’m doing over time, but probably not so interesting for somebody else.

• Fandango July 18, 2019 / 11:24 am

I just went and read the post in your link. You certainly have a valid excuse for the occasional typo. I tried commenting on your blog, but it apparently requires some sort of Google account, which I don’t have. And if there is a way to “like” a post on Blogger, I haven’t figured out how to do that. Anyway, thanks for reading my posts and commenting.

• sca11y July 19, 2019 / 1:20 am

Ha, ha, ha, you Apple people! I must admit when I set the blog up I didn’t really pay any attention to the relative merits of the dirrerent engines. I went with Blogger because it is what I knew, Google, I went with them because I already had a Google account by virtue of having an Android phone. Similarly, I had to set up an account when I first commented on a WordPress blog. I’m still figuring WordPress out, although I get email alerts which is the main thing.
            I don’t think Blogger has the concept of “liking” things, which is a pity because it’s a good idea. But when I first created it, I never envisaged anybody else even reading it, let alone liking it 🙂 I guess I’d find similar quirks with WordPress.

• Fandango July 19, 2019 / 6:29 am

Yes, WordPress can be quirky, but I have heard from a number of bloggers who have migrated here from Blogger that they prefer WordPress. But, to each his or her own, right?

• sca11y July 19, 2019 / 6:48 am

From what I’ve seen of WordPress, it seems a bit more community-oriented, i.e. one blog will get you to another, but that could just be me not knowing Blogger well enough.
              As for the nuts and bolts, I can’t really fault it, it does what I require of a platform. A few times, I’ve had to hack around the raw html of a page, but (a) mostly I can use their editor, and (b) it allows me to do that if I really want to.
              I don’t know how the Stats data compares between the two engines, but I get things like page hits/times/region from Google. I used to think Google was a bit screwy but when it says I have hits from Russia, say, I know it can’t have counted me by mistake. (It’d have to be screwy indeed if it did 🙂 ).

• Fandango July 19, 2019 / 7:08 am

I think you’re right about WordPress being more community oriented. I mostly use WordPress’ editor, but I, too, occasionally have to use HTML to fine tune things. As to stats, WordPress posts views, visitors, likes, comments, as well as times, countries, etc. so they seem pretty comparable.