Urban Living

7C4323DA-5C77-4C5E-8548-F06D2C361FECOur cat is an indoor cat. We rarely let him outside even though our backyard is completely fenced in. And that’s because, on those rare occasions when we do let him out, he somehow manages to find and catch a rat, reminding us that we are urban dwellers. Living in the city means sharing your world with rats, mice, and raccoons. And, where we live, near Golden Gate Park, occasional coyotes.

For some reason that I will never really understand, once our cat has caught and killed his prey, he feels compelled to bring it into our house and present us with his gift, as if to say, “Look at what I brought you. Aren’t you proud of me?”

The first few times it happened, my wife freaked out. However, now that it’s happened a handful of times, she will just nonchalantly call over to me and say, “Honey, look what the cat dragged in.”

Written for Teresa’s Story Starter Challenge #9.47EBAE84-147D-4BC8-8734-BBB9A2E1A498

22 thoughts on “Urban Living

1. The Haunted Wordsmith March 11, 2019 / 12:49 pm

lol…our outdoor cats will bring us gopher guts and mole heads (and the occasional pigeon). I think I would prefer cleaning up the whole thing instead.

2. pensitivity101 March 11, 2019 / 12:56 pm

The family cat from years ago was a mouser and would line up his catch in order of size on the back mat. They were never bloody or dismembered, but very dead.

3. Paula Light March 11, 2019 / 1:15 pm

Gatsby has never gone out, so all he’s caught is spiders. Such a deprived kitty.

4. Melanie B Cee March 11, 2019 / 1:49 pm

I understand that cats bring you their kill as a sign of affection. I don’t know that positively, no cats for a long while, and then we had them only briefly. I’m allergic, but hubby thought they’d keep down the rodent population. He died, and the kitties got re-homed.

5. Marilyn Armstrong March 11, 2019 / 2:20 pm

Cats — and terriers — feel that you do not get nearly enough fresh meat. This is actually a gift to you. Fresh meat. It’s also a bit of a brag: “Look what I killed!”

6. Marleen March 11, 2019 / 7:36 pm

I find it creepy to live around rats. But it is good if they’re kept out of doors, never to be seen. I’d rather not think about them at all.

A while back, we had a pair of farm-style cats — mostly black but with a little bit of white fur — out in our yard. We kept their food and water bowls outside too. They would kill mice and an occasional bird. Then, they would bring the corpses somewhere near their bowls. After some time, opossums started figuring out there was regular food.

The cats put up with this for a while. When my husband shot an opossum or two (but not near the bowls), the cats decided they could kill opposums, as well, plus skunks. I’m glad they didn’t bring those to the bowls, nor near the house.

As that area developed, yes, the mice got bigger… or they might be been… ugh.

• Marleen March 13, 2019 / 12:14 am

[* might’ve been (not might be been)]

7. WTG March 12, 2019 / 9:15 pm

It’s always fun when they bring one in and it’s still alive. And runs or flies off. In the house. Wheeeeeeee!

• Fandango March 12, 2019 / 9:51 pm

Fortunately, the ones my cat had dragged in were pretty done for.

• WTG March 12, 2019 / 11:34 pm

Mine apparently likes to bring me gifts that are still breathing. Ughh.

• Marleen March 13, 2019 / 1:13 am

It’s the thought that counts.

• WTG March 13, 2019 / 12:42 pm

Hard not to wonder what the dang beast is thinking!!

• Marleen March 13, 2019 / 1:22 pm

I’m sure it is.

8. leigha66 March 19, 2019 / 9:46 am

We have had many cats through the years. One of the worst “gifts” the cats gave us years ago was the remains of a bunny… I heard the attack and will never forget how rabbits scream.