The Times They Are a Changin’

0D216C8C-DFA5-494E-9254-7841437B24D4I’m really sick of this semiannual nonsense of changing clocks either forwards or backwards by an hour in the spring and the fall. It screws up my circadian rhythm (i.e., body clock). It’s now Daylight Saving Time, which is supposed to give us more hours of daylight, right? But for me, it’s just the opposite.

I typically get into bed between 10 and 11 each night and, before we changed the clocks at 2 a.m. Sunday morning, I would typically wake up between 6:30 and 7 each morning. But since the clocks changed, my nights have been longer and my days have been shorter.

How so, you ask? Well, my 10-11 o’clock bedtime hasn’t changed. But now I’m waking up between 7:30 and 8 each morning. So instead of being “up and at ‘em” for 15 to 16 1/2 hours a day, I’m now only up for 14 to 15 1/2 hours a day.

And that means less “awake” time to blog. Oh yeah, and to eat, to read, to watch TV, and to do whatever the hell else I do with my waking hours. I don’t like it.

And I’m not alone, either. Last November, California voters overwhelmingly supported a ballot initiative to end this spring up/fall back craziness. Nearly 60% of Californians voted in favor of leaving the state in Daylight Saving Time all year round.

And I am actually excited to say that, for the first time ever, Donald Trump and I actually see eye-to-eye on something. Woo hoo!608eedf5-fae8-4243-a471-0ca14e380c90.jpeg

16 thoughts on “The Times They Are a Changin’

1. ArtisanX March 12, 2019 / 6:55 pm

Writing about the same thing relieves me to know I am not the only one!

2. XingfuMama March 12, 2019 / 7:07 pm

It has always been a hoax. The number of hours of sunlight doesn’t change.
    I live in the north and it has always seemed backwards: in the summer sunset is after nine and in the winter it sets around 4. Seems like having it later in winter would be a real boon to commuters and in the summer it would be easier to get up for work if it set earlier.
    But just sticking with one system would be better. Our state legislators are thinking about not switching back this fall.

• Fandango March 12, 2019 / 8:09 pm

I agree. It doesn’t make sense and it’s a huge inconvenience.

3. Marilyn Armstrong March 12, 2019 / 7:12 pm

Massachusetts is trying to get all of New England to sign on to DST all year round. We’d really like to get the whole east coast on the same schedule.

• Fandango March 12, 2019 / 9:52 pm

I’m actually getting more sleep but I then feel like I’m running behind all day long.

4. blindzanygirl March 12, 2019 / 10:07 pm

WOW re you and Donald Trump! I hate the clocks changing too. It’s a bind, and if you forget to do it…………!

5. John Holton March 13, 2019 / 1:52 pm

Indiana did without Daylight Saving Time for years (except the counties that had to stay in sync with Chicago, because of the people who worked there) and were none the worse for it. We went on year-round DST during the ’70’s and it was great. For years they tried to convince us that DST saved energy, despite mounds of empirical evidence to the contrary. Maybe instead of changing clocks we should change schedules.

• Fandango March 13, 2019 / 2:54 pm

Every frickin’ time, twice a year.