In Other Words — Marigolds

08C61C6D-BEA8-4DA7-B0C3-6C1E5A2436C1Mares eat oats and
Dōes eat oats and
Little lambs eat ivy

So why the hell am I cursed with a dog
Who eats only marigolds?

Written for the In Other Words prompt from Patricia’s Place. The challenge this week is to write a story or poem of five lines or fewer using the picture above and/or the word “marigolds.” Photo credit: Lisa Yount on skitterphoto.

11 thoughts on “In Other Words — Marigolds

1. Sadje May 9, 2019 / 6:47 am

Tut tut…. maybe he likes their color. They do have medicinal properties too.

2. Marleen May 9, 2019 / 2:16 pm

I though of sharing this information in response to two other of your topics; now, with a picture of marigolds, it’s the time. I don’t know if it has anything to do with your dog, but it might. I bought a supplement with lutein and zeaxanthin and zinc and vitamin E and a couple other active ingredients (copper and vitamin C), marketed as being for eyes, a few days ago. (I’ve had this kind of nutrient before, but sometimes I get negligent.) My eye doctor recommends everyone take lutein. Since the gel capsules I found have zeaxanthin too, I looked that up.

….

The name (pronounced zee-uh-zan’-thin) is derived from Zea mays (common yellow maize corn, in which zeaxanthin provides the primary yellow pigment), plus xanthos, the Greek word for “yellow” (see xanthophyll).

……

Lutein and zeaxanthin have identical chemical formulas and are isomers, but they are not stereoisomers. The only difference between them is in the location of the double bond in one of the end rings. This difference gives lutein three chiral centers whereas zeaxanthin has two. ….

……….

Many vegetables are mentioned. Then, yesterday, I saw that both can come from marigold.

• Marleen May 9, 2019 / 2:20 pm

Well… I forgot to put italics around the earlier of the two quoted paragraphs.

• Marleen May 9, 2019 / 4:59 pm

The primary carotenoids in marigolds are lutein and zeaxanthin, often paired together, and lycopene.

Not all marigolds are created equal. The National Institutes of Health explains that the marigold you find in most home gardens is of the tagetes variety, which are purely ornamental. The marigold variety that delivers health benefits is calendula. The flowers of the calendula marigold have been used for centuries for their health benefits.

………

• Marleen May 9, 2019 / 5:01 pm

{It’s unclear to me how one knows which kind is the kind.}

Properties and Benefits of Calendula

The common marigold (Calendula officinalis), also known as calendula is one of 13 calendula species in the Asteraceae family. In addition to being edible, calendula flowers are prized for their potent medicinal properties. Calendula consumption either as food or tea helps expel parasitic worms as a result of the plant’s natural anthelmintic properties and is said to support normal liver function.

Moreover, calendula is particularly soothing on the stomach in the sense that it reduces stomach lining inflammation in gastritis and ulcer sufferers. Its soothing properties are said to benefit the digestive system further down, helping manage hemorrhoid symptoms. When applied externally, calendula is highly efficient against fungal infections, insect bites, even purulent wounds due to its naturally antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties.

3. leigha66 May 10, 2019 / 9:47 am

I know puppies will chew on anything, but I had never heard of a dog that ate flowers. 🐶🌺

4. Patricia May 13, 2019 / 2:30 pm

I guess dogs like some fresh variety in their diets, no reason to curse him. My cats leave the marigolds alone but treat the impatiens as if they are part of a salad bar. Funny lines this week. Thanks for sharing.