Song Lyric Sunday — Minute By Minute

For this week’s Song Lyric Sunday theme, Jim Adams chose Minutes/Hours/Days/Weeks/Months. For my song, I am choosing “Minute By Minute” by the Doobie Brothers.

“Minute by Minute” was written by Michael McDonald and Lester Abrams and was originally released by the Doobie Brothers on their 1978 album Minute by Minute. The single was released in April 1979 and peaked at number 14 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. It was nominated for a Grammy Award for Song of the Year, but lost out to another Doobie Brothers song, “What a Fool Believes.”

Both of these Doobie Brothers songs leveraged what critics called the “smooth and suave vocal mastery” of lead singer, Michael McDonald. “Minute by Minute,” is recognized as one of the songs that reflected the band’s transformation to its light, soul-oriented sound.

The song is a simple one of resignation when the singer realizes that the girl he loves has lied to him and cheated on him, but “minute by minute” he tries to hold on, thinking that someday she’ll want him back, but by then he may be gone.

Here are the song’s lyrics.

Hey, don’t worry, I’ve been lied to
I’ve been here many times before
Girl, don’t you worry, I know where I stand
I don’t need this love, I don’t need your hand
I know I could turn, blink, and you’d be gone
Then I must be prepared any time to carry on
But minute by minute by minute by minute
I keep holding on
Oh, minute by minute by minute by minute
I keep holding on

You will stay just to watch me, darlin’
Wilt away on lies from you
Can’t stop the habit of livin’ on the run
I take it all for granted like you’re the only one
Livin’ on my own
Somehow that sounds nice
You think I’m your fool
Well, you may just be right

‘Cause minute by minute by minute by minute
I keep holding on
Oh, minute by minute by minute by minute
I keep holding on

Call my name and I’ll be gone
You’ll reach out and I won’t be there
Just my luck you’ll realize
You should spend your life with someone
You could spend your life with someone

Minute by minute by minute by minute
I’ll be holding on
Oh, minute by minute by minute by minute
I’ll be holding on…

17 thoughts on “Song Lyric Sunday — Minute By Minute

1. newepicauthor March 24, 2019 / 7:58 am

Nice song Dango. This is the first time that I ever watched the video and it made the song better.

• Fandango March 24, 2019 / 8:13 am

Steely Dan (obviously without Walter Becker) and the Doobie Brothers went on tour together last year, but Michael McDonald was, unfortunately, not included in the tour.

• Fandango March 24, 2019 / 11:59 am

Not during this tour, but I did see Steely Dan in concert when Becker was still alive. I never saw the Doobie Brothers perform live.

2. msjadeli March 24, 2019 / 10:14 am

The Doobies had some unforgettable songs. Blackwater is probably my favorite with that mantra at the end.

3. Mary B March 24, 2019 / 2:26 pm

Love the Doobie Brothers! I can’t believe I didn’t think of this one. Great choce!

• Marleen March 25, 2019 / 1:30 pm

I saw Santana… looks like it’s been twenty years, now. That sounds like a long time ago. And it is. Anyway, it was a very good concert.

I like the Doobies too, but haven’t seen them.

4. aisasami March 25, 2019 / 5:52 am

I know of the Doobie Brothers but never heard of this! I know want to listen to “What a Fool Believes”. It makes me nostalgic.