An Intervention

769E7C38-D56E-463E-A146-7C3016329218“Oh jeez, it’s raining again,” Marcie said. “That makes like five rainy days in a row. And yet there you sit in front of your laptop with a big shit-eating grin on your face. How can you be so jolly in this miserable weather that we’ve been having all week?”

“Are you kidding me? Look at my stats, for crissake,” Danny said, turning the screen on his laptop in Marcie’s direction for her to see.”

“Okay,” Marcie said, “What, exactly, are you showing me?”

“It’s an Excel spreadsheet I put together to track my blog’s stats,” Danny explained. “Look at this,” he said with an orgulous smile on his face. “They are going through the roof! My blog is going viral!”

Marcie stared at her husband with a look that could only be described as mocking horror. “Are you serious, Danny?” she said. “I’m going stir crazy because of this incessant rain and you’re going all orgasmic over you freakin’ blog stats?”

“But honey, aren’t you proud of me?” Danny asked. “I’m averaging more than 400 views a day. And look at all these likes and comments.”

“That’s it,” Marcie said. “I’m calling your brother and giving him the activation code.”

“The activation code? What the hell are you talking about?”

“It’s a code that I give to a member of your family telling them to rush over here because it’s time for an intervention. You’ve got a serious addiction, Danny,” Marcie said. “There’s more to life than losing yourself in your blog.”

Written for these daily prompts: Weekly Prompts (rainy days), Word of the Day Challenge (jolly), Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (stats), Ragtag Daily Prompt (orgulous), The Daily Spur (horror), and Your Daily Word Prompt (activation).

12 thoughts on “An Intervention

1. msjadeli July 10, 2019 / 6:20 pm

So very relevant to the blog world and the orphans we call our family members.

2. Sadje July 10, 2019 / 7:46 pm

Are you talking about one of us! We all are addicted!

3. SueW July 10, 2019 / 10:56 pm

Good One!

Sadly, for some people this is all they have. I try not to write more than a couple of times a week, but some weeks I lose that battle, I don’t ever look at the stats, but I sometimes compare the number of likes and attempt to analyse what made one article more worthy than another.

I was an early adopter of Facebook, joining in its infancy, but I came away from it a couple of years ago after realising how addictive it had become to many of my friends and family.

Someone’s evening meal, a drink at the pub, child’s minor graze on the knee, everything has to be announced. I began to wonder if I was as boring as everyone else, and worse still was I also addicted to laying my life bare, so I came away. And now I bore everyone on here instead! 😂

• Fandango July 10, 2019 / 11:03 pm

“And now I bore everyone on here instead!” Oh no. Far from it. I still have a Facebook account, but I never post anything to it. I primarily use it to find out what my adult kids are up to these days.

• SueW July 10, 2019 / 11:12 pm

Thank you so much for your kind comment.
        I still have my Facebook Account, but only ever use it when one or other of my grown up kids tells me to go and look at a couple of photos they’ve posted. That’s rare though, mostly they’ll send via WhatsApp to make sure I see them.

4. leigha66 July 12, 2019 / 3:31 pm