Fish Story

CDC40A5D-77CB-4252-A499-072919C08EE4Rory, aka A Guy Called Bloke, has this new game he calls Spin the Keyboard Yarn. Rory has asked us to create a 300-word yarn and today’s yarn is to be based on this topic:

“I caught a fish … it was THIS big?!”

At the end of my 300-word story, you, the reader, will be asked to vote, on a scale of one to ten, how believable my story is, where one is not at all believable and ten is totally believable.

Got it? Good! So here’s my 300-word fish story.

When my cousin and I were about 12, my uncle rented a boat on a lake near St. Louis one summer to introduce us to fishing. It was a large, beautiful lake and my uncle told us that the lake was teeming with bass, crappie, bluegill, and catfish.

By mid afternoon my cousin, my uncle, and I had managed to catch around a dozen fish and we were stoked. We were also sweltering, as it was very hot and muggy. Since none of us was wearing bathing trunks, my uncle suggested we strip down to our skivvies and jump into the lake to cool off.

Unbeknownst to us, a fish native to the Amazon basin, the pacu fish, which has human-like teeth and can weigh up to 55 pounds, had been spotted in the lake.3D6F049D-91FB-4A49-B074-85D80743247BPacus use their teeth to crack the tough shells of nuts and seeds. But Pacus have acquired the nickname, “ball cutters,” because they have developed an affinity for using their human-like teeth to crack a different kind of nut — human testicles. Honestly, I’m not making this up. Google “pacu fish” if you don’t believe me.

But back to my fish tale. The three of us had dived into the water to cool off when my uncle started screaming. My cousin and I swam over to him, saw lots of blood in the water, and somehow managed to drag the man over to and onto the boat. What we saw sent chills up and down our spines. A huge fish’s mouth was clamped shut on his ball sack. I picked up an oar and pounded on the fish until it eased its grip and then my cousin threw the fish back into the water.

My uncle lived, but, according to my aunt, their sex life was never the same after that.

Now it’s audience participation time. In the comments, please tell me what you think of my story. And most important, please rate my story. Out of ten, how believable do you think my story is?

Thanks!

37 thoughts on “Fish Story

1. msjadeli April 3, 2019 / 12:14 pm

0 on believability, but I think you have just stumbled on a fitting response to Biden’s Mr. Handsyistic tendencies…

2. grogalot April 3, 2019 / 12:26 pm

This is why jock style bathers were invented! haha, hehe,… Damn that is no laughing matter.

3. sandmanjazz April 3, 2019 / 12:41 pm

Oooh nasty. I say 2 out of 10. I reckon its an amalgamation of several stories

4. ellenbest24 April 3, 2019 / 12:57 pm

I will give you 10 for fabrication imagination and fearfacation. But 3 for believability, because you probably did fish, but it was not that big, maybe bits of truth the sort most fishermen tell; eyewateringly imagined.

5. aguycalledbloke April 3, 2019 / 1:12 pm

I am impressed with the humour aspect of this tale of the pacu with their human like teeth, who clamped onto the man’s tackle, hell he didn’t need to use any bait apparently 🙂

Now there’s a yarn, that the Victorians would line up with their rats eating a man from the inside out!

6. Nova April 3, 2019 / 1:21 pm

I’m going to give this a 7, because that picture sure looks like human teeth. I am lucky to never know how painful your uncle had it lol.

7. Paula Light April 3, 2019 / 1:54 pm

One point cuz I like you, one point cuz of humor, and one point for imagination = 3!

Nice whopper! 😱😂

• Fandango April 3, 2019 / 2:29 pm

Well, three out of four ain’t bad. Oh wait, it’s three out of ten. Damn!

8. Marleen April 3, 2019 / 2:18 pm

First of all, gross! 10 — on grossness, not believability

9. rugby843 April 3, 2019 / 2:50 pm

Thanks for reminding me about putting on the voting. I mistakenly thought it was only Rory on the baby steps. But I added to my post story, thanks! And your story is so YOU! I think I’ll vote ten on the first part and one on the bite.😂

10. Sadje April 3, 2019 / 4:14 pm

A hilarious story, though not for your uncle. I would give a6

11. Dorinda Duclos April 3, 2019 / 7:37 pm

Since you’re known for rather colorful stories, I give it a 0, cause I know the truth 😉

12. All About Life April 4, 2019 / 1:09 am

I did go and Google pacu fish and, rather frighteningly, they are in fact real, teeth and all so you have to get 3 points for that. I imagine that testicles do bob in the water in a way that would be attractive to fish so that’s another 2 points. If it were down to entertainment value you’d get another 5 but it’s not so that’s your lot I’m afraid :O) xx

13. crushedcaramel April 4, 2019 / 2:54 am

How believable? I have no idea – but it was tragically comedy at it’s best, not for uncle though!

14. talesfromthemindofkristian April 4, 2019 / 3:35 am

I forgot I was supposed to rate it for believability.
    Well call me gullible but I will give this a 7 for believability and a 9 for pure entertainment.
    🙂

• Fandango April 4, 2019 / 7:17 am

Thanks, Kristian. I think yours is my highest believability score! 👏

• talesfromthemindofkristian April 4, 2019 / 7:42 am

I thought some of the markers were really harsh. I enjoyed the story and I found it quite believable. May be it was all a test so Rory could see which of us was the most gullible? LOL

15. leigha66 April 4, 2019 / 11:48 am

You did tell us to go look it up on the internet… that picture kind of gave “proof” but I am pretty skeptical … maybe a 6 out of 10. Good story!

16. Melanie B Cee April 7, 2019 / 11:14 am

A “5” because this one is half believable AND you provided a challenge. To google the “Pacu fish”. Now why would you do that if it weren’t sorta true. The whole nut cracking thing (balls, not actual nuts) is a bit out there IMHO.

• Fandango April 7, 2019 / 3:49 pm

But there have been documented cases!

• Melanie B Cee April 8, 2019 / 9:04 am

My thoughts on that are if some guy is dangling his bobs in the water, a LOT of fish might mistake them for food. But wow! What a fish!