My Little Red Wagon

CB21C71B-0FF1-4FA9-AC7E-B7A77EADA22AWhen I was a kid, about eight or nine, my ma used to regularly send me to the small grocery store about a half a mile from our tenement house. She’d give me a list of things to pick up, like bread, milk, juice, eggs, chocolate, etc.

Unfortunately, I wasn’t the strongest or most coordinated kid around, and I would incur the wrath of my ma on those occasions when I would accidentally drop the one of the heavy paper bags and break the eggs or the milk bottle.

My father and mother had gotten divorced a few years back, and she had taken up with the married lawyer who represented her in the divorce case. But since he was married, they had to meet on the down-low. So when I was at school, she would take my younger brother to the park in the afternoon once or twice a week and she and the lawyer would meet there. My ma would put my brother on the carousel and the lawyer would give the kid who ran the ride a few bucks to watch my brother for an hour while he and my ma engaged in some afternoon delight.

I managed to find out about their weekly assignations from my baby brother, who wasn’t as dumb as he looked. One night, the lawyer stopped by at our apartment and I confronted him. I told him I knew what he and my ma were up to and threatened to out them to my father. As lawyers are wont to do, he asked if I’d be interested in some negotiation.

I thought about each trip I took to the grocery store for my ma and the trouble I had balancing the heavy bags on my walk home. “I’ll keep my mouth shut,” I said, “if you buy me a little red wagon that I can use to haul the full bags of groceries from the store to home.”

The lawyer readily agreed and a few days later he delivered my shiny, new wagon.

Post script: I ratted him out anyway, and he was ultimately disbarred when it came out that he was screwing not only my ma, but many of his female divorce clients. Oh, his wife divorced him, too.

Written for Paula Light’s Three Things Challenge, where the three thing are “lawyer,” “carousel,” and “chocolate.” Also for these daily prompts: Ragtag Daily Prompt (bread), Your Daily Word Prompt (negotiation), Word of the Day Challenge (trip), and Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (wagon).

15 thoughts on “My Little Red Wagon

1. rugby843 April 30, 2019 / 5:49 pm

I used to take a little wagon like this to the grocery, putting my one and two year old in it to the grocery when we only had one car. My four year old walked with me.

2. Marleen April 30, 2019 / 8:16 pm

A number of thoughts, but this one stands out: my middle son says with certainty that you don’t have to be honest with a jerk.

• Marleen May 1, 2019 / 12:44 pm

I laughed at the line,
      … my baby brother, who wasn’t as dumb as he looked.

Anyway, interesting story. It seems real.

3. Melanie B Cee May 1, 2019 / 8:21 am

What a young age to indulge yourself in a little blackmail. As your victim found out, blackmailers never go away, they’ll either find more things they must have OR they’ll do as you did and rat the person out. But good on your mom for finding some joy amidst what was probably a really ego damaging situation!

4. Tien Skye May 1, 2019 / 11:12 pm

Haha, fantastic take on the prompt! Amazing how a little red wagon can lead to this story, together with the use of the words as well!

5. susanrouchard May 3, 2019 / 1:56 pm

I had the same one, also red ! Thanks for this post. I used to carry my Teddy bear around in it…also mud to make mud pies…my lemonade to sell on the street corner in the summer (that wasn’t such a great idea though, as the jug wasn’t very stable !) Really brings back memories. It reminds me of a book I’m currently reading, on and off, that was in my late sister’s things. All I really need to know, I learned in Kindergarten by Robert Fulghum, published in 1986.