How is it?

5C7F0704-9D53-4A6F-A0C9-63EBF34BA804How is it that the moron who sits in the Oval Office, who has little to no knowledge of history, of diplomacy, of the Constitution of the United States, or of the Bible, can manage to have the support of 40% of Americans?

How is it that a man who sputters nonsense, is a chronic liar, and who has done nothing for working class Americans, and who jails migrant children, can maintain the support of 85% of Republicans?

How is it that 52% of people who identify as or lean Republican, according to a recent poll, said they would support postponing the 2020 election if it was proposed by Trump?

How is it that he has silenced the “law and order” Republicans in Congress who have historically taken tough positions against Russia and other autocratic dictatorships, including North Korea, and converted these Republicans into enablers and sycophants who fiddle while “Rome” is burning?

Donald Trump is the man who wanted to find out the “oranges” of the Mueller Investigation, instead of its “origins,” who considers himself to be above the law, who jokes about Russia meddling in American elections rather than taking steps to prevent it. He is the man who is rolling back environmental regulations designed to protect our air and water, who is promoting increased energy production via fossil fuels (coal and oil), who is a serial sexual predator, who is a racist, who is a white supremacist, who is a narcissist, who made the  mistake of mixing up America’s global adversaries and global allies, and who is mentally and emotional unqualified to be President of the United States.

So how is it that this toxic, immoral American traitor and obstructor of justice is even being allowed to seek a second term, much less to potentially have a chance to win it?

I can’t understand it.

Written for these daily prompts: The Daily Spur (knowledge), Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (manage), Ragtag Daily Prompt (sputter), Your Daily Word Prompt (origin), and Word of the Day Challenge (mistake).

42 thoughts on “How is it?

1. James Pyles July 1, 2019 / 5:34 pm

Keeping in mind I’m not a Trump fan (nor was I a Hillary fan), I can imagine a lot of scenarios.

Probably those 40% are conservative and at least a significant percentage identify as Christian. They feel threatened that the Democrats and Progressives want to continue to censor them, marginalize then, and devalue them as American citizens. One analysis I read in 2016 said that was part of the likely reasons Clinton lost states, such as in the rust belt, Democrats normally won.

Then there’s identity politics which run along racial/ethnic lines as well as the LGBTQ+ community. Trump supporters likely don’t understand non-traditional variations on personal pronouns, and may well believe a Democratic/Progressive President will force forms of education on their children that they, as parents, object to religiously and in terms of their family values.

Then there’s climate change. Oregon Governor Kate Brown recently tried to push through a bill that would compel all transportation related businesses such as long-haul trucking businesses, to get rid of their current inventory of trucks and replace them with a specified and lesser carbon footprint. Oregon is highly liberal in the west but very rural and conservative in the east, so the GOP members of the state congress walked out, not only of the state capitol, but the entire state. They had to because Governor Brown ordered the state police to arrest them and force them back. Eventually, she relented, the bill was killed, and the GOP congressmen returns. Now she’s saying she’ll use her executive powers to override congress and push through the bill singlehandedly. To many conservatives, that’s pretty draconian. Assuming her motives are honest, she’d still put thousands out of work since small businesses can’t afford to swap out their entire inventory at a great financial loss to satisfy the Governor’s politics.

There are many other reasons, but they are reasons. People feel their rights are threatened by Democrats/Progressives, and yes, I know people feel their rights are threatened under Trump. I know the counter argument is that all Trump supporters are racist, but at least some of then don’t want to see capitalism give way to some form of socialism, which again, makes even non-racist, educated, people feel threatened.

The world isn’t just one way. There isn’t just right (liberals) or wrong (conservatives). Like it or not, people who live in rural America have rights as citizens and human beings as well. Until we get a President who can see both sides of the coin (Obama didn’t and Clinton wouldn’t have) and work with urban, suburban, and rural populations, people are still going to artificially polarize the nation and we’re sunk. The same for a national Senate that can’t work together either.

Now, having said all of that, I’ll also state again that I am not a Trump supporter. However, I’m not exclusively devoted to a single point of view, and I’m willing to listen to people who are different from me, even if we end up disagreeing.

• Marleen July 1, 2019 / 8:31 pm

I agree with you that Hillary probably couldn’t and wouldn’t have seen “both sides” whatever that is — even though she was way corporate as Republicans want (the real goal of McConnell hijacking a Supreme Court seat — and he had to maintain appearances for his party, for his party, not the people). I think Obama did see both sides and tried very hard to work that way.

• Fandango July 1, 2019 / 9:48 pm

I think that the kinds of fears about what Democrats, liberals, and progressives will do to those who are not urban east and west coasters is fear mongering propaganda being effectively pushed out by the far right. In the meantime, our air and water are being polluted, climate change continues to be denied, and our enemies are our friends and our friends are now our enemies. The US government is committing unconscionable acts against migrants, including children, at our southern border. Trump continues to obstruct justice, break laws, lie to the public, and undermine virtually all American institutions. As I said, I just don’t understand it. How any thinking person, even relatively moderate conservatives, can still support Trump?

• Marleen July 1, 2019 / 11:31 pm

Reason enough to vote this horrible man out. And even if it’s enough, there’s so much more. Also, the flyover talking point is a repurposing after “W” made the concept prominent. It was so indelible that Republican operatives had to go work on it.

……….

On the way back [to Washington from 29 days of ranch vacation], he had Air Force One fly over part of the devastated area [to glimps] the wreckage from the plane. White House officials allowed news photographers to take photos of a grim-faced Bush looking out … Air Force One … but the PR gambit backfired. Many Americans saw the photo, which was widely disseminated, as evidence that Bush was too distant from the misery below. In a 2010 interview with NBC, Bush conceded that allowing the photo to be taken was a “huge mistake” because it made him seem “detached and uncaring.”

……….

• James Pyles July 2, 2019 / 5:07 am

You asked why some people support Trump and I floated a few ideas. I’m not here to defend Trump, Clinton, Obama, or any other politician, because they call come with baggage. As far as conservative fears, I’d suggest that at least a few (or more than a few) progressives fuel that all by themselves, especially extremists like Bernie Sanders and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.

• Fandango July 2, 2019 / 6:41 am

I’m not a fan of Sanders, but while his ideas are progressive, the way they are being portrayed by those on the right is what is extreme. And the Green New Deal is a concept and a goal. But the right claims that it means the left wants to take away “your” hamburgers, airplanes, cars, kill all the cows, etc, etc. Come on, James. I’m not saying that liberals/progressives have all the good ideas and nothing but good ideas, but those on the right seem perfectly willing to stick their heads in the sand and pretend like none of the issues the Democrats are raising exist, and therefore there’s no need to do anything different than what we’re doing today, no need to take any actions at all, whether it’s climate change, healthcare, immigration, income inequality, or getting that imbecile out of the White House.

2. Willowsoul July 1, 2019 / 6:53 pm

Watching your political mind field is like watching a bad reality TV show……
    although I’m not sure it’s much better here in Australia

• Fandango July 1, 2019 / 9:54 pm

I wish it was a reality show, rather than actual reality. I think the whole world is trending toward mass insanity.

3. XingfuMama July 1, 2019 / 7:20 pm

I think that at least some of the polls are of questionable value and accuracy. They tend to call the same set of people (the only ones who will take the time to answer their interminable and, if anything like the one time I said yes, stupidly worded questions that have forced sets of answers). Also they are taking to self identified Republicans and there are actually fewer of them than there used to be, so they are getting a more extreme set of people.
    One time I bothered to answer one of these surveys for local issues and they keep calling back. With variations on the same stupid questions. I finally cut them off in the middle. I try to be polite, but enough was enough.

• Lolsy's Library July 1, 2019 / 7:36 pm

I heard that one poll was done via landlines. I actually have a landline, but I never answer. We still have it for spam callers. The only people I know that have landlines and use them, tend to be…Well…people who don’t get out too much.Maybe a little elderly. I don’t want to be ageist, but it’s the truth.

• Fandango July 1, 2019 / 10:01 pm

I’m a “little elderly” and I haven’t had a landline since 2010! 😏

• XingfuMama July 2, 2019 / 7:39 am

That might explain why the polls show little change. I sure hope young people get informed and vote in droves. That could change things.

• Fandango July 1, 2019 / 9:59 pm

You make a good point, but a number of polls came up with similar results. For example, there were seven different recent polls asking Republicans about support for Trump and the range of responses of those who said they support him ranged from 82 to 87%. That’s a pretty tight array.

• Fandango July 1, 2019 / 10:09 pm

I’ve heard too many Democrats say that if their favorite candidate doesn’t win the nomination, they’re not going to vote, like many Bernie supporters didn’t in 2016. And speaking about Bernie, he’s said he’s not necessarily going to drop out and support the Democratic nominee if he doesn’t get it. He might consider running as an independent in the general election. These kinds of attitudes will hand Trump another four (or more) years in the White House.

• Marleen July 1, 2019 / 11:15 pm

I would like to know if he really said that or if someone accused him of it. I saw him asked, and he simply didn’t want to concede right now. Same thing happened with Julian (Castro) and others. More Bernie fans voted for Hillary than Hillary fans voted for Barack in 2008. There are Democrats who would rather have Trump than the real progressive Democrats. Donny Deutch (who now has a new show) was saying he would — when Joe Scarborough jumped in and said, “You don’t mean that” and went on and on convincing him not to say it and to save his career instead (or maybe the country).

• Marleen July 2, 2019 / 12:27 am

I found the video; Deutch didn’t say those words, but the same point.

Declines Capitalist Label
          Morning Joe | MSNBC

• Fandango July 2, 2019 / 6:13 am

“I would like to know if he really said that or if someone accused him of it.” I don’t know for sure, but if he refuses to concede, that is a divisive act.

• Marleen July 2, 2019 / 6:57 am

Bernie Sanders Interview with Cenk Uygur of The Young Turks

4. newepicauthor July 2, 2019 / 6:38 am

Some of the ideas that the Democrats are floating around seem crazy to me, but I am sick of Trump and all the hatred that he has brought with him. Paying off everyone’s student loans, giving everyone free health care was never done for me and I don’t see why others should be getting this now. I want someone who can beat Trump without making our country too radical.

• Fandango July 2, 2019 / 6:47 am

They were nicer done for me, either, but why should students be hobbled by debt in order to get an education, and why isn’t adequate healthcare a right for every American, rather than just those who can afford it? Especially if programs like those can be paid for by making the ultra wealthy and big corporations pay more of their extraordinary wealth in taxes?

• newepicauthor July 2, 2019 / 7:00 am

These ideas sound good and the candidates that promote them will get a lot of votes. I can’t answer your question of why, but politics is a give and take situation and you can’t always be giving. As long as they don’t take away anything from me, I guess it doesn’t matter. If the student debt was reduced and not totally eliminated I would be fine with that. If some health care benefits were issued to those who can not afford this that would be good also. If these ideas could be phased in over a period of time, then they would not seem so radicle to me.

5. James Pyles July 3, 2019 / 6:06 am

Read this quote in a news story this morning and thought of you:

“When asked to identify their preferred candidate, without being prompted with a list of names, Biden is cited by 21 percent of Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents, a gain of eight points since late April. Sanders runs second at 13 percent, up four points since April. Harris and Sen. Elizabeth Warren (Mass.) are tied at 7 percent, both up three points.”

• Marleen July 3, 2019 / 7:47 am

I would like those two ladies on a ticket, in which ever order pans out. I’m not sure Americans could take it, though. Somehow, other countries are more open to female leaders.

• Fandango July 3, 2019 / 8:01 am

There was an episode on Jimmy Kimmel recently where they went out on the street, showed people pictures of Democratic candidates and asked them to name them. Most couldn’t, even pictures of Biden and Sanders. We’re doomed!

• Marleen July 3, 2019 / 8:40 am

Did they even seem to recognize Biden and Bernie’s faces, like they knew they’d seen them before (even if they didn’t know their names)?

• Fandango July 3, 2019 / 9:07 am

Who knows. Think half of Americans are living in an impenetrable fog.

• Marleen July 3, 2019 / 9:18 am

It is disorienting to know half of the people are completely clueless (on such subjects anyway), and half of the rest don’t see anything wrong (to put it mildly) with DJT.

• Fandango July 3, 2019 / 9:20 am

It’s disoriented and discouraging.

• Marleen July 3, 2019 / 9:38 am

That picture at the top is so creepy and so fitting.

6. Marleen July 3, 2019 / 9:25 am

I like this idea, too: Harris for President, Bernie for Vice President, Warren for Treasury.

• Fandango July 3, 2019 / 11:00 am

How about Warren for President, Castro or Buttigieg for VP, and Harris for Attorney General?

• Marleen July 3, 2019 / 1:20 pm

Yes; Harris for Attorney General is a good idea, too. For VP, I think we might need to give up on Buttigieg… no matter how smart he is. I could be wrong. Anyway, he can serve in another capacity. Castro is stepping up his game.