Fandango’s Provocative Question #23

FPQWelcome once again to Fandango’s Provocative Question. Each week I will pose what I think is a provocative question for your consideration. By provocative, I don’t mean a question that will cause annoyance or anger. Nor do I mean a question intended to arouse sexual desire or interest.

I don’t know about you, but I know that I’ve been pretty stressed out lately. The world, over the past several years, has become a chaotic place and many people are finding it disquieting and disturbing.

Most people, at some point in their lives, feel stress. Whether our stress is due to political, financial, personal, or other matters, we all have to figure out how to best cope with it. So my provocative question is this:

“How do you manage or deal with stress? Is there a specific strategy or approach that you’ve found to be particularly effective?”

If you choose to participate, write a post with your response to the question. Once you are done, tag your post with #FPQ and create a pingback to this post if you are on WordPress. Or you can simply include a link to your post in the comments.

And most important, have fun.

Note: some bloggers have had issues with pingbacks not showing up lately, so if you don’t see it shortly after you published your post, you might want manually add your link in the comments.

18 thoughts on “Fandango’s Provocative Question #23

1. bwcarey May 15, 2019 / 3:24 am

stress, is worry, fill your head with eternal wisdom, and you will soon forget all your stress, it takes about five minutes, seriously, amen

2. Marleen May 15, 2019 / 6:49 am

On one hand, this question can be taken a lot like the question about whether you are only made stronger by anything that “doesn’t kill you” — or just deal with it. (And, as I indicated there, I think that is an overly simplified perspective.) Still, there are relatively light ways to help reduce stress or the effect of stress (in addition to a consistent commitment to thinking clearly and not being foolish). One is breathing slowly and deeply. Another is the exercise of taking time to tense and relax various muscle sets of the whole body (there’s probably a term for this, but I don’t know what that term is). A third way is exercise in general or physical recreation. (My favorite would be swimming, but I exercise in other ways without direct access to a pool or ocean.)

• Fandango May 15, 2019 / 7:15 am

Thanks. I think at one time or another I’ve tried them all.

• Marleen May 15, 2019 / 10:50 am

By swimming, I would mean for hours on end. (And then I’d take Marilyn’s recent advice to only watch comedy for news — if anything. So as not to kill the buzz.)

3. Marleen May 16, 2019 / 10:30 pm

Hey. Sometimes, Politics & Public Policy Today (on C-SPAN) is encouraging. I saw Elizabeth Warren on there (live in Virginia) tonight.

4. Irene May 17, 2019 / 6:42 am

I try to “prepare for the worst and hope for the best”, then I know the rest is out of my control and try to keep busy with other tasks, while truly hoping for the best outcome.