Fandango’s Provocative Question #19

FPQEach week I will pose what I think is a provocative question for your consideration. By provocative, I don’t mean a question that will cause annoyance or anger. Nor do I mean a question intended to arouse sexual desire or interest.

This week’s provocative question is a spinoff of a question that Melanie (Sparks From a Combustible Mind) asked in her last Share Your World post. Her question was:

“You find a book and begin to read it only to discover that it is about your life. You get to the point in the book that you are at now. Do you turn the page knowing that you will not be able to change the events to come?”

That question from Melanie got me thinking about the notion of fate and predestination. So here’s this week’s provocative question. Actually it’s a multi-part question.

“Do you believe in fate and/or predestination? If so, what or who is the source? If you do believe in predestination, is there anything anyone can do to change their predestined fate?”

And bonus: “If you believe God is the source, and God has already determined the future for each of us, why should people bother to pray?”

If you choose to participate, write a post with your response to the question. Once you are done, tag your post with #FPQ and create a pingback to this post if you are on WordPress. Or you can simply include a link to your post in the comments.

And most important, have fun.

24 thoughts on “Fandango’s Provocative Question #19

1. pensitivity101 March 20, 2019 / 3:55 am

I do believe in fate: Hubby and I were meant to be together as he used to go to some of the same places as me but on different nights, and the guy in front of him took my letter out of the friendship box when he was in the Falklands. Had we met all those years ago it may have been a different story as we were not the people we were when we met. We have grown together as a couple and appreciate what we have.

2. Irene March 20, 2019 / 4:30 am

I think more in terms of the “most likely outcome” so, statistically speaking, it would seem as predetermined, but whatever we do next will have an effect on what happens. The prewritten book made think of the Schroedinger’s cat paradox (cat in a box, dead or alive?) because just turning the page will by itself have an effect on the outcome, right? I do believe in observing and getting “signs” of what to do, but not as direct orders from God, because we humans do have free will.

3. Angel Jameson March 20, 2019 / 7:07 am

This will take some time to consider. Great questions.

• Fandango March 20, 2019 / 8:06 am

I’m looking forward to your take.

4. Marleen March 20, 2019 / 2:09 pm

I do not believe in predestination or fate. Yet, this question has been asked before; I answered it out of fun — as if there could be a book that had the rest of your life in it. But, actually, I read the question then as if the only parts that would be “set” would be the past… and anything very close in time to now if you went on reading beyond it. Thus, I said I would “turn the page” but not go much beyond. To me, knowing something about say this evening or tomorrow might help me to make a different decision. Or… I might be fine with what I would see. (I could just as well take it that reading for another few chapters would not make anything set either. Totally just a fun exercise.) There are things that happen around a person, though. A parent’s character is a lot like fate, but not the same. It would be helpful to be able to “read ahead.”

5. rugby843 March 20, 2019 / 4:56 pm

Very provocative indeed. I’ve leaned both ways in my life. Now I just do day to day. I think you can prevent some things and provoke some things by your actions. Things in my family have been hard the last few years, and I don’t know why. These things happen to religious people with lots of faith, so my question is why are they (persecuted)? A test? Surely a loving God would not be so cruel? A dilemma for me. I pretty much try to stay out of the way and be quiet….well maybe not here on the blog, but in my personal life. How about you, Fandango?

6. crushedcaramel March 20, 2019 / 5:11 pm

Such a fantastic question – I have a whole load of cake posts I need to work on – but I very much hope to have time to create a post on these questions.

• Marleen March 21, 2019 / 7:01 pm

I like your use, Melanie, of the word “asshat.” I was just saying to someone a couple days ago that he might want to consider there could be God but not “the Catholic god” or “the Hindu god” or any of those gods. I only said this to him because he was sort of picking on me, and I was trying to get it straight that I don’t believe along the lines of categories. I’ve spent my life analyzing and rejecting things I was supposed to believe but don’t… and arriving at beliefs that add up in my view. It can be bizarre to be spoken to as if I never gave anything a thought.

(I do know some people don’t think.)

I once asked someone whether he minded if I prayed for him (I knew he was agnostic but considerate and kind of “spiritual,” to pick a word). I think, from his face and body language, he actually liked that I said I had prayed for him; he said it didn’t bother him.

7. crushedcaramel March 25, 2019 / 7:34 pm

I have finally finished my post for your FPQ – and now I am shattered!!! It is scheduled to be published around 6am GMT but my pingbacks have not been working for ages – so when I have time, I will copy and paste the link to the post.

• crushedcaramel March 25, 2019 / 8:02 pm

I had a lot of cake to distract me – so it might be a bit muddled. But I think you raised fascinating questions and I did want to try to do a post. I am so tired that I had to stop editing it.

Way past my bed-time!

• Fandango March 25, 2019 / 8:08 pm

“I had a lot of cake to distract me.” Yeah, I think I gained 10 pounds just reading you bake-off posts.

8. crushedcaramel March 26, 2019 / 3:36 am

There we go, pingbacks are still not pinging back:

I just want to mention, I am always a little nervous when I do touch on topics that could be contrary to the cherished and treasured beliefs of others. I don’t want to be disrespectful of others. And I do respect that we all have free will over how we think, feel, believe and act. I did try to answer the questions raised to the best of my understanding, (always learning) but the last thing I would ever want to do is offend or upset others.

• Fandango March 26, 2019 / 7:23 am

I just read your post and I didn’t see how anything you wrote could be offensive to anyone. You were expressing your own deeply held beliefs and you did it without criticizing those who might not share your beliefs. By the way, please excuse the typos in my comment on your post. I just woke up and I only just started my first cup of coffee.

• crushedcaramel March 26, 2019 / 7:27 am

Thank you Fandango, it certainly is never my intention to make anyone else uncomfortable. To me blogging is fun really, and something for my family at a later date.