In Other Words — Contentment

CE8AE2FE-D786-4BEB-8A11-A4A5E6454F69You ask me if I’m happy in our relationship and I answer that I’m not particularly happy.

You ask me if I’m unhappy in our relationship and I answer that I’m not particularly unhappy.

You want to know, if I’m not happy and I’m not unhappy, what, then, am I?

I tell you that I’m content.

You smile and tell me that you’re content, too.

In other wordsWritten for the In Other Words prompt from Patricia’s Place. The challenge this week is to write a story or poem of five lines or fewer using the picture above and/or the word “unhappy.” Today I used only the word, not the picture Patricia provided. I substituted another image I found on the internet (credit: iStock/Monsterstock1) that I felt better illustrated my story.

10 thoughts on “In Other Words — Contentment

1. Don May 22, 2019 / 9:47 am

When I was reading about Hunter Thompson’s death (he shot himself), it came up that he had said “Contentment is not enough,” somehow in relation to Hemingway (who also shot himself). I don’t know which one or who else owns the credit for that phrase but it resonates with me, even while my life looks like nothing so much as a desperate quest for contentment.

• Fandango May 22, 2019 / 11:45 am

I guess, for the couple in my story, contentment is enough. Now let’s hope they don’t both shoot themselves tomorrow.

• Marleen May 22, 2019 / 12:38 pm

I had to look up Hunter Thompson. I would think a life of fiction is not enough.

2. JT Twissel May 22, 2019 / 4:20 pm

Unhappy is an out of balance word. A relationship can be comfortable and not happy. Happens to many older couples – you have to find happiness in work or art or sport.

3. Marleen May 22, 2019 / 6:37 pm

Seems to me happiness is passing — you can be happy with what you’ve done on one project at work and not another… or one project as a hobby like a painting, but not another painting. Or how you played soccer a lot of days but not one day, and you don’t quit (unless you notice your body isn’t up to it any more). The thing about a marriage is it includes all the uneventful days (and some moments or seasons possibly of boredom). All the minutes and hours when you read a book or mop the floor. Sometimes people think happy has to have an opposite like sad or mad and unhappy (which it sometimes does but not always). Yeah, I think of contentment as having a positive meaning… unless you’ve been strong-armed into not saying what you really feel and are just trying to pick a word that isn’t happy but won’t bring punishment.

4. leigha66 May 23, 2019 / 2:25 pm

Contentment is stagnate, you have to shake things up occasionally to keep life interesting.

5. Patricia May 30, 2019 / 1:55 pm

I think one person’s contentment is another’s happiness and vice versa. Both are important to our well-being. Thanks for linking.