I’m Losing My Mind

1C30BF85-CD42-44CF-ACBA-EFB9F666FB4BAt least that’s what my wife keeps telling me. For instance, last night I asked her a question. She got a strange look on her face and said, “You just asked me that.”

“I did? Did you answer me?”

“Yes, I did.”

“What did you say?”

“I already answered your question,” she said. “Either you didn’t listen when I answered, in which case why did you ask if you had no interest in my answer, or, if you can’t even remember asking me, you probably won’t be able to remember the answer even if I say it again.”

Hmm, she has a point. And then there was the other day when we were walking our dog and I said something to her and she said, “You just said that.”

“Really?” I said. “I thought I just thought it, but didn’t actually say it.” It seems that I often can’t recall if I actually said something or I only just thought it.

And then there are the times that my wife and I might be sitting and watching TV and she’ll ask me to get something for her, say a glass of water. I’ll walk into the kitchen, feed the cat, and then walk back to where my wife is sitting and sit down. She’ll look at me and ask, “Where’s my water?”

“Oh, right,” I say and get up to get her a glass.1450B989-2045-491C-895C-18E1347DE23B“Never mind,” she says. “I’ll get up and get it myself.”

And then she adds, “You really are losing your mind.”

23 thoughts on “I’m Losing My Mind

• pensitivity101 June 25, 2019 / 12:14 pm

Had it on the boat…… walk from one end to the other and forgot why in less than thirty five feet.

1. msjadeli June 25, 2019 / 11:07 am

About whether you said it or thought it: it’s one of the side effects of living in your head. The lines between them blur at times. About forgetting the water…. you’re losing your mind.

• Irene June 25, 2019 / 1:12 pm

hahaha! I often go to the basement to do something specific, start something else and go back upstairs to find whatever unfinished project that needed, ah yes, that thing from the basement … back down I go, to find the second thing I started, so I finish it, then remember to bring something upstairs, not always the first thing I needed, then … wait, what was I saying?

At least it adds to my step count (if I remember to carry my phone around, that is.)

2. Sadje June 25, 2019 / 11:08 am

Oops! Keep a tight control over it. It might wander somewhere and then where will you be! 😂😜

3. cagedunn June 25, 2019 / 1:49 pm

Hmmm, admission time … there are moments when the brain stops and says, ‘are you sure this is real, or is it part of a story?’
    buggered if I know, I just go along and pretend like everything’s hunky-dory.
    I wonder if it’s me saying this? *shrug*

4. Paula Light June 25, 2019 / 1:54 pm

I’ve always had this… it’s a writer’s thing, or so I tell myself. Living inside my head, inside my stories, in a semi dreamscape instead of reality. Reality bites! It’s why I don’t like to have on background music and tv like many ppl do… interferes with the conversations in my head. Stop interrupting me when I’m talking to myself!

5. ArtisanX June 25, 2019 / 2:20 pm

Yup, I have no idea where mine went or where it goes. It’s like a teenager.

6. Richmond Road June 25, 2019 / 2:22 pm

Just stand your ground. Insist that SHE is the one losing her mind. Next time she asks you a question your immediate response should be, “Are you crazy? That’s the fifth time you’ve asked me that today. And where’s my water?”

• Fandango June 25, 2019 / 2:26 pm

Ah, the old gaslight trick. Excellent suggestion! 😏

• Richmond Road June 25, 2019 / 3:35 pm

Lets face it …. either you really are losing your mind or she is trying to convince you that you are. Whatever the case you’ll end up crazy, so you might as well drag her down with you.

7. Christine Bolton June 26, 2019 / 1:10 pm

Are you related to my husband??? 🤣 Asked, answered, forgotten, never happened! Sound familiar?

8. leigha66 July 2, 2019 / 9:20 am

I know this conversation… my boyfriend often forgets conversations we had, but I am the one who will wander into a room and then forget why I was there. The aging mind has a will, or lack there of, of its own!