One-Liner Wednesday — Women’s Rights

2BDDE02E-48FB-4AB5-AA5D-A3AC11983B40“Congress should pass a Woman’s Heartbeat Law, which mandates that if a woman has a heartbeat, you can’t ever tell her what she can or cannot do with her own body.”

Anonymous

This quote, from whoever made it, seems particularly relevant these days as state after state, including Georgia, Ohio, Iowa, Kentucky, Mississippi, and North Dakota, have passed laws that make it illegal for a woman to have a legal abortion if a fetal heartbeat can be detected, which is usually when a fetus is about six weeks old and before many women even know they are pregnant.

Just yesterday, the Alabama State Senate just passed a near-total abortion ban, that provides no exceptions for rape or incest. The bill now heads to Republican Governor, Kay Ivey. If she signs it, which is likely, the bill will become law. Further, the Alabama law would criminalize the procedure, reclassifying abortion as a Class A felony, punishable by up to 99 years in prison for doctors.

And this Alabama law, if signed by the governor, comes hot on the heels Georgia’s new law prohibiting abortions after six weeks and granting full legal personhood to fetuses. The Georgia law goes so far as to hold a woman who travels out of state to obtain a legal abortion to be subject to arrest and prosecution for conspiracy to commit murder, which is punishable by up to ten years in prison.

Welcome to America, the land of the real life Handmaid’s Tale.

Written for this week’s One-Liner Wednesday prompt from Linda G. Hill.

52 thoughts on “One-Liner Wednesday — Women’s Rights

• Marleen May 15, 2019 / 7:52 am

I was thinking about the American Taliban idea a couple days ago, remembering a right wing (white Republican) pundit questioning things like pedophilia and rape because it’s different (he was saying) if the man wants to take care of the female for the rest of her life.

How do those kinds of people not see that this is the same attitude as when females are shamed for not accepting the father of their child or perpetrator of their pregnancy? Complain (and more) about Sharia Law but then proceed to promote stupid concepts of morality?

• Paula Light May 15, 2019 / 8:34 am

It’s so ironic that they can’t see how they’re so much like the people they supposedly hate.

• Fandango May 15, 2019 / 11:24 am

It’s more hypocritical, in my opinion, than it is ironic. Or maybe it’s both.

1. Sue Vincent May 15, 2019 / 6:30 am

Madness! I’ve never agreed with using abortion as a method of contraception, which I have observed seemed fashionable amongst a set of young women… but I am staunchly pro-choice and pro common sense.

2. rugby843 May 15, 2019 / 6:55 am

I watched the Georgia woman speaking as a fetus. Omg, how sad is it that we have women like this in office? It’s scary, just like the old days of Roe vs Wade. People who want all these babies to be born need to be the ones to care for them all their lives. Where’s the common sense?

• Fandango May 15, 2019 / 7:17 am

At the risk of sounding like a militant atheist, there is no common sense when it comes to religious beliefs, especially far right, conservative religious beliefs.

3. newepicauthor May 15, 2019 / 6:56 am

How can a woman who is raped by a relative ever be able to look her child in the face and not resent them,

• Marleen May 15, 2019 / 7:24 am

I don’t think I would resent the child. But I see conundrums. For instance, do you tell such children they resulted from rape? Or do you, for their sake, not tell them? If you’re raising your own child in that situation, the tendency is for people to act like you were a wanton woman or something. There is also the dynamic that if you are single, and life is hard in terms of making a living, people tend to act like it’s your own damn fault and so forth. So I think the resentment is misplaced and rightly belongs directed to an uncaring mob of self-righteous superior beings.

• Marleen May 15, 2019 / 7:39 am

Oh. It was reported yesterday that an official response to questions about there not being exceptions for rape and incest was that the hope would be parents would, if the law passed, educate their children about such and so. Duh? Somehow these things happen though is the point. I think it’s important for people to be aware of Plan B for emergency situations (someone in a JCC class suggested having some on hand because of the jerks who want to deny women or girls access at such a crucial time). And you think the people who blindly say parents will prepare their kids (although parents sure can take such a role) are the ones most likely to be aware and accepting of Plan B? They (the parents) are taught some pie in the sky. [I mention Plan B even though I don’t see it as abortion because many people treat it that way.]

• Marilyn Armstrong May 15, 2019 / 10:58 am

Family incest is shockingly common and I don’t think any amount of education is going to help an 7 year old girl fight off her father or older brother. There are LAWS about this. And if you are a Christian, incest is absolutely FORBIDDEN.

• Marleen May 15, 2019 / 11:12 am

Exactly and for sure. Their answer of callousness is …well, disappointing isn’t enough.

• Marleen May 15, 2019 / 11:24 am

And, by the way, the proportion of people who are “against abortion” but encourage them in their family is …again, disappointing or infuriating isn’t enough. (And I have to modify my comment — as if all people with their head in the sand about incest or rape [or pretending to be somewhat against incest or rape, etc.] wouldn’t be for a hidden abortion.)

4. Paula Light May 15, 2019 / 7:33 am

I think there’s too much focus on rape. Most pregnancy isn’t from rape. Early termination should still be a woman’s choice no matter what.

• Marleen May 15, 2019 / 7:42 am

It’s true. Most pregnancy isn’t from rape. Whatever the proportions are, a woman or girl shouldn’t have to prove it or accuse it in order to get early intervention.

This is another area where the practicalities thought through show the problem. If you have to prove rape or incest first, any procedure is delayed.

• Marilyn Armstrong May 15, 2019 / 10:59 am

And yet, I know at least one woman who got pregnant via rape. She was unprotected because she didn’t have sex. At all. But alleys in the city …

5. Marleen May 15, 2019 / 8:26 am

I just thought of something that others may have already thought about. Since most (if not all) states have some form of statutory rape law, wouldn’t all pregnancies under certain ages technically be rape? A female too young can’t consent. (Probably not all since there is such thing as a “Romeo and Juliet” [not good nomenclature] exception.)

• Marleen May 15, 2019 / 8:32 am

I don’t think a woman or girl should have to name or identify or even state the age (or anything like that) of whoever else was involved in order to get early intervention.

6. Marilyn Armstrong May 15, 2019 / 8:38 am

I have been saying since maybe 1960 that if you don’t OWN a uterus, you have no business discusssing abortion, birth control, or any other female exclusive bodily function. I tend to spam and ban anyone who doesn’t agree with this because this is a life-long belief. I will respectfully argue with a woman who is pro-life, but never a man. Because you cannot get it if you do not live it.

7. Marleen May 15, 2019 / 9:31 am

This is sort of a side topic too, but significantly related to the notion of being Handmaid’s-Tale-like.

Why Politics Should Be Kept Out of Miscarriages

It would be helpful, of course, if legislators and judges and prosecutors understood the basics of miscarriage. Early pregnancy loss is not uncommon. ….

About half of miscarriages are because of abnormalities in the fetal chromosomes. These defects are usually incompatible with life, and spontaneous abortions occur. The chance of an early pregnancy loss rises with age. While it is less common in younger women, about 80 percent of pregnancies in 45-year-old women can end this way.

….

….

….

….

….

….

….

….

… It’s not clear that those who are writing many of these bills understand how pregnancy works.

• Marleen May 15, 2019 / 9:53 am

Some studies report that miscarriages occur in about 20 percent of all pregnancies. However, many women miscarry before they even know they’re pregnant, mistaking the miscarriage for an extra heavy menstrual cycle. Considering this, the rate of miscarriage is likely closer to 60 percent of all pregnancies.

Miscarriage – Pregnancy Information

pregnancycorner.com

• Marleen May 15, 2019 / 9:54 am

Ten to 25 percent of all recognized pregnancies end in miscarriage, and up to 70 percent of first-trimester miscarriages are caused by chromosomal anomalies.

First Trimester Miscarriage: How Common Is It And What’s …

medicaldaily.com

• Marleen May 15, 2019 / 1:32 pm

More ignorance (WH RESPONSE TO ALABAMA ABORTION BILL):
        “Unlike radical Democrats who have cheered legislation allowing a baby to be ripped from the mother’s womb moments after birth, President Trump is protecting our most innocent and vulnerable, defending the dignity of life, and called on Congress to prohibit late-term abortion.”

This Alabama bill isn’t about “late-term” abortion specifically. And I don’t know how a baby is torn from the womb AFTER birth. [Let alone the poor grammar.]

Pretty sure Donny doesn’t know how that doesn’t make sense.

• Fandango May 15, 2019 / 2:02 pm

Most old, white men don’t understand.

• Marleen May 16, 2019 / 8:56 am

Here’s one example from the nytimes article:

John Becker, a state representative in Ohio, recently sponsored a bill that would also change how pregnant women with unsustainable pregnancies are treated. He suggested that ectopic pregnancies, which are not viable, should in part be handled by “removing the embryo from the fallopian tube and then reinserting it in the uterus so that’s defined as not an abortion.”

This procedure is not possible.

8. Melanie B Cee May 15, 2019 / 10:45 am

I never wanted children, but this is nuts. Incest and rape are two situations where abortion should be offered. My gawd. We’ve gone back to the freakin’ dark ages. The only surprise is that in your list of States that have Gone Mad, Utah wasn’t listed. But I’d bet we aren’t far behind. (I hope that Asbestos idiot shuts the fuck up. he doesn’t live here, he’s not female and well I’m presuming that slime bag is lurking around. My bad.)

• Marilyn Armstrong May 15, 2019 / 11:02 am

Oh, I’m sure he is lurking. That’s how we got our “new” Supreme Court judges — just for this very purpose.

9. BeckiesMentalMess.wordpress.com May 15, 2019 / 4:11 pm

This entire nation is going to Hell in a basket. Whatever happened to Roe vs. Wade? Hell, I was impregnated by some dick who date raped me when I was a lot younger. I was devastated. I Thanked God, for having the choice to terminate that pregnancy. It doesn’t make me an animal, but for our government to stick their noses up women’s vagina’s and tell them what to do, they could all go fuck themselves!

• Fandango May 15, 2019 / 6:26 pm

These states are passing these laws in order to try to get the case before the Supreme Court and are counting on the 5-4 conservative majority to overturn Roe v. Wade.

• Fandango May 16, 2019 / 7:41 am

Yes, and he put them there in part because of their anti-abortion views.

• Marleen May 16, 2019 / 10:08 am

This is the state I’m originally from:

At 4:05 on Thursday morning, [the] Missouri …Republican-dominated Senate passed a bill that bans all abortions at eight weeks. There is an exception for medial emergencies, but no exception for any other reason—including none for cases of rape or incest. No exception for cases of human trafficking. Nothing.

The bill faces one more vote in the Missouri House, where it is expected to pass easily. Republican Gov. Mike Parson, who stepped in after the state’s last Republican governor left amid a sex scandal, has already said he will sign it. ….

………

Unlike the bill passed in Alabama, which is one of several designed to generate a challenge to Roe v. Wade, the Missouri bill is designed to ride in the wake of other states’. The eight-week ban wouldn’t kick in until a similar bill is upheld elsewhere—presumably after Roe has been overturned. That will make it difficult for groups trying to act immediately against the bill. And the bill is designed to generate court fights that go on roughly forever. Because if the eight-week ban is overturned, the bill has a fallback to 14 weeks. And should that be overturned, it has another fallback. And another—all of them short of the 22 weeks that’s the usual understanding of the earliest limit under Roe.

….

• BeckiesMentalMess.wordpress.com May 16, 2019 / 10:18 am

The senate, our own government shoud be ashamed of themselves. I read a similar post yesterday, and I have this sickening feeling in my heart.
              I was date raped in the 80’s, I was also impregnated from this despicable experience. I thanked God for being able to abort that pregnancy. Granted it was very early on that I learned of being pregnant, but just the same… I at least had the right over what I did with my body. I didn’t have the government up in my uterus making decisions and making laws to make me go full term with the harsh realities of what I went through.
              Do utterly disgusted! 😡

• Marleen May 16, 2019 / 11:56 am

Understand… There are people creating the bills who think they have compromised, or at least moderated their understandings, because they used to think you shouldn’t even choose between the life of the mother and the other life. I remember a Christian man, when I was pregnant with my first child, telling me (and my husband) he’d chosen his wife when there was a complication during delivery. Didn’t know why he was telling me this out of the blue.

I had a roommate early in college (who I met there as I moved into the dorm) who was pregnant with twins. Something went wrong with one of the twins, and this (something toxic) was threatening the mother’s life. She was able to have an abortion for the one because it was also threatening the life of the other twin. She was personally against abortion, but perhaps she was able to rationalize after they persuaded her about the twin.

10. Christine Bolton May 15, 2019 / 4:56 pm

I have a mind to get T-shirts printed with that on it. Which century are we in and when are we ever going to stop being men’s property? 😡🤮

11. leigha66 May 16, 2019 / 6:07 pm

I’m embarrassed to be from one of those states you mentioned. It is definitely a huge step backwards. Great quote!