Nature Versus Nurture

b335d9b3-e4b1-4463-a640-0fc2993fc86e.jpeg“I don’t understand,” Hal said to his wife. “We have two boys, two years apart, both raised in the same household, both exposed to the same things, and the two couldn’t be more different. What are we doing wrong?”

“I’m holding on to the hope that we’re not doing anything wrong,” Judy said. “I just think they have different natures.”

“That’s an understatement,” Hal said. “Richard is downright vulgar, whereas Robert is extremely bashful.” It’s hard to believe they are actually related to each other.”

“I know,” Judy said. “And where Richard is irreverent, Robert always shows great finesse.”

“Well, I just don’t get it,” Hal lamented. “They’re both our sons, so they should be like peas in a pod, not like they are from different species.”

Judy sighed, got a quizzical look on her face, and said, “Hal, do you think it’s possible that one of our boys is adopted?”

“Well, that would certainly address the issue of nature versus nurture,” Hal said.

Written for these daily prompts: The Daily Spur (holding), Word of the Day Challenge (vulgar), Your Daily Word Prompt (bashful), Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (irreverent), and Ragtag Daily Prompt (finesse).

17 thoughts on “Nature Versus Nurture

1. Sadje June 25, 2019 / 3:03 pm

Ha ha! It reminds me of this lady who was suing her her husband for infidelity because none of the kids looked like her! 😂🤪

• Sadje June 25, 2019 / 3:18 pm

Nopes, it’s a joke. But the line of thinking is the same as Fandango’s post!😂

• Marleen June 25, 2019 / 3:50 pm

Whew. Actually, even though someone (a stupid person) could’ve “thought” of doing such a thing in real life, a lawyer might be officially admonished for taking such a case.

2. Marilyn Armstrong June 25, 2019 / 5:55 pm

No, actually it wouldn’t. I have a brother and a sister and no two of us are ANYTHING alike, even though we physically resemble each other. Well, we did except my brother died and my sister disappeared into a drugged life. There are a lot of variations on DNA. What is more, your parents aren’t the same people when they raise each member of the family.

• Marleen July 2, 2019 / 9:45 am

On my gosh. I made sure my husband stayed with our baby at the hospital the WHOLE time if he had to be taken away from me. I forgot about that.

• leigha66 July 2, 2019 / 11:43 am

I think they have a lot more rules in place now so that doesn’t happen… you never know though.

3. Beutiflee July 4, 2019 / 9:50 am

😆 my sister use to say that to me all the time, that I was adopted. 🤔 it use to hurt my feelings, but now I know I was adopted by God, so I’m content. ☺️