Why I Don’t Answer My Own Questions

Ursula, at An Upturned Soul, asked me a question in a post that included her response to my weekly prompt, Fandango’s Provocative Question. This week’s question was, “does size matter?” She asked, “Do you believe that size matters, Fandango? Please explain your response.”

And Melanie at Sparks From a Combustible Mind, commented, “I don’t see YOUR thoughts on this Mr. Fandango. What say YOU???”

Okay, those are fair criticisms. Let me start off by saying that I view my role in posting these questions as soliciting the thoughts of others on the topic of the question. I certainly have my own opinions, but I don’t think it’s my place, as the person posing the questions, to offer up my own answers. My interest is learning what the blogging community thinks, not what I think.

Second, I don’t want to influence how others might respond to the question by answering it myself. I know that readers here on WordPress have their own reasoned opinions on provocative matters, but, given that Donald Trump is the POTUS, it’s clear to me that many Americans (around 40%, anyway) are susceptible to the wild rantings of a demented moron and are apparently easily swayed by the expressed opinions of others.

Third, as I read the responses that people post in their own blogs or in the comments on my post, most have already expressed opinions that I share as well, so why pile on with an answer to the question that someone else has already posted?

And one last comment. I am concerned that when I ask a question like “Do you believe that size matters?” some might simply respond with either “yes” or “no.” And so I add “Please explain your response” or “Please elaborate.”

I hope that sufficiently answers the question of why I don’t answer my own FPQ questions.

For what it’s worth, my answer to the question of whether size matters would be that it depends upon the context. In some cases, size doesn’t matter at all, whereas in other cases, it matters a lot.

12 thoughts on “Why I Don’t Answer My Own Questions

1. Marilyn Armstrong February 8, 2019 / 5:52 pm

Yeah, I can see why you wouldn’t want to answer it for any number of reasons, none of which has to do with not wanting to sway anyone’s opinion. You sway opinions all the time in other posts. So MY guess is that you don’t want to offend anyone. Because when a woman asks a man “Do these pants/dress/culottes make my ass/hips/stomach look big/huge/ pregnant” no SANE man will answer that question. He will run screaming from the room before he will answer and I don’t blame him one bit.

Because we all KNOW if those pants/dress/culottes make our ass look fat/huge/mountainous, so if we are asking, we’re looking for either a lie or a fight — or both.

• Fandango February 8, 2019 / 9:42 pm

Actually it’s not because I am worried about offending anyone. I know from some of the comments on my posts about Trump, politics, and religion, that I’ve offended some people with my outspoken opinions. And when it comes to answering questions that other bloggers have posed, I answer them without hesitate. But I honestly don’t want to influence how other bloggers might respond to questions I pose by posting my own thoughts about those questions, although I will sometimes explain what brought me to askthe question in the first place. And that’s the truth!

2. Sadje February 8, 2019 / 6:21 pm

She asked a valid question. You can respond to your own questions at the end of the week. Because we also want to know what you think! 👍

3. anupturnedsoul February 9, 2019 / 1:28 am

It wasn’t a criticism either.

You answered your own question exactly as I thought you would. “It depends” in this context is basically the same as a “Yes” or a “No”.

• Fandango February 9, 2019 / 7:34 am

True. But if I were to have written a full post in answer to that question, I would have “explained” what I meant by context by giving examples where size does matter and where it doesn’t.

• Fandango February 9, 2019 / 7:42 am

I don’t know about context, but I like the contents. 😱

• Melanie B Cee February 9, 2019 / 1:48 pm

Y’all are naughty boys, you KNOW that right? Bra size was described to me thusly (by my husband and he had visual aids in the form of paper cartoons that he had collected)…

Cup size: A – wee, but pleasin’ to the eye
        B – Apples. Everyone loves apples.
        C – Just an ample handful – just right. The golden standard of boob size.
        D – If one likes largish cantaloupes, one is right at home here

The chart I saw didn’t go bigger. Me? I think the girls who have girls that are DD or larger probably have really bad backs. Carrying those things around gets tiresome.

4. Melanie B Cee February 9, 2019 / 1:45 pm

That was the PERFECT answer in my opinion. Context is key in the question of size. And having said that, I’ll explain why I asked where your answer(s) were/was. Recently (and damned if I can remember WHERE) I read that it’s polite to answer questions you may pose to others. Polite to whom I’m not sure. And some questions (such as provocative ones) do need input BEFORE one (asking) spreads their impressions around. Good on ya.

• Fandango February 9, 2019 / 3:26 pm

Thanks for understanding, Melanie!