It’s Gotten Even Worse

On May 17, 2017, I published my second post after I started this blog. I titled it, “Can American Democracy Survive Donald Trump?” That post received a grand total of three views, one like, and zero comments.

As I was reflecting back on my two years as Fandango, and I read this post, I was amazed that not only has little has changed over the past two years of Donald Trump’s presidency, it has actually gotten even worse.

And so I present below my two-year old post, unchanged and unedited from the original. Some of it is a little dated, but the overall message is the same: America is fucked as long as Trump is president.

Can American Democracy Survive Donald Trump?

pett-cartoon.png

I didn’t just fall off the turnip truck, you know. No siree, Bob! I’ve been around long enough to have experienced Vietnam and Watergate and how terribly divided this country was at those times. But I’ve never seen anything quite like what is happening now to the sanctity of the American democracy under President Donald J. Trump. It’s taken its toll on me. I’m tired, very tired.

It’s not because I’m old, though, or because I’ve been having trouble falling and staying asleep at night. No, the reason I am tired is because something devastating has been happening in and to the country I love. And it’s draining me.

Fake News and Alternative Facts

For months before the election in November, we had been inundated with fake news, alternative facts, lies, racism, and misogyny. Since the election things have only gotten worse, given all of Trump’s conflicts of interest, blatant nepotism, and unprecedented incompetence at the highest levels of the government.

Our new president is purging (or buying off?) his perceived enemies and anyone he believes might do him harm, with FBI Director James Comey’s firing as the latest example. Donald Trump is successfully … so far, anyway … turning our country into an authoritarian dictatorship.

Bill Sanders Cartoon

And what I find truly remarkable and upsetting is that the spineless, gutless, “party over country” Republicans in Congress are just sitting back and letting it happen. They know that Trump is an unhinged, delusional narcissist who is also a pathological liar. But he’s their unhinged, delusional, narcissistic, liar who will sign whatever bills and appoint whatever judges they put in front of him.

Trump is engaging in a war against the legitimate media. He is spreading outright lies, misinformation, and conspiracy theories in an effort to divert and distract attention from the many self-inflicted wounds he’s created as a result of his more outrageous tweets and his asinine behaviors.

Treason or Stupidity?

He has yet to admit that Russia interfered with the election and seems to be giving Putin and the Russians cover. And while he’s saying “America First,” his actions appear to be putting Russia first. He even shared highly classified information with Russian operatives in the Oval Office. Is he intentionally committing treason or is he just incredibly stupid? Or Both?

Respected scholars of history have expressed concerns about how Trump seems to be leading our country down a path followed by despotic 20th century and contemporary leaders.

He has sung the praises of Vladimir Putin (“a strong leader”) and Kim Jong-un (“a smart cookie”). He congratulated Turkish leader Erdogan on winning a referendum that expanded and consolidated his authoritarian powers. He praised the autocratic Egyptian leader el-Sisi as well as Filipino strongman Duterte, a man who likens himself to Hitler.

At the same time, Trump has denigrated and challenged the judicial branch of our own government and seems to have co-opted congressional Republicans, who hold the majority in both houses.

So back to my original question. Can American democracy survive Donald Trump? The short answer is yes, but it will take four types of people to make sure it does.

First, courageous employees within the executive and legislative branches of government who recognize the damage to our national security and our way of life that Trump is causing must be willing to risk their careers and leak documents to the legitimate press so that the unhinged actions of Donald Trump will see the light of day.

Second, brave journalists and reporters must do their jobs and continue to research, publish, and report on what is going on at the White House and in Congress.

Third, concerned citizens need to continue to reach out to their senators and representatives and hold them accountable for their actions. And if these elected officials in Congress don’t have the backbone to put country over party and to do what’s right and best for their constituents by standing up to Trump, they need to know that they will be voted out of office.

Finally, GOP members of Congress and Trump loyalists must stop turning deaf ears and blind eyes to Trump’s faults and follies. They need to honestly and objectively see him and the danger he posed to our country. They also need to stop getting all their news from Fox News.

If these groups of people do the right thing, democracy in America has a chance. If not, well, it was good while it lasted.

Top political cartoon © 5/11/17, Joel Pett, Lexington Herald-Leader. Second political cartoon © 5/16/17 Bill Sanders, Sanders Cartoon Commentary.

34 thoughts on “It’s Gotten Even Worse

• Fandango May 17, 2019 / 8:07 am

That is true, but I use the word democracy in the sense that our leaders are elected by the people in what, except for the presidency, is by popular vote. We are a republic and what I would term a representative democracy.

1. Paula Light May 17, 2019 / 7:11 am

I don’t have much hope at this point. When Nixon turned out to be a shit, Republicans did the right thing. They put country over party. I don’t see that happening again, on either side. Republicans defend every thing Trump does and says, while Democrats do the same on their side. I was completely disgusted with Pelosi, for example, when she defended Tlaib’s horrible remarks on the Holocaust earlier this week. But this is where we are: “my side is always right!”

2. newepicauthor May 17, 2019 / 7:14 am

You should have your own CNN show called “I didn’t fall off the turnip truck”, as I would definitely watch that.

3. Marleen May 17, 2019 / 9:07 am

And the highly-sensitive classified information he shared with Russian operatives was about a country Republicans pretend to care more about than Democrats. But — s-o-m-e-h-o-w — they overlook it, for him.

4. msjadeli May 17, 2019 / 9:49 am

We’re on a trajectory of complete subjugation unless something interrupts it.

5. Don May 17, 2019 / 9:59 am

If it weren’t for the fact the Republicans lost me (I was one for 30 years) when they took Sarah Palin seriously, then Trump would have lost me when he selected for his campaign manager a guy who had worked in Ukraine on behalf of Russian interests. To my mind Trump has been a semi-unwitting asset of the FSB ever since.

I like things simple. To keep things simple, I pretty much consider anyone who continues to support 45 as having lost their sense of patriotism. That’s kinder than the often more likely choice, that they’ve lost their minds / been thoroughly duped.

• Fandango May 17, 2019 / 10:53 am

“I pretty much consider anyone who continues to support 45 as having lost their sense of patriotism.” That certainly seems to be the case with his enablers in the Senate.

6. Melanie B Cee May 17, 2019 / 10:40 am

Eh. You keep on posting these and ‘they will come’. IF the numbers are important to you. I think some of us have gone back to sticking our ostrich heads in the sand and our asses in the air. To me that’s for my physical health and my mental health AND it’s not hiding from the ugliness of today’s America. It’s putting my butt right out there so folks can kiss it.

7. Asbestos Dust May 17, 2019 / 10:44 am

Wait — you mean you HAVEN’T been posting the same panicky bullshit for 2 years? Wow, my mistake. ‘Course, it’s understandable, innit? You could take any of your Trump posts and swap them with any other, and the difference would be totally indistinguishable. I’ll get back to you in six years (yeah, as usual the Dems are busy picking the biggest whackadoos they can find to try and run against him and will – surprise – lose) whenever Trump wanders off into the sunset and we’re still here and fine, thanks, and laugh at you then. In the meantime, cut me a sprout and just copy and paste my response along with your “new” posts. I, too, don’t want to work that hard. You can pretend you’re saying something new and I’ll pretend I’m not arguing with Rainman’s unchanging obsession every day at 4:30. Win/Win, I’m thinking.

• Fandango May 17, 2019 / 11:08 am

My intention, given that I essentially reposted what I posted two years ago, was obviously not to say something new. Sorry if that was too nuanced for you to grasp.

• Asbestos Dust May 17, 2019 / 11:23 am

Oh, no, I get the “intention”. I was just pointing out that it’s apparently also your “capability”. Clever gambit there, using a “repeat” to repeat yourself intentionally as repeating yourself is pretty much what you do. Also, editing MY mistake from the above comment: Change “whackadoos” to “whackadoos, criminals, Communists, and zero-information dumbasses”. Thanks!

• Fandango May 17, 2019 / 11:57 am

“whackadoo, criminal, Communist, and zero-information dumbass.” I’m surprised that you offered such an honest appraisal of yourself. Good for you.

• Asbestos Dust May 17, 2019 / 12:56 pm

“I Know You Are, But What Am I” Clearly we’ve reached the pinnacle of your analytic capability, which the rest of us refer to in dumbfounded awe as the rarely-seen “Pee Wee Herman” level.

• Fandango May 17, 2019 / 2:33 pm

You’re making me sorry that I’m following your blog and had the audacity to poke you in a light-hearted comment. Next time I’ll know better than to not let sleeping dogs lie.

• Asbestos Dust May 17, 2019 / 6:04 pm

Oh, c’mon, now I’ve mashed up your little feelers?

Jaysus, you ARE a sensitive soul, aren’t you? I always knew it. “Hey,” I’d tell anyone listening, “this guy is sensitive.” They paid no attention of course, but I said it. Ask around.

So, fine. Follow or not, comment or not, suit yourself. I’ll stay clear of your political posts. Just put “Trump” somewhere in the header so I know you’re off on another frothing psychotic rant and I’ll skip it.

Oh, and do me a favor and tell my buddy “Marleen” that she won. Pretend she’s the one who drove me off. She could use a win, it seems like, and given her argumentative skills, they’re probably few and far between.

• Fandango May 17, 2019 / 7:19 pm

Oh my, you have so hurt my feelings. I don’t know that I’ll ever recover. Well, I’ll unfollow your blog, and you can unfollow mine. That way, we’ll both achieve some piece of mind.

• Asbestos Dust May 17, 2019 / 7:47 pm

Unfollow you? Pfft. Wouldn’t think of it. You cough up something of interest now and again, even in the face of your Trump fixation. Feel free to unfollow me, if that’s where your flouncing little snit takes you. Can’t imagine how you would think that affects ME one way or the other…huh, each to their own, I guess.

• Fandango May 17, 2019 / 9:42 pm

You’re right, I don’t want to unfollow you. You provide some much needed comic relief. I do have a question for you. Why do your comments come from “asbestos_dust.blogspot.com,” but your posts are on “asbestosdust.wordpress.com”? Just curious.

• Asbestos Dust May 18, 2019 / 1:30 am

Used to have a blogspot site (which still exists in some form) until, ironically, readers started whining about how hard it was to post comments.

So I came over here and, until you just pointed it out, completely forgot that Gravatar was pointed to the old site, or at least I assume that’s the problem. I’ll fix it the next time I get a chance and happen to think of it.

In any event, I despise WordPress and I’d move back if it weren’t such a pain in the ass to sort out the formatting on imported/exported posts, and I may yet when WordPress finally does something that pisses me off worse than usual.

• Marleen May 17, 2019 / 12:09 pm

I suggest reading BLOODLANDS. The Soviets [like Trump] made life hard on farmers too. And breaking news yesterday was that the Trump administration has funneled a huge amount of money meant to help hurting U.S. farmers to Brazilian criminals who are prospering.

• Asbestos Dust May 17, 2019 / 12:58 pm

So, Fandango, is this one of your delicately helpless crew who are unable to defend themselves that you heroically threw yourself in front of awhile back and wanted me to leave alone because I was making them sad? Wouldn’t want to step on any toes…

8. Marleen May 17, 2019 / 1:07 pm

Of course you can’t remember what’s what for yourself.

The book is by Snyder.

Here’s something more fun for you, Dusty:

Fox Guest: [a farmer in the U.S. surprisingly distressed]

9. Marilyn Armstrong May 17, 2019 / 1:26 pm

Tom says there’s nothing more to write. All he has to do is republish ones he wrote before because nothing has changed. No, that’s not true. Things are MUCH worse yet somehow, the same.

10. Asbestos Dust May 17, 2019 / 1:45 pm

Actually, I read Bloodlands, an absolutely brilliant analysis of how between 15 and 20 million civilians died as political pawns between two totalitarian products of absolute and corrupt monarchies — the ultra-socialist Pelosi and hard-core communist AOC.

Whoops, I mean between Hitler and Stalin, of course. (shrug) Potato-potahtoe.

Anyhow, when Lenin (AOC’s hero) overthrew the RUSSIAN monarchy during WWI, the Russians lost control of their western states to Germany. They paid no attention to this because their political theory was that the monarchists and capitalist west would rot from within and fall to the rule of the proletariat. A version of this in fact happened in Germany, where after the the capitalists buried the Germans and crippled their economy, the proletariat rose up in their ignorant masses to install populist EXTREME-left (fascist) socialism — the Nazis.

Whoopsie! Not the vision of history that the Russian Leninist Commies had in mind, especially since they were busy fighting their own internal battles and didn’t have the manpower to keep the now-unoccupied western states under control. This resulted in the creation of a bunch of countries that both Germany and Russia figured they actually owned at the end of the day. In an attempt to get them back under control without bothering to have a war about it, both the Germans, under the control of the final end-product of all socialist systems led by a charismatic psychotic, and the Russians, now led by a brutal Commie who wasn’t content to allow history to shepherd the Proletariat back into the fold, simply starved them all to death. Between the two, it resulted in more casualties than all the Commie/Socialist Concentration Camps in history added together, and that includes clear up into modern times.

So, yeah, Commies and Socialists, battling it out in proxy politics, killing LITERALLY (look it up) millions per year in Central Europe. I totally get how that’s EXACTLY like Trump pissing off some chubby farmer by cutting off handouts. You’re beyond reaching, sweetie — you dove straight into ludicrous. Go back to your suburban book club and wow bored housewives with your “insight”.

• Marleen May 17, 2019 / 3:13 pm

Cutting off handouts? He’s claiming to GIVE and increase handouts. That’s alright, I didn’t expect you to comprehend. He’s certainly given plenty to the criminally convicted Brazilians (thereby, if that’s what you’re defending in your tirade, cutting off that part to U.S. farmers). Hey, you forgot to include that the USSR had and North Korea has “Republic” in their names. Hitler’s government wasn’t “left” even if the word “socialist” showed up in the agitations.

• Asbestos Dust May 17, 2019 / 5:55 pm

….which has absolutely zero to do with either the book you were banging on about or much of anything else… Sorry babe, maybe you need to hoot and fling more and/or get a bigger wall to try to get it to stick to…

• Marleen May 17, 2019 / 6:59 pm

You didn’t demonstrate that you read the book any more than you demonstrated that you watched the five-minute video or otherwise knew anything about that topic before spewing your calcified ideology or subversive agenda mixed up with some words that would be relevant if they’d been coherent in terms of reality.

I’ll end by repeating something from earlier in the whole conversation:

And the highly-sensitive classified information he [Trump] shared with Russian operatives was about a country Republicans pretend to care more about than Democrats [do]. But — s-o-m-e-h-o-w — they overlook it, for him.

I agree with MSJADELI
          May 17, 2019 / 9:49 am
          We’re on a trajectory of complete subjugation unless something interrupts it.

• Marleen May 18, 2019 / 10:21 am

I just found out the criminal Brazilian company that got bolstered by U.S. taxpayer’s money (while U.S. rich people were paying less in those taxes than before) made more than twice as much as McDonald’s last year. Sounds like they were really needy, right? Good ol’ Trump.

11. Lolsy's Library May 17, 2019 / 11:44 pm

I think America will be alright, eventually. But I feel very disappointed by Pelosi, she started off so well…and it’s just gone downhill. She was voted in for a reason, and she is NOT doing her job. I think a lot of politicians in America have forgotten they don’t work for themselves. They were elected by the people (well except for the gerrymandering and Russia interference), because they WORK FOR THE US PEOPLE…Not Trump and his “feelings”.

• Fandango May 18, 2019 / 7:25 am

I am disappointed in Pelli, also. The Dems need to put some real heat on Trump and not wait another year and a half for an election that the Russians may, once again, give to Trump.