Diverticulitis

25DD062B-1032-4D13-AAD2-D8AE9085E707That noise you hear
Is the sound of my groan
As I writhe in pain
Doubled over in agony
That no other malady can match
I am so sick
I just want it to end
My doctor says that antibiotics
Have a role to play
In helping me feel better
I’ve had this before
But if it happens again
Surgery is the answer

Written for these daily prompts: Your Daily Word Prompt (noise), Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (writhe), Word of the Day Challenge (match), Ragtag Daily Prompt (sick), and The Daily Spur (play). Photo credit: Nevada Museum of Fine Art.

24 thoughts on “Diverticulitis

• Fandango July 6, 2019 / 10:50 am

I know. I order sesame chicken without the sesame seeds. And popcorn? Fuhgeddaboudit.

• newepicauthor July 6, 2019 / 12:40 pm

I have a nightmare story about being in the colorectal ward when I got diverticulitis.

1. James Pyles July 6, 2019 / 10:39 am

That sounds pretty horrible. My wife has a certain distrust in the traditional medical system and so is trying to get me to eat better foods (it’s a long story), to prevent the onset of chronic illnesses. Last Saturday, my spinal arthritis kicked in viciously, so much so, that for a little while, I thought I was having a stroke. So I put myself in her hands, and the inflammation subsided within a few days. I know that antibiotics have their place, but they completely destroy the gut microbiome, and a leaky gut is the source of all kinds of problems. Take care.

• Fandango July 6, 2019 / 10:56 am

I don’t like taking antibiotics, which are way overly prescribed. But short of surgery, it’s the only way to relieve the pain, which is, indeed, horrible.

2. Paula Light July 6, 2019 / 12:04 pm

I have had terrible reactions to pine nuts of all things and so have had to give up pesto (so damn sad), but writhing in pain for 3 days as my poor body tries to digest something it perceives as poison is hell.

3. angloswiss July 6, 2019 / 1:49 pm

Mr. Swiss has a shorter digestive tract that most because they had to remove part of it due to diverticulitis. That was about 20 years ago, but it worked. Apparently the part they removed looked like a moon landscape. It can be very painful

• Fandango July 6, 2019 / 3:20 pm

That’s next for me if it happens again. I apparently have numerous pouches down there.

4. Kat July 6, 2019 / 5:20 pm

Oh my, someone close to me has suffered from diverticulitis for years and so much pain and 2 surgeries later, I’m hoping it’s behind us. I know how brutal this can be!

5. leigha66 July 9, 2019 / 1:18 pm

My mom had that and went through two different surgeries to remove parts of her intestines. But she didn’t follow doctors advice and kept eating things she shouldn’t. Hope it doesn’t get to the surgery stage for you.