While I Was Sleeping

When I wake up in the morning, one of the first things I do is go to my WordPress app and check my stats to see how many views my blog got while I was sleeping. Typically, that number is between 85 and 120. But this morning I saw this.B301FCED-E6AC-494F-A483-E19788820D71Yes, that’s right. Almost 600 views, a number of views that is higher than what I usually get in total on an average day!

And then I saw this in my Reader.66F58CDC-9742-493F-98B5-3BBD1634C608464 hourly views when my normal hourly average is more like 22! What?

Of the 599 views when I awoke this morning, 306 were “Home Page/Archives,” and I noticed that a lot of the posts viewed were older ones. Only 60 of the views were of the three posts that I had scheduled to be published overnight.

I checked my Spam and Trash folder and there were a few posts in each, which all appeared to be legitimate spam and trash comments.

So either my blog has been hacked or there is yet another glitch in WordPress, this one dealing with how it tracks blog visits.

Is anyone else having an unusually high number of views showing up in your stats page today?

19 thoughts on “While I Was Sleeping

1. J-Dub May 5, 2019 / 11:16 am

business as usual here too

2. Marilyn Armstrong May 5, 2019 / 11:49 am

Enjoy it. These weird upward spirals don’t last forever, but my last one went on for five months and in November 2017 I had for the month, an average of 721 hits a day. A few months later, it plopped back to normal but what a ride it was! Usually, Google has somehow popped up up top of something and suddenly, you are the new rage. It’s very cool and try not to get too depressed when it falls back to normal. If you are lucky, you’ll get a nice long ride!

• Fandango May 5, 2019 / 11:53 am

I expect it to fall back to normal tomorrow.

3. crushedcaramel May 5, 2019 / 3:19 pm

That is a lot! It would be nice if the views came along with some friendly comments of encouragement too.

I have noticed a couple of strange things. I don’t normally look at my stats at all…but I noticed that there were around three or four strange days. When there were an unusually high number of views and lots of my posts (around one hundred) had one view each. It looked as if one person was bulk reading lots of my posts. But the first time I noticed it, the reader was in South Africa, then the next day in England, then the next day the USA. So I guess it was three different readers. All deciding to binge on Caramel one day after each other.

4. KC May 5, 2019 / 4:36 pm

I never look but just did to see….nope..same paltry amount which brings me to a question that you can probably answer: what’s the difference between a “view” and a ‘visitor?” Isn’t it one I the same?

• Fandango May 5, 2019 / 11:51 pm

A visitor can view multiple posts from a single blogger in a day, so views generally exceed the number of visitors. I typically have a 2:1 ratio of views to visitors.

• Fandango May 6, 2019 / 6:33 am

I ended up with 935 views, which is about 400-500 higher than my average day. Today I had only about 150 when I woke up.

5. Christine Bolton May 6, 2019 / 6:37 am

Isn’t that bizarre! It might be Russian bots looking at all your Trump posts 🤣
    I’d be happy with 400 LOL!

6. BeckiesMentalMess.wordpress.com May 6, 2019 / 10:59 am

Hey, go with it! This happens to me at least once a week. I never questioned this particular “Glitch” LOL!, just as long as nothing else is broken, I will happily accept those spikes! LOL!

7. blindzanygirl May 11, 2019 / 7:03 am

I had same thing happen to me aroundbthe samebtime as you I think, Fandango. Weird!