WTF Blogger?

87F16EF0-7E93-4291-B36F-5BCED8510096I periodically receive comments on my posts from Blogger bloggers. And when I read their posts on Blogger, I would occasionally like to be able to “like” their posts, to post a comment, or even to follow their blogs. But I don’t know how!

I don’t see (or can’t find) anything that looks like a “like” button on Blogger. Neither can I find a way to indicate that I want to follow a Blogger blogger. And I can’t even figure out how to leave a comment on a Blogger’s posts.

When I attempt to comment on a Blogger’s post, I’m presented with this:9AA1F39D-9EA3-4449-A02A-01631625C9E5I can type in my comment, but since I don’t have a Google account for my blog, I have to, as shown above, select a “profile” by either entering my name and URL, or to post the comment anonymously. And so I select “Name/URL.”

That brings up this screen:F32A08F4-1572-48E1-8776-2447460C39E9I dutifully type in my name (Fandango) in the first field and my blog’s URL (fivedotoh.com) in the second field. But when I go to publish the comment, the comment disappears and nothing happens. Nada! Zippo! Where did my comment go?

So can anyone who is familiar with how Blogger works please explain to me, a WordPress blogger, how to “like,” follow, and/or comment on Blogger’s blog posts.

There’s got to be a way, right?

66 thoughts on “WTF Blogger?

1. Paula Light June 13, 2019 / 6:53 pm

You comment on a blogger blog with a gmail account. That’s how I’ve always done it anyway. Not sure if there are like buttons.

• Fandango June 13, 2019 / 6:56 pm

But what if I don’t have a gmail account that I use for blog purposes? I don’t want to have to set up a gmail account solely for the purpose of commenting on a Blogger’s post. That’s crazy.

• Paula Light June 13, 2019 / 6:57 pm

I don’t know. If the blogger doesn’t allow anonymous commenting, then you may be out of luck. This is one of the reasons I switched to WP. Blogger is a pain!

• Fandango June 13, 2019 / 7:15 pm

It may allow anonymous commenting, but if I’m going to take the time to leave a comment, I wasn’t to to be attributed to me.

• Don June 13, 2019 / 9:35 pm

There are no like buttons. Took me a while to get used to wp having them.

• Fandango June 13, 2019 / 10:49 pm

So how does one let a Blogger blogger know that they read and liked a post without having to post a comment?

• Don June 13, 2019 / 10:53 pm

Back in my Blogger days I disliked that people could just like a post without saying anything. Seemed kinda passive to me. I’ve gotten used to merely liking posts but it took a while.

• Fandango June 13, 2019 / 11:01 pm

Sometimes I read and enjoy a post, but have nothing unique to say, so a Like button is easier than writing a comment that says “I liked your post.” Also, I’ll read other’s comments on a post and if what I would have said in a comment has already been said by someone else, I don’t like to pile on, so I’ll just hit the Like button.

• DB McNicol June 14, 2019 / 2:49 pm

I added a like button via LikeBtn.com but it’s a counter, no way to know who liked the post.

2. Marilyn Armstrong June 13, 2019 / 7:13 pm

I never figured out any of those things either and HAVE a blogger blog which I don’t use because you can’t really communicate on it. No matter how bad WP gets, it’s still better than blogger.

3. popsiclesociety June 13, 2019 / 7:15 pm

Oh this happens to me also in WP…:( WP to WP…:( I really have no idea but definitely there is a way, at least I hope so 🙂

4. rugby843 June 13, 2019 / 8:46 pm

I don’t think it’s just blogger.  I have to sign in to WP every time I leave a comment on your site and some others unless I reply by email.  My whole password crap is driving me nuts!  It’s like at certain times of the year usual passwords don’t work.  I had to change the one on the Medicare site and now they won’t recognize me.  My sister had the same problem, finally used whenpigsfly.  I got locked out of my brand new iPad the day I received it.  Spent four different sessions trying to chat with support online with Apple and they never came on and then just disappeared.  Can you tell I’m about to lose it?  Or maybe I have lost it and don’t know it…..🙄😫

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

• Fandango June 13, 2019 / 10:40 pm

Are you using the WordPress app or are you accessing WordPress.com through your browser? I usually don’t have issues posting comments when I’m in the app for iOS on my iPhone, but if I use the browser to post a comment, I will occasionally have to enter my credentials. Have you asked the “happiness engineers” at WordPress to look into this issue?

• rugby843 June 13, 2019 / 11:27 pm

Yes, more than twice. I have a WP app on my android phone that works well, but my iPad is now locked. I get posts in my email and can use he reader on the phone. I’m calling Apple early tomortow to see if I can get help. I put a fingerprint lock so I wouldn’t have to mess with passwords. I guess somehow I mispelled something, etc since anything I would have used as an additional code just shuts it down again. I’ve searched help everywhere. Apple online says to connect into a computer or device that has iTunes. That didn’t work either. There is an Apple dealer here so I’m going to stop by and beg for help : )))

• Fandango June 13, 2019 / 10:42 pm

I don’t know why they make it such a hassle on Blogger to post comments. But since Blogger is now part of Google, I guess they want everyone to have a Google account.

5. Don June 13, 2019 / 9:35 pm

Easiest to just have a Gmail account and leave yourself always logged in. There’s nothing crazy about having a Gmail account whose only use is to enable Blogger commenting.

• Fandango June 13, 2019 / 10:47 pm

I already have a gmail account for my real-world email. But I have an outlook email account for my blog. Because I blog anonymously, I want to keep my real-world and my cyber-world emails separate (on different email platforms). But I still don’t get why I can’t post a comment to a Blogger post by entering my name and URL. Why even have that as an option if it doesn’t work?

• Don June 13, 2019 / 10:51 pm

That is a mystery.

Maybe I’m crazy. I have several Gmail accounts.

But I only use one with any frequency, and my real name isn’t particularly obscured.

• Fandango June 13, 2019 / 10:55 pm

You’re not crazy for having several gmail accounts. I just like to have a bit of separation and would rather have a gmail account for my real life and a different email platform for my blog life. Maybe it’s me who is crazy.

• DB McNicol June 14, 2019 / 2:51 pm

Many of us worry they will stop supporting Blogger as they have Google Reader, Google+, and other things they used to have.

6. PCGuyIV June 13, 2019 / 10:35 pm

All of the frustrations you describe are why I migrated many moons ago to WordPress.

• Fandango June 13, 2019 / 10:51 pm

It’s strange that a social media platform line Blogger would not have features on place that would promote easier interaction between bloggers.

• PCGuyIV June 13, 2019 / 10:54 pm

Technically, they do, but they want everyone to use only Google-powered products, which means Gmail & Blogger.

• DB McNicol June 14, 2019 / 2:53 pm

I am currently duplicating my flash fiction posts on a new WordPress.com blog from my Blogger account. Not sure how long I will keep Blogger since my audience has really shrunk, but I can’t afford to import it since it goes back to 2012 with lots of photos, etc. and I don’t want to pay for a WP site. Sigh…

• Fandango June 14, 2019 / 5:41 pm

I have the Personal Plan on WordPress. It cost me $48/year, but I think they recently raised it to $60 and introduced a “Basic” plan for $36/year. They still offer a free plan, but it has ads limited storage for images.

• DB McNicol June 15, 2019 / 9:26 am

I will probably stick with Blogger for my personal blog – I have over 1750 posts there, lots of history. But will be moving my author blog and probaby my website over to WP.

• The Diary of a Country Bumpkin June 15, 2019 / 10:36 am

Do you get a good response on your Blogger site, when I started the Blogger site I used to get people commenting so I knew people were seeing it but now I get nothing. I find it very frustrating trying to write something reasonably amusing and yet no-one sees it which is why I’m thinking of just using the WordPress site.

• DB McNicol June 15, 2019 / 11:01 am

It varies. I started it in 2006 when blogging was somewhat new. Over the years it has been many things and I’ve merged 3-4 other smaller blogs into it (so there are some broken photo links in old posts). I still get readers but few commenters. Not sure why, some comment on Facebook when the link is posted there. I think FB has created a major shift in readers for us with personal blogs. https://ourprimeyears.blogspot.com if you want to take a look.

7. Christine Bolton June 14, 2019 / 5:02 am

I think your comment ran off with my like button that goes missing every time I try to ‘Like” something you’ve written! This happens when I use my iphone!!!! 😔
    I do agree I find commenting on Blogger a nuisance. It’s hard to navigate and I feel bad that I can’t respond to something I particularly enjoy. You are not alone my friend.

• Fandango June 14, 2019 / 6:35 am

Hmm. That’s weird about the “Like” button missing on your iPhone. I use my iPhone for reading, writing, and commenting on posts, and haven’t had that issue on WordPress posts. Not yet, anyway. 😏

• Christine Bolton June 14, 2019 / 7:19 am

When I go to your site the like button is there, but when I press it nothing happens. When I go to leave a comment I’m continually asked to login again to WordPress even though I’m using the app. It never saves my login information when I’m at your site. It’s a little odd I know but what the heck, you’re worth it! 🤣

• Fandango June 14, 2019 / 8:56 am

That’s really strange. It’s not just for my posts, is it?

• Fandango June 14, 2019 / 8:54 am

Is it only on my blog that you have to do that or does that happen with others as well? That is weird.

• Christine Bolton June 14, 2019 / 12:20 pm

It seems to only be yours. I also have been told the same thing too by someone who tried to Like something of mine.

• Fandango June 14, 2019 / 12:22 pm

Hmm. Maybe I should ask the “hapless” engineers about that.

• Christine Bolton June 14, 2019 / 6:04 pm

I think it might be an App thing. I have no problem when I use my MacBook, only iPad or iPhone. BTW I have completely given up on pingbacks. They do not work for me and I’ve reached out to WP and they are supposedly working on it in an update 😏

• Fandango June 14, 2019 / 6:34 pm

“they are supposedly working on it in an update” Don’t hold your breath.

8. newepicauthor June 14, 2019 / 7:15 am

Certain things are too different to coexist and that is why people say, “Never the twain shall meet.”

• Fandango June 14, 2019 / 8:14 am

I think Blogger and WordPress can coexist, but why does it have to be so difficult to interact between the two?

9. The Diary of a Country Bumpkin June 14, 2019 / 7:30 am

I have a Blogger site https://www.joewellsofwhomithasbeensaid.com/ and have exactly the same problem from the other direction. Unlike WordPress when I post on Blogger I might as well be talking to the wall, although under each post there is a opportunity to post if you click on the word “comments” which as you point out requires logging in to Google, I think! The Blogger site is nowhere as user friendly, and I’m getting to the point of giving up using it. Just as an experiment could I ask anyone who reads this to go to my site and try to comment and I will try to respond, there ought to be a way connect between WordPress and Blogger, I can’t be the only Blogger user who is asking the question Is there anybody out there? https://www.joewellsofwhomithasbeensaid.com/2019/05/is-there-anybody-out-there.html

• Marleen June 14, 2019 / 9:43 am

My choices appear only to be: posting anonymously, commenting “as” my email address, or entering my name and URL (while I don’t have a URL and Fandango has said it didn’t work for him even when he did enter his, so I’m not sure it would matter).

• Fandango June 14, 2019 / 3:14 pm

I just went to your “Is There Anybody Out There” and tried to post a comment using the “Name/URL” and nothing posted. What am I doing wrong?

• The Diary of a Country Bumpkin June 15, 2019 / 7:36 am

I wish I knew the answer to that, I get plenty of comments etc on WordPress but the Blogger site is useless and yet years ago I did get comments. Obviously something has changed but I’m dammed if I know what it is. I was hoping with my “Is There Anybody Out There” post some clever soul would come up with the answer!!

• Marleen June 14, 2019 / 3:37 pm

I realized the one option is name/URL — so I tested to see if only a name would work. It did. I don’t see myself as logged into anything. I could be wrong about that.

10. pensitivity101 June 14, 2019 / 10:53 am

Definitely a posing question. I’ve read some posts on other platforms and can’t comment or like without jumping through hoops. Pity really as there’s some good stuff out there

11. Tessa June 14, 2019 / 10:40 pm

There definitely is no like button, commenting is ridiculous as you all have found out. I started on blogger, but when I found Word Press, I dumped blogger. I hate to go to blogger blogs because I know the only thing I can do is make a comment on whether I have one or not. I usually read and leave. Sorry those who still have a blogger blog.

12. DB McNicol June 15, 2019 / 11:13 am

Okay, since there is a wealth of WP knowledge here, I have a couple of questions. I am seriously considering moving my entire author website over to a new host (along with two other domains I have).

How/where are you hosting? I am looking at BlueHost.com

For those with a website in addition to a blog, do you just use pages in WP for the rest of your site and change your main page to a static one? If so, any tips on doing this? I’m an old school HTMLer and code all my pages (well, using a WYSIWYG, then cleaning up the code now).

Any tips/hints/suggestions? Feel free to email me @ donnamcnicol via gmail.

• Fandango June 15, 2019 / 11:51 am

I simply use the WordPress.com site as my host platform. I have the Personal plan, for which I pay $48/yr. to have a “.com” domain instead of a “wordpress.com” domain.

• DB McNicol June 15, 2019 / 12:08 pm

I have several domains for my author website, our personal website, a fun website (inthefirstwave.com). LOL! Many pages of stuff. I love building websites but I think it’s a dying art. I need to learn more about WP. Oh, and BlueHost will be $190 for 3 years under the current special. So for about $63 a year I can have all the above domains and more if needed.

13. Carol Anne June 19, 2019 / 1:34 pm

Blogger is shit! Its a nightmare to post comments on there! There is a way to follow blogs, but you have to go in to the management settings of wordpress and enter in the URLs manually. As for commenting not sure how to fix that!