How Does Anyone Think This Is a Good Idea?

A339CBA7-4D49-41F9-BA84-CCE3C2DEFD5FKentucky requires people to get a permit before they can carry a concealed firearm in the state. To do that, they have to undergo a background check, complete some gun safety training, and pay a $60 fee.

Personally, I am not a fan of concealed carry laws, but at least those who, for whatever reason, feel the need to walk around with a concealed handgun do have go through a background check and get some training.

Wait! Hold the presses.

Legislation that would let people carry concealed guns in Kentucky without first getting a permit is on its way to becoming law.

On Wednesday, the Kentucky state senate passed Senate Bill 150, allowing permitless carry in the state. Despite the fact that the Kentucky State Fraternal Order of Police, along with several other law enforcement agencies, was against the bill, citing safety concerns, the measure, which is backed by the NRA, passed the Kentucky Houset today by a 60 to 37 vote.

The bill would allow concealed deadly weapons to be carried by persons age 21 and over — without a license — in same locations where concealed carry license holders may carry them, is now heading to the governor’s desk. And he is expected to sign it into law.

Can someone please tell me why anyone would think that this is a good idea?

92 thoughts on “How Does Anyone Think This Is a Good Idea?

1. Melanie B Cee March 1, 2019 / 1:27 pm

<—- not a gun fan (and NRA advocates? Keep your rotten eggs and such in your pockets). I don't give two figs if someone wants a gun, that they've gotten legally (*snicker*), I do mind that some really incredibly unhinged people get their hands on guns and then do something unthinkable. Myself (unhinged a bit) will NEVER have one because I might just do something unthinkable. Plus I can't shoot. Idaho made that concealed carry WITHOUT A PERMIT thing law a while back I believe. Glad I don't live up there..

• Fandango March 1, 2019 / 2:16 pm

Free speech doesn’t kill 33,000+ Americans every year or result in almost daily mass shootings in our country.

• bottomlesscoffee007 March 1, 2019 / 2:18 pm

Hmmm, how many lives are lost to abortion? As you must know, horsepower kills more every year, than firearms. Automobiles, Fandango are far deadlier and cause much more death, destruction and murder than firearms do.

• Fandango March 1, 2019 / 2:23 pm

But anyone who drives an automobile must have a license and be in a registered vehicle in a highly regulated industry. And abortion? Really? Do you seriously want to get into a discussion about when life begins?

• Fandango March 1, 2019 / 2:26 pm

Besides, the the purpose of the automobile is to provide transportation. The purpose of a firearm is to shoot and kill or maim.

• Fandango March 1, 2019 / 3:16 pm

If fewer people had access to guns, there would be less reason to have a gun for defense.

• bottomlesscoffee007 March 1, 2019 / 3:58 pm

Hmmm, how would a woman level the field against an attacker? Are we all the same size, the same strength? Do we all possess the same abilities when it comes to fighting off an assaulter?

• Fandango March 1, 2019 / 5:37 pm

Pepper spray. My wife carries it around when she walks the dog early each morning. Of course, if some guy had a gun and shot her from a distance, her pepper spray wouldn’t do much good, would it?

• bottomlesscoffee007 March 1, 2019 / 6:04 pm

Have you ever been trained or been sprayed with pepper spray? It’s quite inefficient actually. It’s an ok deterrent, not really sufficient though. The stuff they sell to civilians is actually quite watered down from what the military and law enforcement uses.

Have you or her ever trained with pepper spray? In a stressful situation, fine motor skills are often impossible unless the muscle memory is built in.

It’s good she carries it though Fandango. It’s better than nothing.

• Fandango March 1, 2019 / 6:29 pm

Yes, it’s a deterrent and it’s better than nothing and it’s not fatal.

2. msjadeli March 1, 2019 / 1:34 pm

Fandango, in MI, there is already an “open carry”, where anyone — anyone! — can walk around with a gun openly and doesn’t need a permit. Where the licensing comes in is when you want a license to *conceal* a weapon. I guess the rationale behind it is if some asshole sees you are packing they might not want to mess with you, but if your weapon is hidden they might think you are fair game. How open carry and CPL plays itself out in MI is that it is only rarely you ever see anyone openly carrying. The people I know who are obsessed with 2nd amendment are the ones most likely to do it — just to prove they can — and are probably the least wanted ones you want doing it. The police are deathly afraid of everyone walking around with guns — with good reason!

• Fandango March 1, 2019 / 11:00 pm

I really don’t get all these laws that permit either open carry or concealed carry. It just seems like it’s asking for trouble.

• msjadeli March 1, 2019 / 11:33 pm

Oh, it is. Big trouble. From what I have observed, it is a great rarity that anyone takes them up on it. I do know groups of MAGAs (back when they were called something else) would organize times where they would go places as a group, all packin. Let’s pray it stays a rarity. Concealed carry is way more concerning to me, as you just don’t know if someone is packin or not.

3. Paula Light March 1, 2019 / 2:27 pm

Great! Everyone who wants to run around with guns in their pockets should move to KY and stay there.

4. JT Twissel March 1, 2019 / 2:41 pm

No background check? No licensing? What do the politicians in Kentucky use for brains?

• JT Twissel March 1, 2019 / 3:17 pm

The funny thing is most low and middle income gun owners do not belong the NRA and state is actually losing the money they would have gotten from licensing fees. So the gun companies are the ones winning. The people of the state are the losers in more ways than one.

5. James Pyles March 1, 2019 / 2:56 pm

I don’t know about that, but I was slightly freaked out for a second or two when I saw a man leaving a local supermarket with a handgun on his hip. Open carry is perfectly legal here in Idaho so he wasn’t breaking any laws. Many years ago, I happened to be in Idaho City, which is a small town about an hour’s drive to Boise. I was talking with one of the residents, who said that Idaho City has the largest number of bars per capita in the state, plus everyone carries a handgun. They did finally make it illegal to take your beer outside the bar and walk around. Imagine a bunch of half drunk people all wearing loaded guns.

• Fandango March 1, 2019 / 3:12 pm

So it’s illegal to walk around outside with a beer in Idaho, but it’s perfectly legal to walk around outside (or inside) with a concealed weapon. WTF, James?

• Marleen March 2, 2019 / 8:02 am

Reminds me of the shooter at Margerie-Stoneman-Douglas(sp?). He was too young to get a beer, but old enough to legally get a gun. There was a conversation on one of the “tide” podcasts where it was said those kids (the survivors) — I’m paraphrasing — shouldn’t have anything to say about guns or the laws. The idea was that the kids in high school are too young to own guns and should shut up. First of all, I’m not sure they are too young in Florida; There are states where five-year-olds get guns for their birthdays (and I’m not sure five is even “the” age as there is no age specified in some states). Second, if they are too young in Florida, then there goes the argument out the window as to supposedly holding esteem for the first amendment. Supposedly people will lose their first amendment rights after losing second amendment rights? Either the fanatics themselves actually are saying that you don’t have, or they (the fanatics) don’t want you to have, first amendment rights if you don’t have a gun or they’re not thinking it through and just use things to say because they are fanatics.

• Fandango March 2, 2019 / 8:08 am

First and Second Amendment rights are independent of one another and trying to link them together is apples and oranges.

• Marleen March 2, 2019 / 8:19 am

I agree.

Also, There was a program of teenagers using guns inside the school (a jrotc-nra nexus). If those students had to put up with that (and then the attack) or any students are threatened with the possibility of that being in their school(s) hanging over their heads… I say anyone who proposes that those kids shouldn’t be listened to is a jerk if not a fool (or both).

• Marleen March 2, 2019 / 8:28 am

I’m vaguely remembering Florida allowed/allows the type of gun the shooter got but not some other type at his age.

• James Pyles March 2, 2019 / 8:23 am

I think it’s illegal to walk outside holding a beer while armed, but I’d have to check the details. Oh, and in Idaho, you do need a permit to walk about with a concealed weapon, but you need no permit to walk around with an unconcealed weapon. The man I mentioned above had his firearm in plain sight. Welcome to the wild, wild west. I should say that it’s pretty rare to see this, though.

6. Sadje March 1, 2019 / 4:40 pm

Only a moron! Sorry if anyone thinks that it is a good idea. But I am entitled to my opinion.

7. Suze March 1, 2019 / 5:14 pm

it seems that now anyone residing in Oklahoma can carry a concealed weapon at any time and in any business or building without a permit. The only place they can not take a concealed weapon is….wait for it………..the courthouse, the police station and the radio station! Not one word about schools, hospitals, etc.

• Marleen March 2, 2019 / 11:16 pm

That post about Oklahoma got me looking into something else. [Its also good to know, since I am intending to go to Oklahoma this month. So… thanks, Suze.]

……….

Steven Bucci, a military expert for the Heritage Foundation and former Army colonel, told PolitiFact that the policy about firearms existed for decades before Clinton, or Bush for that matter.

“As far back as when I joined the military in 1973, and probably further back, you have never been able to carry firearms, privately owned or government, on military installations. You always had to register it with the MP’s and keep them locked in the arms rooms,” he said, referring to military police. …. “No one ‘disarmed’ the military — the military itself prefers to manage good order and discipline by not having everyone armed,” he told PolitiFact.

… Then-Rep. Steve Stockman, R-Texas, introduced a bill in 2013 to repeal the Defense Department directive and prohibit the military from instituting any restrictions on guns. But it never received a vote.

……….

8. All About Life March 1, 2019 / 11:56 pm

My opinion, for what it’s worth, is that this is madness. I know all the arguments about cars killing people or intent to kill will be there with or without guns and the bad guys have them so why shouldn’t we BUT guns being accepted as the norm surely can’t be right, can it?
    A gun has no other purpose than to maim or kill.
    Unlike a knife, you don’t have to get up close and personal to use one.
    A squeeze on a trigger and death is on its way instantly; no pause for reflection or consideration that maybe you’re making a mistake.
    Everyone hates that the bad guys have guns but will the bad guys be any less bad if the good guys are armed?
    The 2nd amendment says: “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed” and yet this has come to mean that anyone who wants a gun should be allowed to have one. Ordinary citizens are not or shouldn’t be part of a Militia, should they?
    Has no-one learned anything from the mass shootings that have occurred in the USA over the last few years? From the children dying because they got their hands on Daddy’s precious gun? From the children who are terrified to go to school or, at the age of 14 or 15, are suffering from PTSD as a result of gun violence? Yes, the individual that fired a gun will always be at fault but, I wonder, would he have killed at all or so many if guns were not so readily available.
    Sorry this was a bit of a rant but I really don’t understand people’s obsession with hanging on to an ancient ‘right’ when so many people are dying from gun violence.

• Fandango March 2, 2019 / 7:35 am

Your “rant” is perfect. I wholeheartedly agree and couldn’t have expressed it better.

• Marleen March 2, 2019 / 8:11 am

Another aspect of the kids developing PTSD is the fact so many of them have to participate in shooter drills (like practicing with a fire drill).

9. rugby843 March 2, 2019 / 8:56 am

Wow, another hornet’s nest with lots of opinions. My dad always carried a gun under the seat of his car. He was born in the Wild West in 1908. He was a rancher, it was a given. I never gave it a thought. As a child we had many “hunters” who came on our property with no knowledge of guns or what a deer actually looked like, putting our farm animals in danger. I went hunting with him one time, but he never shot anything. We just watched the wildlife. My own family doesn’t hunt.

It’s not unusual here in WY to see guns, gun shows, shops or carriers, no license needed.

However, if you want to fish, you have to have a license. Anyone see anything wrong with those two facts?

• Marleen March 2, 2019 / 9:44 am

The right to eat fish isn’t one of the ten commandments. 😏

• Marleen March 2, 2019 / 3:42 pm

Hunting (with guns or crossbows or the like or traps) is much more dangerous than fishing with a net or pole and constant supervision of the equipment, generally, at least for individual or family purposes (not huge commercial purposes).

10. msjadeli March 2, 2019 / 11:44 am

I agree with the right to own firearms, but I don’t agree you should be able to carry in public, openly or concealed, without a comprehensive screening that would gain an approval for a license. That screening should include criminal (assaultive convictions like domestic violence, assault & battery, PPO/restraining orders, etc. would automatically exclude a license) and mental health (any history of chronic mental illness/treatment is an automatic license exclusion) aspects. An aspect of gun ownership that hasn’t been brought up yet is the statistics on the number of people who use guns to commit suicide. Each citizen has a right to own a weapon on their own property, but beyond that there needs to be stringent restrictions for the public good.

• James Pyles March 5, 2019 / 1:13 pm

Yeah. I thought so, too. Oh, since you blog a ridiculous amount, I had to dig way, way back in your posts to find this one again. 😉

• Fandango March 5, 2019 / 2:14 pm

Hey, I only posted this 4 days ago! 😏

11. leigha66 March 9, 2019 / 9:39 pm

I know here in Iowa you have to have a permit to buy (which involves some kind of a background check), then take a class (but it can be done online so I see lots of ways around that testing) and then you get your permit to carry at the sheriff’s office. I think it is more dangerous to carry. If you are in an active shooter situation trying to be the “hero” will either get you shot by the gunman or mistaken as the gunman and shot by police. I see no winner in the situation. Thorough background checks should be mandatory nationwide… but those who want guns bad enough will always find ways around the legal system sadly.