I is for Taxes

DA90BCB9-5728-4912-B8BE-E7FC6C7AFCDCOkay, I’m not an idiot. I know that the letter “I” is not for taxes. At least not directly. But every year in the United States, April 15th, which is just five days from today, is when tax filings (and payments, if applicable) are due. And since the agency to which we in America must file each year to pay our fair share to fund our federal government is the Internal Revenue Service, or the IRS, which starts with the letter “I,” I don’t think it’s too much of a stretch to say that “I” is for taxes. Besides, my “I” post for last year’s A to Z Challenge was titled “I is for IRS” and I didn’t want to use that again.

So as I said, the tax filing deadline for our 2018 taxes is April 15th. I’ve been seriously thinking about not filing my taxes this year as an act of protest and civil disobedience. How about if I refuse to pay my taxes until Donald Trump releases his taxes?

I was thinking of not paying my taxes to protest the inhumanity happening at our country’s southern border, with the separation of little children from their families and throwing these kidnapped kids in literal steel cages.

I was thinking that there are plenty of other legitimate, in my opinion, reasons to not pay my taxes. However, I was also thinking that I wouldn’t do so well were I to be incarcerated for tax evasion in a federal prison. So I admit, I’m all talk, and I am going to file my taxes on or before April 15th.

There is a bit of a silver lining this year. I am actually getting a very small refund from the IRS for my federal taxes. Woo hoo!

But please hold your applause. April 15th is also the day my state tax filing is due. And my home state, the state of California, is requiring me to pay the state for the privilege of living here, an amount that is more than ten times greater than the refund I will be getting from the IRS on my federal taxes.

What a sad state that is.

Previous A to Z Challenge 2019 posts:
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

19 thoughts on “I is for Taxes

1. newepicauthor April 10, 2019 / 7:10 am

If you have enough money, then you never have to file your taxes. The IRS does not want the Supreme Court to decide if taxes are constitutional, so if you have enough to get your lawyers to take this case all the way there, the IRS won’t bother you for not filing.

• msjadeli April 10, 2019 / 10:09 am

Jim will you say more about this? Should we be worried? I’m guessing yes…

2. Paula Light April 10, 2019 / 7:11 am

Mine was the opposite: Uncle Sam taketh, Uncle Gavin gave back. But I just read that we working peeps are going to have to submit new W-4s soon that will be as complicated as a return. 🙄

3. Marilyn Armstrong April 10, 2019 / 10:00 am

There are so MANY good reasons to not file taxes and if I didn’t get a refund, I might see if we could get enough people involved to make it work. But alas. We oldies, on the whole, get money back. The only throats we’d be cutting are our own.

4. msjadeli April 10, 2019 / 10:08 am

Fandango, I noticed this year that the LARGE amount I had to pay was to the Treasury Department and not the IRS this year. Trump and Congress have cut out the intermediary. Imagine that.

• Fandango April 10, 2019 / 10:44 am

You cut the check to Treasury. The IRS is the agency within the Treasury Department charged with collecting and processing tax returns.

5. leigha66 April 10, 2019 / 10:23 pm

I think no matter where you are, state taxes are always worse than federal.