Fandango’s Provocative Question #28

FPQWelcome once again to Fandango’s Provocative Question. Each week I will pose what I think is a provocative question for your consideration. By provocative, I don’t mean a question that will cause annoyance or anger. Nor do I mean a question intended to arouse sexual desire or interest.

This week’s provocative question is one that nags at me. And yes, it’s political and I’m really hoping someone — anyone — can enlighten me. So here we go.

Members of Donald Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign, including his son and son-in-law, met numerous times with influential Russians. The Trump campaign encouraged and welcomed Russian involvement (and interference) in the election. 34 people and three entities associated with the Trump campaign have been indicted on nearly 200 separate criminal charges. Five associates of Trump have been convicted, and another, Roger Stone, is awaiting trial. Trump’s former campaign manager and Trump’s former personal attorney and fixer are in jail for lying to Congress and for various financial crimes.

Further, the Mueller Report documented at least ten instances where Trump committed obstruction of justice, including the firing of former FBI Director Jim Comey. And now Trump has instructed his current and former White House staff to defy congressional subpoenas.

And as icing on the cake, Trump has lied to the American people almost 11,000 times since taking office 2½ years ago.

So here’s my question:

“Do you believe that Donald Trump is an effective American president who should remain in office despite having accepted aid from a foreign adversary (Russia) and having committed obstruction of justice into the investigation of Russian interference in the 2016 Presidential elections? Do you believe that Trump should or should not be impeached for his actions? Why?”

If you choose to participate, write a post with your response to the question. Once you are done, tag your post with #FPQ and create a pingback to this post if you are on WordPress. Or you can simply include a link to your post in the comments.

And most important, have fun.

The issue with pingbacks not showing up seems to have been resolved, but you might check to confirm that your pingback is there. If not, please manually add your link in the comments.

17 thoughts on “Fandango’s Provocative Question #28

1. Copy Chick June 19, 2019 / 7:42 am

Oh, where to start. . . An effective president? Depending on what the general assessment should be of a president and in my mind, divisive, arsonist/firefighter, antagonist on the world stage who has diminished our role among the world powers, ignorant, using the office as a money maker for him and his corporate cronies – my answer would be a resounding no. His refusal to admit Russian interference has left us in a dangerous place for our upcoming elections, if not a dangerous situation in general, if not laughable as leader of the free world. As to whether I believe he should be impeached, my answer would be yes, without question, however, I also agree with Nancy Pelosi that, UNLIKE Trump who blows things up and then becomes the savior afterwards, everything should be done in a measured way. No matter what the Congress ultimately decides regarding impeachment, it most likely will not be bi-partisan and will certainly be DOA in the Senate, thanks to the Grim Reaper, who should be regarded nearly as culpable and dangerous and POTUS.

• Fandango June 19, 2019 / 8:20 am

I am in 100% agreement with everything you said.

2. rugby843 June 19, 2019 / 8:15 am

I don’t know if impeachment with his bevy of lawyers and influence, money, etc would work and then he would play it up, like the three year old he is, as in poor me, receiving sympathy and possibly more people on his side. It’s a slippery slope and I don’t know that much about it. His saying he wants them to try is intimidating, probably a bluff, but I think Pelosi has the right idea. It seems more republicans are coming out against him, maybe pressure works better than the actual act of impeachment. I do know we are now hated in parts of the world where we used to be friends and enemies now liking us, or him…scary.

• Fandango June 19, 2019 / 8:22 am

I am worried that he’s going to win again in 2020 and then we’re doomed. Or that even if he loses, he’s not going to give up the White House easily.

• rugby843 June 19, 2019 / 9:07 am

Like a cartoon….actually the entire thing is a not funny cartoon

• Matt Valentine July 23, 2019 / 3:48 am

nah– i trust his instincts and his ability to effectively execute any order –he loves his country and he will do all he can to protect its people — thats me and you — sit back and let him be a leader —

• Fandango July 23, 2019 / 8:53 am

He loves his country as it was a century ago and the only thing he can lead us to is the fall of the American democracy.

3. XingfuMama June 19, 2019 / 8:18 am

I think that we need to stop talking about him, especially using his name. It validates the situation and gives him, and “his base” energy. Use general terms and make issues the topic.

4. Marilyn Armstrong June 19, 2019 / 8:03 pm

For me, at least, this isn’t a provocative question. I doubt it’s particularly provocative for any of us. I’ve blathered on about Trump enough to feel that saying more is redundant. Now, I’m working on finding something worthwhile to say about the potential nominees.

5. Marilyn Armstrong June 19, 2019 / 8:04 pm

As far as impeachment goes, even if he WAS impeached, he would be tried and he wouldn’t necessarily cease being president. Let’s defeat the bastard and THEN go after him!

• Fandango June 19, 2019 / 10:04 pm

I agree. Let’s defeat the bastard. But can we?

6. Marleen June 19, 2019 / 11:27 pm

I think he’s a placeholder with consequences. One potential example: