Let It Bleed — Yet Another One of Fandango’s Political Rants

8AD4C5D7-DF97-482F-B97C-0A5D99DC3F3CPlease bear with me while I rant and vent a little about the state of partisan politics in the United States in 2019.

After the release of the full, albeit redacted, Mueller Report, there is a growing debate among Democrats about whether or not to begin the formal impeachment process. More progressive Democrats think members of the House of Representatives must take the initiative and immediately begin impeachment hearings against Donald Trump, even though there is close to a zero chance that such a move would be supported in the Republican controlled Senate.

More moderate Democrats suggest that we continue with ongoing investigations from the House Judiciary, Intelligence, Finance, and Oversight committees and hold open, public hearings so that Americans can see what a slime ball Trump is and vote him out of office in 2020.

I admit I’m on the fence. I’m not a politically astute pundit and I don’t know what would be best for our country in both the short and long terms. But I do know the ugly face of hypocrisy when I see it.

Let us harken back to 1998 when then President Bill Clinton lied to the public and to Congress about getting a blowjob from an intern, Monica Lewinsky, and was then accused of obstruction of justice by attempting to influence witness testimony.

Here’s what Republican Senator Lindsey Graham said 21 years ago:

“[Clinton] doesn’t have to say, ‘Go lie for me,’ to be a crime. You don’t have to say, ‘Let’s obstruct justice’ for it to be a crime. You judge people on their conduct, not magic phrases. The point I’m trying to make is you don’t even have to be convicted of a crime to lose your job in this constitutional republic. Impeachment is not about punishment. Impeachment is about cleansing the office.”

And then there’s this 21-year-old quote from the mouth of an even bigger hypocritical snake, Senator Mitch McConnell:

“Our nation is indeed at a crossroads. Will we pursue the search for truth or will we dodge, weave, and evade the truth? I am, of course, referring to the investigation into serious allegations of illegal conduct by the president of the United States — that the president has engaged in a persistent pattern and practice of obstruction of justice. The allegations are grave, the investigation is legitimate, and ascertaining the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the unqualified, unevasive truth is absolutely critical.”

And now, 21 years later, we have a president who coordinated with Russia to help him win the presidency, who has continually lied about it, and who has done everything possible to obstruct justice. And yet these same scumbags say, with respect to Trump, there’s nothing there.

Where is the outrage Graham and McConnell expressed 21 years ago? How can they equate lying about a blowjob with being a traitor to his country and systematically destroying our American democracy?

Okay, I’m done ranting and venting. Happy Easter, Happy Passover, and for those “non-believers” like me, Happy Sunday.

Written for the Let It Bleed Weekly Prompt Challenge from Saumya Agrawal’s Randomness Inked blog. The prompt for this week is the word “vent.” Also for these daily prompts: Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (partisan), Your Daily Word Prompt (initiative), Word of the Day Challenge (ugly), and Ragtag Daily Prompt (snake).

25 thoughts on “Let It Bleed — Yet Another One of Fandango’s Political Rants

1. rugby843 April 21, 2019 / 11:57 am

I agree with you 100 percent. How can they even look themselves in the mirror? How can an affair be equated to what T dies every single day? He’s done what Clinton did PLUS! I’m so disgusted I can barely look at the news.

2. Marilyn Armstrong April 21, 2019 / 2:51 pm

I think, even though it will come to nothing or at least not be prosecuted, we should impeach. Because if we don’t, it’s as if we are saying “Oh it was nothing.” We just can’t do that. There are a lot of apathetic uninterested “voters” in the U.S. We need to try and get them woken up and impeachment should at least do that.

3. nkdwhtguy April 21, 2019 / 6:02 pm

I’m with you 100%. It’s exhausting watching the hypocrisy of the GOP.

• Fandango April 21, 2019 / 10:16 pm

Wow, I haven’t heard from you or seen any posts from you in a long, long time. I thought maybe you threw in the blogging towel. Are you about to rejoin the blogosphere?

• nkdwhtguy April 22, 2019 / 8:33 am

I took a break, but am still around lurking. Thanks for noticing my absence. 🙂

4. Laura April 21, 2019 / 7:28 pm

An excellent rant. The hubby & I were just talking about Lindsey Graham, then and now, and the hypocrisy is infuriating. Sometimes I just have to vent at someone who understands.

• Fandango April 21, 2019 / 10:19 pm

Thanks. It does feel good to get these rants out there instead of bottled up inside.

5. All About Life April 21, 2019 / 11:42 pm

Nice rant ;O) I have one question though – I know very little about the US political system but I thought that the point of a report like this was to be clear and transparent – why then was it redacted????

• Fandango April 22, 2019 / 6:36 am

Because the Attorney General that Trump put in place feels that his job is to protect Trump rather than the American people or institutions, which is why Trump put him in that role.

6. johnfreda April 22, 2019 / 4:50 am

Good show, here! Using prompts in a constructive and creative way.

7. JT Twissel April 22, 2019 / 10:24 am

At this point I think we need to have it on record who voted for and against an impeachment of this traitor who is trying to break the rule of law that holds this country together.

8. Clever Girl April 22, 2019 / 12:58 pm

Hypocrisy is an American political pastime. Anyway yes, impeachment… but will it ever happen? I’m doubtful. Trump makes too many people rich.

9. leigha66 April 22, 2019 / 3:54 pm

Nice write… indeed there is a double standard when it comes to playing fair in government.