Tale Weaver — The Best Part of Waking Up

DC7D3881-1A12-47E8-9F02-D20A5F69E457

For this week’s Tale Weaver prompt from Mindlovemisery’s Menagerie, we have been invited to write about our morning and our need for coffee or tea to get our day underway.

I definitely need coffee in the morning these days, but it wasn’t always that way. In fact, unlike most of my school buds, I never touched coffee in college. I thought it was way too bitter for my tastes. But when I went to basic training in the army, I decided to give it a shot. In order to tolerate the close to sludge-like army coffee, I had to add lots of milk and sugar.

By the time I rejoined civilization after my stint in the army, I couldn’t survive the morning without coffee, and I continued to load up my coffee with milk and sugar. Eventually I decided to cut out the milk and just use sugar. But I was anything but a coffee connoisseur. I was perfectly fine drinking instant coffee, black with sugar.

But as I got older, I became more picky about my coffee. I bought a Mr. Coffee machine and bags of ground coffee and made my own fresh coffee each morning before work. I still couldn’t take it without sugar, though.

Then I switched to whole beans, got a burr grinder, and ground my own. Still black, with sugar. Finally I bought a top of the line Cuisinart combo grinder/brewer. My wife and I use only organic whole bean dark roast coffee. She has it all set up the night before and the first thing she does every morning is turn on the Cuisinart so that, by the time I head downstairs, a whole pot of delicious, fresh coffee is awaiting. I pour myself a cup and sit down and read the local newspaper.

I can’t imagine starting my day any other way.

And by the way, I gave up sugar in my coffee. Now I put half a packet of Splenda in each cup.

And that’s my story about my need for coffee to get my day underway. It’s the best part of waking up.

13 thoughts on “Tale Weaver — The Best Part of Waking Up

1. Marleen April 25, 2019 / 6:51 pm

Only organic, whole bean. Schn-a-a-a-z-y.

Coffee’s a major part of my morning, too.

2. morristownmemos by Ronnie Hammer April 25, 2019 / 7:55 pm

You coffee lovers are SO lucky! I used to love ❤️ coffee too, but suddenly my grumpy stomach did loop de loops when I have a cup. That is a miserable situation to find yourself in, let me tell you, so 😊 enjoy!

3. Marleen April 25, 2019 / 8:47 pm

That’s very magnanimous if you.

4. Michael April 25, 2019 / 10:23 pm

That’s a great story of the evolution of a coffee drinker, so thanks for sharing with us. Most entertaining.

5. Tandi Tales April 26, 2019 / 12:35 am

I’m wary of trying coffee because I’m guaranteed to become addicted. I love the smell of the coffee aisle at the supermarket, and I love watching a barista draw a squiggle in the froth with a dribble of milk. It’s a real art, but I’ve only ever sipped a coffee once in my life.

Should I continue to stay away, or should I embrace the addiction Fandango?

• Fandango April 26, 2019 / 7:24 am

I limit myself to two cups a day on most days. I’m addicted to it in that I MUST have it in the morning, but it’s rare for me to have any after my two cups, so my addiction is under control. I think! 😏

6. Melanie B Cee April 26, 2019 / 8:25 am

Hubby was a coffee connoisseur too. Truck drivers live on the stuff. And for a time I had a cup of mocha in the morning, which he’d make for me to take with me to work. Alas the demons of over-acidity in my system have rendered that treat a very very occasional one. “Sides I’m not supposed to drink coffee. Against the rules in my flavor of religion. I heard a rumor this year that they’re going to amend that though. Because the rule doesn’t actually say “Coffee or tea” or even caffeine; it says “hot drinks.” Which some could argue includes cocoa and hot cider (and for me hot jello water). I start my day with a big mug of English Breakfast tea and a healthy dollop of Dunkin’ Donuts “Extra Extra”. Those artificial sweeteners (any of them) have a very peculiar flavor to me, but to each their own. Your way is probably more healthy.

• Fandango April 26, 2019 / 8:54 am

What is the religious basis for not drinking coffee (or hot drinks)?

• Melanie B Cee April 26, 2019 / 9:06 am

Not being a (formerly the Mormons) scholar, I don’t actually know. If you ask one of the leaders of the LDS church, you’d get the perhaps stale answer of “God decreed it.” If you ask certain others who study the history of the Church a whole lot more studiously than I ever have, you’d hear a variety of answers from “The Word of Wisdom ((which is what the set of rules is called)) was enacted because Emma Smith (Joseph Smith’s wife) got tired of clearing out the chewing tobacco the men would spit on her clean floors.” to “Coffee and tea (caffeine) caused too much stimulus.” I have no clue. Hot drinks is real weird as a vice (in my opinion). I understand fully why tobacco and booze were named though.