Tell The Story — Half Time

1D95B909-C1C9-4B4E-90E1-DA9EB276F4BBRory, aka A Guy Called Bloke, has tagged me to participate in the “Tell the Story” challenge. And he graciously offered up the picture above as fodder for my story. So here goes.

“I know you’re not real,” Richard said.

“Of course I’m real,” the winged, green dragon sitting on a pile of four old books said. “You conjured me up, you know.”

“I did no such thing,” Richard objected.

The dragon cocked its head and let out a sigh, a little bit of smoke escaping from its mouth. “You were reading Lord of the Rings for the third time, I believe, and you thought to yourself that you’d whip my ass if I ever showed up in the real world. So, here I am. Time to put your money where your mouth is, buster.”

“You’re Smaug?” Richard said. “You’re a lot smaller and less fearsome than I thought you’d be.”

“Well you’re no Gandalf, yourself, you know,” Smaug said. “You want fearsome?” Smaug shot out a flamethrower-like blast of fire from his mouth and then started coughing. “Dammit, this is all your fault. You imagined me to be more toy-like than like Tolkien’s Smaug.”

“I’m sorry, little Smaug,” Richard said. “I guess, in hindsight, I probably shouldn’t have taken that tab of blotter acid before I sat down and started reading.”

“True,” Smaug said. “That stuff can be pretty tricky. I mean here you are having a conversation with a dragon that you hallucinated.”

“Oh damn,” Richard said.

“What’s the matter, buddy?” Smaug asked.

“I missed the whole first half of the Super Bowl sitting here and talking with some acid-induced dragon,” Richard said.

“Oh, you like watching a bunch of grown men smashing into each other on the gridiron?” Smaug asked.

“No, dude, it’s the commercials.”

Now I’m supposed to tag three other bloggers to “Tell The Story” about this picture from Helena Lopes @ Unsplash:9DFA4E6A-7FF2-4412-B0BF-C282469FED3B.jpegSo who am I going to pick? Let’s try:

Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (hindsight), Your Daily Word Prompt (tricky), and Ragtag Daily Prompt (gridiron).

20 thoughts on “Tell The Story — Half Time

1. Marleen February 3, 2019 / 10:21 pm

I was hoping for a football-related story. That was a good one.

(By the way… Woo-hooot for the winners, the Patriots!)

• Fandango February 3, 2019 / 10:56 pm

Yeah, I was very happy that the Pats won, although my wife is pissed at me. I’ll explain why in a post tomorrow.

• Marleen February 3, 2019 / 11:00 pm

Sleep tight. Don’t let the bed bugs, or dragons, bite.

2. Nova February 3, 2019 / 11:59 pm

Commercials are always the highlight of the Super Bowl 😂

3. Nova February 4, 2019 / 7:00 am

I got nothing…. I don’t know what’s on that plate and no story in a timely manner.

• Fandango February 4, 2019 / 8:05 am

Don’t worry about it. Sometime it clicks and sometimes it doesn’t.

4. Clever Girl February 4, 2019 / 12:55 pm

What do I need to do? I don’t know most of the blogger protocol… sorry!

• Fandango February 4, 2019 / 2:14 pm

Simple. Just take the photo I displayed at the bottom of my post and write a story about it on your blog. And then link back to my post. Let me know if you still have questions.