Dropping Like Flies

69473D7F-D573-4B5A-8F30-73A6CC5B8C0FYes, they’re dropping like flies, as opposed, I suppose, to flying like flies. I’ve noticed that some long time bloggers who have been hosting prompts have thrown in the towel. Scott Bailey ended his Scotts Daily Prompt. Also, Roger Shipp announced yesterday that his Daily Addictions prompt is ending, along, apparently, with his Flash Fiction for the Purposeful Practitioner prompt.

Priceless Joy has also announced that she is retiring her Flash Fiction for Aspiring Writers prompt. And I noticed that Bikurgurl didnt publish her 100 Word Wednesday prompt today. I don’t know if she just missed this week or if she, too, is calling it quits.

Have blogging prompts reached the saturation point? Are there too many word and photo prompts out there? I have two: My daily Fandango’s One-Word Challenge and my weekly Fandango’s Provocative Question. But I also participate regularly in a bunch of other word and photo prompts.

Anyway, I was thinking, which is always a dangerous thing, whether I should start a new prompt, “Fandango’s Flash Fiction.” It would be a photo prompt, like Priceless Joy’s, Roger Shipp’s, and Bikurgurl’s. I’d post it on a day that doesn’t have a bunch of other prompts. Maybe Mondays or Fridays. And I’d impose a 200 word limit.

But before I do, I have some questions. Are you sick of writing prompts? Are there already too many out there? Or is there room for one more? So basically, the question is this: should I start yet another writing prompt based upon a photo or image, or is this a terrible idea and I should just leave well enough alone?

Please let me know in your comments.

Thanks.

25 thoughts on “Dropping Like Flies

1. theceaselessreaderwrites February 13, 2019 / 11:49 am

Someone needs to fill that growing void, Fandango, might as well be you. I rarely have time these days to participate in prompts regularly but always enjoy them when I’m able. Go for it!

2. pensitivity101 February 13, 2019 / 12:00 pm

I noticed Bikurgurl’s prompt was missing today too, as was Nekneeraj’s MLMM Tuesday Photo yesterday. I enjoyed the FFftPP and FFfAW prompts and will miss doing them. In fact, most of my blog posts now are from prompts or challenges! There are loads out there, but I have my favourites and know I do too many. It’s addictive, like chocolate!

3. Cyranny February 13, 2019 / 12:14 pm

There’s no such thing as too many prompts, if you ask me… People who don’t want to participate can just skip over these posts 🙂 And it gives bloggers who enjoy prompts the chance to try a new one… I say you should give it a try, if you feel like it 🙂

4. Sadje February 13, 2019 / 12:17 pm

Yes, do. Your words challenges are always good and you should do the flash fiction too.

5. myforever77 February 13, 2019 / 12:21 pm

I enjoy the prompts, just a suggestion if you do a photo prompt, could you also allow for either we use the photo you put up or one of our own, perhaps the one of our own could be similar to the one you put in theme and continuity and yet some variation.

6. Christine Bolton February 13, 2019 / 12:24 pm

I love prompts, as you probably know, and I rarely miss one. I am however enjoying photo prompts much more lately so your idea of a weekly photo prompt is a good idea. 🙂

7. rugby843 February 13, 2019 / 12:28 pm

I say go for it. I am often inspired by a photo more than a word.

8. Paula Light February 13, 2019 / 12:48 pm

Teresa has been ending some as well. I understand why the bloggers end them when they get so popular ~ you feel obligated to visit anyone who links back and that’s so time-consuming. The Daily Prompt never visited, which makes sense because they had so many participants.

I love prompts. They help keep my blog writing focused as opposed to jabbering on about some dumb personal incident. I don’t think I’ve missed any of the FPQs since they’re my favorite. I work on the others randomly as the mood strikes and time permits. Photos are very hit and miss for me ~ really gotta feel it, usually something sci-fi works.

Go for it! 😀

9. Renard Moreau February 13, 2019 / 12:49 pm

🙂 There are bloggers who appreciate the prompts and you are filling that well-needed void (And, that is why your fellow bloggers love you).

10. blindzanygirl February 13, 2019 / 1:19 pm

Personally I would like you to do it Fandango. I find it difficult keeping flitting from place to place. I want to join in if you do it, mproblem for me is being blind, and so many of the promprs are photos so I kind of feel a bit weird. But maybe if I could get hubby to describe the ohoto to me. But my respinse may not be as good as it could be,vwith not being able to see it. I lovevdoing Flash Fiction, so yay, go for it

11. newepicauthor February 13, 2019 / 1:32 pm

I went rogue and I am doing my own thing now. I was never a big fan of word limits, but many bloggers like these challenges. I wish the best of luck to you, what ever you decide to do.

12. JT Twissel February 13, 2019 / 2:12 pm

Most of the bloggers I follow love those writing prompts. I find them hard to keep up with and generally only participate if I get inspired.

13. Hélène - Willow Poetry February 13, 2019 / 2:42 pm

I love prompts, they keep me writing and meeting other bloggers. There will never too many prompts. People have a choice to do them or not, or pick the ones they like, or none at all. Just like there are thousands of sites at WordPress. We pick and chose who we follow. Go for it.

14. Michael February 13, 2019 / 3:22 pm

I agree with so many others, the prompts are great for motivating you to write. My only concern with photo prompts is they can be limiting, but that could be me….an image of a duck on a pond doesn’t do a lot to inspire me, but there are others who find such images the source of great writing. Give it a go. See what happens, you have gathered quite a few followers around you.

• Fandango February 13, 2019 / 3:28 pm

If I decide to go forward, I will studiously avoid images of ducks on ponds.

• Michael February 13, 2019 / 3:28 pm

LOL….I look forward to what you come up with…

15. crushedcaramel February 13, 2019 / 3:52 pm

There are a lot!!
    I am struggling to keep up I admit. I have started to respond more to photo prompts or questions rather than just a word prompt.
    I do appreciate those who provide these prompts, I just cant keep up with them all. So I am more likely to choose the ones that inspire me the most.

16. aguycalledbloke February 13, 2019 / 4:20 pm

Go for it – there is always a need for prompts, because there are always bloggers who love doing them 🙂

In truth l wouldn’t have thought you needed prompting? Just do it surely, it’ll either work or not? 🙂

17. wideeyedwanderingspoonie February 13, 2019 / 6:07 pm

I love prompts, especially photo prompts. My personal preference is the weekly prompts where we basically have a week to respond. Daily prompts are difficult for me because my schedule is sometimes erratic. So I say, go for it I’m in!

18. Melanie B Cee February 19, 2019 / 10:43 am

I’m not sure how I missed this post, but last week was a pretty grim week overall. I’d say, in response to your questions,

There is room for one more, particularly from someone like yourself who will (no doubt) choose photos or pictures guaranteed to make the responder THINK. Just no more T-dump pics, ok? The very sight of that orangutan wearing a ‘male human ((the guy AIN’T a man, he’s a pod alien)) suit is making me want to puke. Not your problem of course.
    YES YOU SHOULD start a photo/image prompt. I’ll come play along, on the days I can. There are some other tiny considerations right now that take up most of my time, but soon they’ll stop being a factor, I’m thinking.

19. leigha66 February 27, 2019 / 8:57 pm

I would eventually like to try a photo prompt, but with taking care of Dad I got so far behind. I WILL catch up eventually and maybe give it a go. Glad to hear you started it already!