A to Z Challenge Reflections

img_4815Those of us who participated in the 2019 A to Z Blogging Challenge last month have been asked by the promoters to write a post reflecting back on our experience. Okay, fair enough. Here are my thoughts.

During the month of April, I had 15,438 views, of which 1,586 were of my 26 A to Z posts, so the A to Z posts accounted for just over 10% of my total views for the month. And I probably gained some followers in April through my A to Z Challenge participation.

My top five A to Z posts viewed in April were:

1. B is for Blogger (120 views)
  2. G is for Gender (95 views)
  3. X is for Xenophobe (93 views)
  4. A is for Acronym (92 Views)
  5. C is for Chronological Order (68 views)

Interestingly, 57% of my A to Z posts were viewed in the first half of the month and only 43% in the second half, so readership dropped off significantly as the month progressed.

One of the goals of the A to Z Challenge is to encourage bloggers to post every day during the month of April. But I already post multiple times a day anyway, so I’m not sure that having to come up with a challenge post each day wasn’t more of a burden than it was worth.

And yes, it was a bit of a burden. Unlike many others who participated in the challenge, I didn’t have a theme. So I had to come up each day with some rather random “alpha-post” in addition to my other prompt-response posts and my political rants. And yes, some of my A to Z Challenge posts were political rants.

I met a few other bloggers who were new to me as a result of their participation in the challenge, but not that many. A few hundred bloggers participated and ain’t nobody got time to read a few hundred posts each day from other bloggers.

Aint Nobody Got Time For That GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Will I do this again next April? I honestly don’t know. I’ll have to see how I’m feeling then, assuming that I’m still alive and blogging.

16 thoughts on “A to Z Challenge Reflections

1. Sadje May 6, 2019 / 6:32 am

You had good post for all the letters despite not having a theme, but wasn’t that more liberating. You could then write on any subject.

• Fandango May 6, 2019 / 6:42 am

That’s true. Yes, it was more liberating not having a theme. But somehow, maybe because it was a commitment I made to myself, it felt at times almost like an obligation.

• Sadje May 6, 2019 / 6:49 am

I know the feeling. When we make a bench mark for ourselves, we feel obliged to measure up to it. There needn’t be an outside pressure or obligation.

2. iScriblr May 6, 2019 / 6:50 am

Loved your take on the challenge! Kudos on a job well done!👏👏

3. Paula Light May 6, 2019 / 7:20 am

I always enjoy your posts. Even though politics are tiresome, your writing is passionate and funny, so I don’t mind politics from you. Plus I agree with you, which helps! 😂

I did every one of the alphablog posts and at the beginning visited a few new bloggers, but as you say who has time? I received only a few new visits as well, likely for the same reason.

Bottom line: it was a tedious chore. 😛

4. What Words May Come May 6, 2019 / 8:41 am

You have no idea how much my wife and I say, “Ain’t nobody got time for that!” Hahahahaha… I should go look at my stats too! I never do, but I have about 80 percent less followers, so there’s that!

5. Jackie May 6, 2019 / 9:02 am

I love how you wrapped up things pretty nicely. I enjoyed reading your AtoZ posts (I read a few) and I for one, don’t have time to read 100 blogs a day. After all, was said and done I always say to myself “I won’t be doing this again” but every year April Challenge comes back around it’s a different story. So who knows really if I will be doing it again.

6. The Haunted Wordsmith May 6, 2019 / 12:03 pm

Congrats on the views! I have been on a stats fast, but just looked at mine. I dropped 1k views in April lol. I peaked at 37 views for the A to Z challenge. I missed several of your posts, but love reading what I can 🙂

7. leigha66 May 7, 2019 / 11:26 am

I enjoyed reading your A to Z posts. Glad to hear your views went up. I would like to think I would do it again next year and get into it in time to be included in the list of writers. I missed the sign up date this year but still did it on my own. I also picked a pretty easy topic – about myself.

8. randommusings29 May 10, 2019 / 1:12 pm

I always find my views higher for the first half of April than the second. I think people run out of steam and/or get bored of visiting the other blogs
    Debbie

• Fandango May 10, 2019 / 2:15 pm

Yeah, I think that’s probably the case.