SoCS — More Homophones

Once again, Linda G. Hill has given us a pair of homophones for our Stream of Consciousness Saturday prompt. This time the homophones are “chew” and “choo.”

The first thing that came to my mind was when I was a kid and my mother used to admonish me if I didn’t chew my food 32 times before swallowing it. She would actually count how many chews I had made to make sure I chewed it 32 times. Seriously, have you ever tried to chew each morsel of food you put in your mouth 32 times? That’s nuts. What did she think I was, a cow chewing my cud?8B5A8A64-77D6-4213-B6E5-89BDEDD63B41And what the fuck is “cud,” anyway? Okay, I Googled it and cud is a portion of chewed food that returns from a cow’s stomach to its mouth to be chewed for the second time. Gross. That almost makes me wants to become a vegetarian, for crissake.

Now when it comes to choo, two things came to mind. First, the second part of the sound you make when you sneeze, as in “ah choo!”64FD033F-1D34-4ECF-BAB3-CC5E91A85E79Second, it’s also what many young kids were taught by their parents was the sound a train makes.A0FFC0ED-3FEB-4080-9195-35E47CC85591But then I learned something I didn’t know. My wife informed me that Choo is the last name of a London-based Malaysian fashion designer best known for the Jimmy Choo brand of handmade (and my wife tells me, very expensive) women’s shoes.FEAD0521-C4E3-4456-BBFD-EF5496E6EBD3Who knew?

17 thoughts on “SoCS — More Homophones

1. Paula Light July 6, 2019 / 5:40 am

I knew about Jimmy Choo! But it didn’t occur to me to include them in my SOCS. Interesting that both you and Jim did.

2. Laura July 6, 2019 / 7:38 pm

I’ve heard of Jimmy Choos (though I’ve never seen them in real life because no one I know has that sort of money). They’re pretty but also look pretty painful…

• Fandango July 6, 2019 / 10:12 pm

As a male I can say that wearing any kind of high heeled shoes looks pretty painful to me!

3. Marleen July 6, 2019 / 8:40 pm

An announcer for the St. Louis (and San Francisco) baseball game, tonight, said sneezes are underrated (after he sneezed on air). I’m pretty sure Jimmy Choos are overrated (at least price-wise).

• Fandango July 6, 2019 / 10:13 pm

I live in a world where no one I know wears Jimmy Choo shoes.

4. Marleen July 7, 2019 / 5:19 am

I vaguely feel like Jimmy Choos were important on
    “Sex in the City” — although I’ve seen maybe three episodes.

• Fandango July 7, 2019 / 7:37 am

That’s three more episode than I’ve seen.

• Marleen July 7, 2019 / 9:53 am

I’m counting like half of a movie as one of those “three episodes.” Sometimes, I try and figure out what the “buzz” over something is about (for that show or anything).

• Marleen July 7, 2019 / 10:36 am

I think I’ve seen something like two whole episodes (and half a movie — not one episode and a whole movie).

5. leigha66 July 9, 2019 / 12:26 pm

At least here in the Midwest a popular thing with the “rednecks” is chew…. short for chewing tobacco. I was married to a man who used to chew, it was gross.

• Marleen July 9, 2019 / 2:21 pm

That used to be a baseball thing in general, too. Weird to remember that.

• leigha66 July 9, 2019 / 4:33 pm

Yeah, I remember them making them switch to gum so they were not a bad influence on kids.