Trump Supporters Are a “Protected Class”

7837E4EB-491B-4F78-B540-7855D75EC2B4The Utah legislature introduced and passed a bill that would protect against discrimination based upon ancestry, race, gender, gender identity, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, and disability.

And that makes perfect sense, since blacks, LGBTQ people, and the disabled, the usual protected classes, are all what they are because they were either born that way or, in the case of disabilities, became that way through no fault of their own. That’s why it should be against the law to discriminate against them: they can’t help what race they are, what their sexual orientation is, or that they are disabled.

But here’s the kicker. The Utah legislature was able to pass that hate crime bill only after Republicans added right-wing conservatives as a protected class under the law. I kid you not.

Here’s a question to ponder. Are racists, homophobes, white nationalists, right-wing conservatives, and Trump supporters, like those other protected classes, born that way? Of course not. They consciously choose to be hateful and intolerant. So how can one justify including Trump supporters as a protected class? Are they truly “victims” of hate crimes and discrimination in the same way blacks and gays are?

As I pointed out in an earlier post, Trump has bragged that he has “the support of the police, the support of the military, the support of the Bikers for Trump….” Yes, it certainly sounds like Trump supporters and right-wing conservatives don’t need any extra protection under the law.

Wait, I take that back. Being a right-wing conservative who is a Trump supporter is a clear sign of a mental and emotional handicap.

26 thoughts on “Trump Supporters Are a “Protected Class”

1. Sadje March 17, 2019 / 11:54 am

I have a word for them but I don’t use that sort of language. Scumbags!

2. Asbestos Dust March 17, 2019 / 12:29 pm

With inclusive language like that, no wonder you’re considered the Party O’ Tolerance. I can see you’re going to make some real headway in appealing to anyone outside your ridiculous, guilt-ridden, white-bread, slactivist-hero, first-world problem, cartoon-liberal fantasy-land. Your self-flagellation is certainly beginning to appeal to me, for one. I gotta get me one of those Gucci sackcloth and ashes outfits — très branchée…

• Fandango March 17, 2019 / 1:18 pm

Yup, just as I suspected. It’s a mental handicap. No wonder you need protection.

3. Paula Light March 17, 2019 / 12:35 pm

It does seem ridiculous to make choices a protected class, but where does religion fall into that? Always has been a murky one too me. Wish we could just be tolerant but that’s just impossible.

• XingfuMama March 17, 2019 / 12:54 pm

With religion, the argument, as I understand it, is that people who truly believe don’t think it is a choice.

• Fandango March 17, 2019 / 1:20 pm

Well, I disagree. You can’t choose your race or gender, but you can choose you beliefs.

• XingfuMama March 17, 2019 / 1:46 pm

I don’t disagree with you, but I have known people I respect who didn’t feel that it is a choice. One example where this can cause genuine grief, and a lot of internal struggle, is in people who are homosexual, but also believe they have to be evangelical Christians. Also, many use what you just said to claim that homosexuality is a choice (e.g., Mike Pence).
          Just saying that it isn’t necessarily simple to sort out.

• Fandango March 17, 2019 / 9:34 pm

True, but being homosexual, despite what Mike Pence says, isn’t a choice, whereas one can choose to be an evangelical Christian. They were not born evangelical Christians, they were taught (or indoctrinated) to believe that way.

• Paula Light March 17, 2019 / 1:29 pm

Makes sense. I don’t really “choose” not to believe either ~ I just don’t.

• Fandango March 17, 2019 / 1:16 pm

Most people seem to embrace and stick with the religion they are born into, even though it is a choice. No one should be discriminated against because of their religious beliefs or lack thereof.

4. Suze March 17, 2019 / 12:48 pm

oh, that one will be appealed I am sure. What a disgusting thing to do. let’s just make racists and homophobes “protected” as a minority. NOT!

5. rugby843 March 17, 2019 / 1:24 pm

Every day a new disgusting report. His little veto now the worst. Can’t even (his) people see the 3 year old?

6. XingfuMama March 17, 2019 / 1:33 pm

On reading this I thought of the photo where two not-quite-sure-what-to-call-them’s were wearing t shirts that said “Better Russian than Democrat”.

There is no such thing as a “right-wing conservative”, the people who claim that moniker are, usually, anarchists. A true conservative has respect for the rule of law, due process, the constitution and other institutions, these people do not.
    I’d love to see people join together to cease to use the word “right”, which has a second meaning of “correct”, be used to describe these people.

7. newepicauthor March 17, 2019 / 2:18 pm

I don’t think that “they can’t help what they are” is the real point, as it should be “their is nothing wrong with what they are” as being different should not be a crime. When Trump was running, I told myself that if he wins that I would move out of the country, because I was getting the wrong vibe from him, but he did fool me also as I thought that he would not be a good president, but I figured that since he was a financial genius, that he would balance the budget. He only made that worse just like the swamp that he promised to drain and now I feel that he should be the one to leave the country hanging his head in shame as the biggest failure ever. Eventually people realized that Nixon was a liar, but the Republicans around these days just keep swallowing his bull shit.

• Fandango March 17, 2019 / 9:38 pm

If he wins re-election, that might be all I need to become an ex-pat somewhere else in the world.

8. Marleen March 17, 2019 / 4:52 pm

I had to tell myself, today, that a biker with an open-carry gun on his hip at a local brewery isn’t necessarily a Trump guy on a hair-trigger. (I’m on a road trip.)

[We are seeing signs of fascism, but some armed {and out} people might not be backing it, backing that (Trump) ethos? He doesn’t get to just claim them.]

I agree it doesn’t “go togther” to say the tough people are his people, and yet that they are the real butter-cups with precious thoughts-n-feelings.

• Marleen March 17, 2019 / 4:59 pm

…road trip, in Oklahoma now.

9. Christine Bolton March 17, 2019 / 7:59 pm

😡 What kind of crazy world are we living in? Racism is taught. Nobody is born that way. I cannot believe those kind of people could be protected under the law … oh wait …Utah. Uh huh

10. Asbestos Dust March 18, 2019 / 7:32 am

Ah, the bugaboo of identity politics. I do love watching it when leftist do-gooders get their own zero-content bullshit stuffed into various orifices. ‘Course, that’s me, being all mentally handicapped and shit, as Fandango would have it, and therefore utterly unable to distinguish brilliant, insightful governmental intervention from political hackery. Which handicap, by the way, is already a protected class. In fact, Fandango using it as an insult is a stain on my prideful handicappery. Very un-PC. You’re going to need a couple of days in the Peepuls’ Reeducation Center to get your head right, boy. Not that I’m personally complaining. Us handicapped folk are very understanding, doncha know. Practically superior beings. Ask around.

• Fandango March 18, 2019 / 8:04 am

“O wad some Pow’r the giftie gie us to see oursels as others see us!”

11. Copy Chick March 18, 2019 / 12:13 pm

Wow another day another outer limits realization that we truly are being transformed into another entity altogether. Now, I don’t think MAGA is a ‘thing’ that ever should be since Make America White Again is not what I subscribe to ….I would just like to see our land have common sense, tolerance, and for goodness sake, know a loony when you see one and not nestle it into the Oval office.