One-Liner Wednesday — A Good Performer

BDCD2773-4E98-4BF0-8CDF-0BC61F7D3BD3

“Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and still be considered a good performer.”

Baseball Hall of Fame player Ted Williams

I don’t disagree with Ted Williams about baseball players, but I would suggest that there is another profession besides baseball where succeeding three times out of ten is about par for the course, if you’ll pardon the mixed metaphor. That profession: TV weather forecasters.

Written for today’s One-Liner Wednesday prompt from Linda G. Hill.

8 thoughts on “One-Liner Wednesday — A Good Performer

1. Woolly Muses April 10, 2019 / 3:45 am

How about Economists? Many years/decades ago I heard it said than an Economist was the only profession who was paid to give advice and then paid again to tell you why their advice was incorrect.

Sadly I think there are many professions where that continues to this day. The finance industry being one which comes to my mind. And in Australia that has extended as far as charging the dead fees for service long after the daisy had started to grow.

2. Sadje April 10, 2019 / 3:54 am

I agree, you don’t need to be “successful” in every endeavor to be labeled a success.

3. Dan Antion April 10, 2019 / 4:40 am

Ha ha – There are times during the winter when I would love it if our weatherman was batting .300

Nicely done!

4. John Holton April 10, 2019 / 8:51 am

3 out of 10 would be incredible from weather forecasters. I have about half a dozen weather apps on my phone, and I swear they’re all wrong most of the time.

• Fandango April 10, 2019 / 9:06 am

When I walk my dog I alway check my weather apps and my Accuweather app often tells me “No rain in the next 120 minutes,” and when I step outside, sure enough, it’s raining!

5. leigha66 April 10, 2019 / 10:17 pm

If, as a cashier, my drawer was off as many times as the forecast was off I would have been fired. And they get paid no matter if they are right or wrong. Good post!