Hell Hath No Fury

61A1D6D9-F978-4733-B38E-F762948D1B5FI have no idea how it got there, I swear,” Tim said.

“You’re drunk!” Alicia said, tears welling up in her eyes. “You waltz in here at almost midnight, barely able to stand up, slurring your words, smelling like her perfume, and you have the nerve to tell me that you have no idea how her lipstick on got on your collar?”

“Okay, fine, but I promise you, babe, nothing happened,” Tim insisted. “Yes, I had dinner with your sister at her apartment, but it was just dinner and a bottle of wine. We were both a bit tipsy, and she said wanted me to sleep with her. But I told her no. So we hugged before I left, and she must have smudged her lipstick on my collar in order to cause a rift between you and me. You know how she’s always been jealous of you.”

“My husband and my sister, huh?” Alicia said. She smiled at Tim, moved in close to him and whispered tenderly in his ear, “You always said that you’re a family man.”

She plunged the kitchen knife deep into his gut. Still smiling, Alicia said, “Let me remind you of something you should have learned in English lit, Tim. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.”

As the light started to fade from Tim’s eyes, Alicia added, “Don’t fret, sweetheart, my jealous sister will soon be learning this same lesson.”

Written for yesterday’s Story Starter Challenge from Teresa (aka The Haunted Wordsmith). The story starter is, “I have no idea how it got there.”

19 thoughts on “Hell Hath No Fury

1. Sadje April 25, 2019 / 3:53 am

Bad ending for the straying husband. A lesson to be learned.

• Marleen April 25, 2019 / 9:16 pm

She decided, instead, to “let her sister [also] have it.”

Maybe it’ve been better to let them each
      have it… but… “right in the kisser.”

The Honeymooners – POW!

Actually, I’m glad anything like that is properly a thing of the past.

2. Tien Skye April 25, 2019 / 9:06 pm

Woah! I rocked in my chair at that ending! She really stayed true to the adage

3. Marleen April 25, 2019 / 10:06 pm

I was watching a McConaughey movie recently, Ghosts of Girlfriends Past, and wondered why they make movies like that. Are they sponsored by expensive wedding dress manufacturers… destination wedding locations… church denominations, men’s clubs?

• Fandango April 25, 2019 / 10:40 pm

Good question. I never saw that movie, though.

• Marleen April 26, 2019 / 12:11 am

Lol. A touch of irony, perhaps. (I didn’t rent it or anything.)

• Marleen April 26, 2019 / 8:48 pm

You’d think, looking at the first scene here (there are two),
          that there’s something equal going on… looking back at
          it now, it’s even worse. The love interest in the car did not
          do the same thing to him (such that he knows… blah, blah).

Ghosts Of Girlfriends Past | Living with Regret

There are aspects of the story that are of interest.
          (And it’s based on Ghosts of Christmases Past —
          but that’s not as adaptable as someone imagined.)

There is worth in the second scene taken on it’s own.
          In particular, he says that it is better to care/love than to
          be the person with the most control due to not caring much.

4. Tandi Tales April 26, 2019 / 12:40 am

Ouch. So emotive. I’m so naive that I actually bought Tim’s story. I was outraged that his wife could so quickly jump to conclusions. Then I realized, Tim fooled ME! Brilliant writing.